Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post at BON that really pissed me off & when I re-read it, I thought, "This guy sounds like some arrogant snob Bullitt owner who's probably never even done major work on a car." That got me thinking - Are there any genuine gearheads in this forum? I don't mean someone who can replace a waterpump or put new plugs & wires on, but has anyone here:
Pulled an engine
Swapped a cam
Rebuilt a carb
Changed drum brakes
Upgraded an ignition
Welded an exhaust
Rebuilt a tranny
I don't ask to see how much more I know about the actual mechanical workings of cars, but rather to gage how many people pour blood & sweat into their vehicles. I guess that BON thread just reminded me of some Impala SS owners I've met who look down on those of us with ex-cop cars like we're wannabe's, yet they have to take their BeaSSt in just to get the Mobil 1 changed. Screw that! If you like the car great, don't dog others because they prefer something else & work hard to make it that way. That's the end of my meandering post. Just curious how many people work on their own car.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Gearhead here.......been working on my own cars for the past 17 years...1st car was a 73 mach1 w/351m. went to school and got Bacholers degree in Auto/Diesle engeneering and Repair. Dont work on anyone elses car anymore,except friends,and fellow Bullitt owners.

·
Registered
214 Posts
One here too, cars and bikes. Torn them down and built them back up. Sometimes just to see whats inside. Now where does this part go?

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
Now where does this part go?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

ROFLMAO

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Never had to do a transmission or exhaust work before. Engine rebuilds, heads, carbs, ignition systems, brakes, AC, cooling.

Some of the basics.

Righty tighty lefty lucy

Save all extra parts that you don't put on that way we can look through them later and wonder where the hell did that come from.

What the hell does the engineer know, two thirds of the bolts are good enough.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
based on the comments and postings i've been reading from the Bullittheads since the beginning of April, i'd guess about 1/3 of Bullitt owners are very mechanically inclined. another 3rd do minor mechanical work, and the rest are like me...........VERY good at punching the little #'s on the telephone keypad to find someone who can do the work and not #*@# it up like i would!!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Degree in auto repair, apprenticed in a Porsche shop, do all my own rebuilding and modifying.

After 30+ years of wrenching on cars, I am still learning.. :smile: Need that damn efi/emissions diagnostic manual for the Bullitt.

brian

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
hey brian, i have a question for you.
since you have the manuals, what Motorcraft plugs came with our Bullitts? if they are standart plugs, would you recommend upgrading to platinums and/or split tips?
thanks!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Mystang... I haven't had a chance to fully read the manuals yet. I would think the plug number is in your owners manual though. Not even sure if they are platinums or conventional plugs. For a stock car, the plugs in it should be fine. Platinums are great for longevity as long as you are keeping the car relatively stock and you can run them for 75K or more, nice when you have 8 coils to pull.. :smile:. Platniums are lousy for forced induction though.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Manual calls for

AWSF-32P

I believe these are the same ones I had in my 95 T-Bird and the regular Motorcraft plus were the best. I tried several other brands and none of them came out looking as good as the Motorcraft ones. Also when I ohmed the other plugs out the resistance would vary between 4 and 8 ohms. Even the 40,000 mile motorcraft plugs were with in like .2 of an ohm. For what it is worth I plan on using the Factory Motorcraft ones.

·
Registered
236 Posts
gearhead here to,used to have my own shop,we mostly did restro on older cars then I moved down to Texas...

2001 True Blue mustang bullitt #301, K&N filter,more to come...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bluebullitt on 2001-06-28 17:14 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
A nerd among gearheads I guess. I haven't come across anything I couldn't do yet with a manual or a build sheet. Including rebuilding the carb on my '78 LTD II. Helping my friends do a complete rebuild on his 351 Modified. And all the Fun work on a '86 LX 5.0 (Underdrive pullies, new driveshaft, Headers, GT40 intake and heads, brake work).
I've got a knack for being able to figure stuff out. I'm not about to go tearing apart my engine to put in a better set of pistons if I don't have but I could probably do it if I had to.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks Mid-Life

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The ultimate gearhead here! Came along during the heyday of the musclecar era. Toolmaker with 27 yrs. exp. Will make the hot part if it isn't available. The other Mustang is a sweet 9850 original mile 1985 LX,original 5.0,5 spd.,now with a 430 HP,351W, I built 2 yrs.ago. Before that a 408W,stroker, before that the original 302,with GT-40 heads...ran easy 12.65 at 109 in 1993. Now runs easy 11.7s in cool weather,at 118,street legal,with 3.89 gears and mild automatic trans setup.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well lets see.....5 ground up restos less paint work and engine internals. 2 Supercharger installations(Mustangs), numerous gear changes and countless parts changes,small mods etc...Yeah I guess I'm one!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts