Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take my Bullitt to the shop I figured I'd see if anyone had any ideas advice as to what this could be. Did an oil change and new brake pads last weekend. Now I am hearing a clunking/ clanking sound in the front suspension/wheel area, more toward the passenger side wheel well, and I can feel the oscilation (sp?) type vibration occasionally throught the shift knob just rolling and not applying the brakes. If I quickly hit the brakes or tap them it clunks. I took the wheel back off and the caliper and pads seem fine, ie fitting properly and the pin is fine, any ideas as to what this could be? I have been driving it around and it is fine one mile and clanking the next. The brakes are working fine and the light hasn't come on, although the pedal effort does seem harder now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:

Well, it looks like the calipers are not releasing all the way, causing the brake pads to stick to the rotor, causing the brake pads/calipers to rattle against the metal caliper frame. Do I need to flush the brake system to readjust the pressure?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Noise after brake pad change

Actually, the pads are always in contact with the rotors. When braking the system multiplies your pedal effort and increases the pad/rotor friction.
The inside and outside pads on a front rotor are not interchangeable. The outside pad has a thin insulator bonded to it.
There are spring metal clips with rubber inserts on the ends of each pad next to the retaining pin.
If your replacement pads did not come with them, you must transfer them to the new pads.
The front calipers are self centering, and you must clean and lubricate the track that the pad ends slide in.
Test if the front calipers move freely, with a front wheel off, grab the red caliper and push the pony face away from you and then pull the whole caliper back towards you. It should move freely if the slides are clean and lubricated with hi temperature grease.
Also double check all fasteners. Even the ones you may not have touched, like those holding the caliper to the spindle.
Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, well there's one problem. Didn't re-install the clips. I will re install those. Problem is, one of the rubber inserts is gone, is this going to cause a big problem?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Make sure that the hose\caliper did not get twisted while you had them off.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had the same problem on mine... Changed pads right after I bought it, and a couple weeks ago, it did the same thing you describe. It started out as a suspension clunk and finally manifested into a horrendous noise in the front end. It felt like the front was trying to come apart. But it all went away with application of the brakes.

"Anti-Rattle Clips" That's the problem... My old clips had broken, replaced the pads, greased all contact points, and back in the street! Problem gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts