Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after alot of talking about it, and three years of listening to Dave Ramsey we are starting to read his "Total Money Makeover" book. We just feel like we make enough money that we should be in a better financial situation. I was going through the math today, and I realized that we could be saving about $1300/mo, but because we eat out all the time, and do stupid stuff with money, and pay credit cards and interst we are killing ourselves, and just making it.

I cut up 7 credit cards today. Any encouraging words? I am going to the DMV in a day or two and get a custom tag that says DEBTFRE to constantly remind me of what we are working for.

The hard part is going to be getting my wife to give up her 2001 GTP, and settle for a cheap car for a year or two.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i too follow dave ramsay! i currently owe on my wife's 07 honda accord v6. But that is all the debt we have.. You see i am a newly wed and we still rent.. No House, but we are saving as much money as we can while i am in school (just started 4 yrs left) but by then we will be able to make the jump to pay a HUGE down payment on a house.. Honda will be payed off by the time i finish school.... So then LORD WILLING we will be out of debt and i will be looking for an ACCOUNTING job! Well this is the plan anyway... NO kids yet, but if the LORD blesses us with children before then we will have to adjust our plan a little... What is dave's big saying "Children do what feels good and Adults devise a plan and follow it"

Good luck man and daylight will shine through!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yep, stick with it. I've done everything he said. Just have a house to deal with right now. But, being military I'll be selling it in about 3 years so I'm not really trying to pay it off. It's a great feeling to not owe any money. It can be hard when you want something and don't have the cash. I really, really want to buy the new Bullitt. However, I know if I wait a little I can get one barey used for 10k less and write a check for it.

The cash envelope system works if you are strong enough to follow through. You'll be amazed at how much left over money you have each month and that just gets added to the next month. All of a sudden something happens and you're like, 'no big deal...got the cash right here'. Or better yet, 'I need a mod...got the cash right here!' So, keep the budget and follow it. Use cash only (I still use a debit card though).

The best part will be the feeling of no stress in your relationship about money. You won't even realize it until one day it just hits you. You two will look at each other and say, 'how cool is this?' You'll also laugh (and feel sorry for) all the people around you that insist on flushing their money away. Right now you don't see it, but you will discover that we are surrounded by a lot of financial idiots.

Anyways, it's all common sense...he was just the smart one to write a couple of books about it, start a radio show and now a TV show. PM me if you have any questions. I don't want to sound too much like a snob on here. But, I'm proud of the sacrifice and the position I've put my family in for the future. I preach this stuff to friends all the time. Most just blow it off and I just shake my head in pity.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We are well on our way! we aim to stay out of debt forever except for a house, which we will have a large down payment and a 15 yr mortgage only... No 30 yrs here...
I too have the mod for the bullitt fever! But unfortunately i don't have an envelope for it (stupid of me i know)...

by the way where are you located i am in Starkville, Mississippi
go dawgs!

Thanks for the encouragement!
Tyler

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Way to go. Another great book is "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind" by T. Harv Ecker. Similar advice by the sounds of it, but worth reading. If you get a chance, do his "Millionaire Mind Intensive" weekend. If you buy the book, it usually includes 2 free tickets to the weekend. My wife and I went and really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting my wife onboard is tough. I showed her a game plan and the first thing out of her mouth was...this is impossible. You guys have any advice on how to get her more on board?

I showed her all my cut up credit cards, and she refuses to cut up her 3.

·
Registered
342 Posts
pay her cards off, call and cancel them and cut them up for her! You see with my wife and i she was the one who started me on the envelope system before we got married and i saw how it worked! i was hooked! maybe if you can convince her to just try it a couple of months and she will be hooked too! tell her you can make her an envelope just for her to use how she wants to? that might be an incentive...

·
Registered
342 Posts
get her to listen to dave's cds.... maybe she will see how much sense the program makes and jump in head first!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It really confuses me because she is one of those common sense rules the world type people, where everything is pretty logical in her mind, and everything is common sense. The place where she losses that is the money side I guess. I am two chapters into the Total Money Makeover book, and I like it, its an easy read, and I gotta figure out how to get her on board.

I am going to buy one of those little plastic flexible files where you can coupons in and try to use that as the envelope part.

I told her about using the debit cards less, and start using cold hard cash more and she 1/2 way agreed to that!

I promised to stop ebaying as much unless I am selling something...which I have PLENTY to sell!!!

Jared

·
Registered
342 Posts
sounds like a good start! My wife and i have stuck to this since before we got married... i am only 22 and i have 2 paid for vehicles, Bullitt 1147 and my daily driver 02 gmc sierra, my wife has the honda (and she has suggested to sale it so we won't have a note) i don't want her to get stranded anywhere so that is why she has the new car.... my truck only has 83k on it and the bullitt 73k her honda 7k.. So we have reliable transportation for a long time!

I think dave doesn't condon debit cards just credit cards... Personally i use 1 credit card which is my WalMart card for gas only! I drive 30 miles to work one way every day so its just easier plus i save 3 cents per gallon with it! pay it off every month. no unpaid balances. i think that is fine if you can keep it under control... One way i do that is that credit card has a 450 limit so even if i max it out my emergency fund will take care of it....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I spent somemore time reading last night and talking to my wife. She is slowly letting go of the GTP I think. I took her to work today and I told her I was going to spend the day cleaning it up, and she said, "Why so you can ____ it? Dont say it." I told her that its about time I put my foot down on something, and our financial future and the future of our kids is it. We talked about the budget last night, and we talked about building an emergency fund, and selling the GTP. I showed her that in about 15 months we could go write a check for a $6k car for her, and own nothing. The first 5-6 months would be paying debt off, and then start saving for her new car. I have decided to go on autotrader and start showing her the cars that she likes priced under $6k. That is kind of different from Daves plan, but if I cant get her on board with Dave I have to try something else. We have been talking about it for 1.5 years, and its time we stopped talking and started doing!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have been listening to Dave for about 2 years on the radio. I have finally gotten mad enough at my debt. I have a written budget now and I my snowball is starting to gain some traction. I can't wait to be debt free. I wish I found before I got all this debt. Right now I am just happy the Bullitt is paid for. Unfortunately I am the spender in my marriage. I haven't used a credit card since listening to him. I am going to his show next month in INDY. I can't wait to go. If I don't keep listening to him I fall back to my old ways. I can't wait to call in and scream "We're debt free!!!" I hope you will be able to do the same.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my wife finally came 85% onboard. we are eatting at home, we wrote up a budget, and we put the Grand Prix on ebay. I am selling my truck, and we are buying an inexpensive Dodge Intrepid for $3-4k as a get by family car. This will cut $6-7k of our debt, and we should be able to pay the rest off in 5-7 months. Then we will save our emergency fund, and start retirement funds and have no car or credit card or other debt payments. I am really excited, and I am gearing up for a part time job in the evenings.

Jared

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does make me feel like a better husband and dad already. It will really hit me when we get to that first "EMERGENCY" and nobody panics, we write a check and its handled without stress about where the money is going to come from!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts