1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 28 no kids & Im about to become one
Im happy as can be & Love these 2 ppl more than anything
Now this is where I would like some input
Her girl is 4 years old her first married was bad the real dad sucked etc & for now is in jail he stole money from his company
but I look for him to haul ass when he gets out anyway & they broke it off over 3 years ago
But if your a step Dad what do they call you
I will adopt if we can
It got to me last night when she was singing a song & it had Dad in it & she did not know what to sing
I would guess in a her mind Im Dad but called Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey...sounds almost the same to me. I am 27, with a girl with a 5 year old son. We are not married yet, but will be in the future. Her son asked if he could call me daddy when I first moved in. His mom told him no...not until we were married. Her last man ran out, and she let him call him daddy, so she doesn't want to do that again.

I have to agree though, it does feel good. He runs around saying "When you marry my mommy, I get to call you daddy". Its very cute.

As far as I am concerned...if you are raising em, you are the dad. Maybe not the father...but you are definately the dad.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I guess that being from the other side of the fence, my feelings are totally different. My ex started seeing my "best friend" behind my back, and were even seen out together with my then 1-year old son in public. We got divorced, they got married, and now the jerk is the step-dad for my son. They have always made him call him dad, and I have a real problem with that. They also enrolled him in school with the other guys last name, even though our divorce papers say they can't change his name without my approval. Of course I didn't give my approval, but they just lied to the school. I've always paid quite a bit in child support each month, and have a good relationship with my now 15 year old son, but he only has one "Dad", IMO. If the real dad is a deadbeat, though, I can see the other side. :smile:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I fall in the whole step dad thing somewhere. I was raised by a step-father, who by the way I always called dad. More because he made me feel like his son. He took a real interest in raising me along with his 2 sons. I got divorced when my kids were young, but I was always there for them. They didn't call their step-father dad. I think it was because I was always in their life. The bottom line is that your soon to be step-children should want to call and respect you as thier dad. You should want to be their dad and not just their mothers husband. Good luck and I'll offer up the private e-mail if you like.

Anthony
TB #2979

·
Registered
302 Posts
i have know knowledge in this subject. but i think it depends on how comfortable you all feel about calling you dad not calling you dad. it's like picking the color of your car dhg is nice, black is nice but tb is for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Moljay...I can see your point man...I guess it really does depend on the situation. I wouldn't want my son calling that guy dad either. But for me...he's never had a dad. He left as soon as he found out she was pregnant, and never looked back. So I suppose I feel the way I do because I am the closest to a dad he's ever had.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I definitely see that side, Nick. If the original is a deadbeat, he doesn't deserve the title. You'd think that after 13 years, I wouldn't be bitter, but that has been my greatest struggle. Luckily, my son recognizes that I didn't just bail on him, regardless of the lies he has been told, and we have a great relationship. Just wanted to point out that "Real" dads do hurt when the title is stripped from them. But, in the long run, it was worth biting my tongue. :smile:

:bullitt:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts