Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE Anyone do just heads and cams.....was it worth it?

UPDATE to my plan for a little more Bullitt power might be limited to a VT Stage II head and cam swap,due to my budget. They claim 300 RWHP with this on a stock Bullitt. I don't plan on full length headers. Any info from others who have done this swap?

I decided to start with headers first. Have a set of KOOK'S with the X-pipe on the way!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About $2,600 for the complete head and cam setup,plus add in for new head bolts,gaskets. I would do the install. Have built a lot of Windsors,but be my first Mod Motor. Punched in 50 more Flywheel HP on my Drag Sim. program,and it shows a 13.3 ET at 105.3 MPH. That is over my best of 13.7 at 102 with what I have with 3.73 gear on the stock tires. About like a well driven '03-'04 stock Mach 1.
I would be happy.
Other than that, The KB supercharger would be another option,with the stock Bullitt heads and cam,but well out of my budget at over $6,000!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
It should be a pretty easy swap for you Larry. I pulled apart plenty of 4.6l 2v and 4v motors when I was a tech. The 2v mod motors are pretty simple in design really. You can find a swap article in the MM&FF archives. Can't comment on whether or not it would be worth it, but if I had the choice and the $$$ I'd always put the $$$ into the motor BEFORE slapping on a power adder. Better breathing in N/A trim will only improve with a power adder, so you can't lose.

·
Car Whisperer
20,881 Posts
Mus408 said:
My plan for a little more Bullitt power might be limited to a VT Stage II head and cam swap,due to my budget. They claim 300 RWHP with this on a stock Bullitt. I don't plan on full length headers. Any info from others who have done this swap?

Glad you asked that. I am in the same boat, wondering what I could do. Seems like it would wind up even more though since after the swap, a tune and dyno session is going to be in order to get everything set straight. Too bad someone hasn't come up with a kit like they do with the superchargers where you get everything as a package including the tune or at least the availability of going on line and downloading it into your Predator (for example).

I've never had a mod motor apart. Don't you need some special tools for the cams or something? I know when I did the valve adjustment on my SHO, you had to have special tools and although it was a PITA, it still could be done relatively easily, once you had done it.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Larry, Take a look at Kerry's mods. About what you want to do. 348 RWHP. Not bad.

T/B #3826 ....3.73's, Alum. D/S BBK O/R X-pipe,BBK Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back,Heads ported and polished as well as cams, Ferrea Stainless Steel valves all work done by Powerheads.Tuned by Murillo Motorsports, 348 RWHP, 346RWTQ.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I think your simulator is underestimating your 1/4 mile improvement, or at least your trap speed :) You should be looking at, at least 107mph. Hell, my car went almost 105 before it was tuned. If I do heads and cams and it doesn't trap at 109-110, I'm going to be disappointed.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of varibles when setting up a simulator run. I entered data that was close to my best run with the Bullitt,as it was then. Next I plugged in an additional 50 flywheel HP,did not figure any header gain, and that was the result. Comes out the same as a stock Mach 1 run. I figure the ported 2V,with the mild 1st level cam upgrade,is about on par with the 4V Mach engine.
When you figure launch RPM,you have no input for slipping the clutch a bit on a 2000 RPM start. This has a big input on the run.
It just gives you a close estimate of improvement.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
GUys, check my mods. I have done exactly what you are talking about. My best run was a 13.7 at 107. Now keep in mind that was my first time at a strip. I spun through 1st and 2nd on my Yokohama AVS's. I am sure with lower control arms and D/R's I would be in the 12's. The car can definitely be there with a better driver for sure. I am not experienced enough to get it there yet. But the car is more than capable.
PM me if you have questions.
Kerry

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Bullitthead Ag said:
That's 100hp more at the rear wheels than mine, so that must feel good. I'll bet 315s become a necessity at this power level.
I'd like to say they were a necessity but the reality is I did it for the look. Initially traction was pretty good. But after the first 5000-8000 miles traction went south. I am definitely going to get LCA's and D/R's. Maybe go to 4.10's also.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kujo362 said:
GUys, check my mods. I have done exactly what you are talking about. My best run was a 13.7 at 107. Now keep in mind that was my first time at a strip. I spun through 1st and 2nd on my Yokohama AVS's. I am sure with lower control arms and D/R's I would be in the 12's. The car can definitely be there with a better driver for sure. I am not experienced enough to get it there yet. But the car is more than capable.
Kerry
Those are some good numbers on the HP! I'm also thinking about a complete 304 stroker engine assembly,by VT. That would give some added torque in the 2000 thru 3500 RPM range,which is where you are at most of the time. It will be a good while before I get to that point.
The headers are a good investment to build on.

·
Registered
279 Posts
For $2600 you can buy a used supercharger. Less work then doing the heads plus more power. I bought my Vortech for $2000 with mass a meter, injectors, power pipe and fuel pump. Deals are out there.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
The point is HP N/A. Larry is right in that there is no reason that Ford should not have a 400 HP N/A engine. The newest Chevy engines get 400HP off the dealer lot. Blower is easy HP but comes at a risk unless the motor is forged or you have a very conservative tune. These motors can't take 400HP for very long, Double J being the exception. here if you race or drive it hard expect it to go. I would be more than happy with a 100 HP jump but I also don't race. Kujo's was not that much more expensive and his sounds great with the cams! For me it would still be around 4K even with the used SC. I would have to have it installed and tuned. Dyno time is not cheap. 400-600 for a tune alone.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have done heads and cams but I had my own heads ported. I didn't go with a big port job because the money was tight at the time. All I had ported was the intake and exhaust basicly gasket matched. It is worth it if you do the work yourself but it can get very pricey.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Kujo362 said:
Kerry
Kujo362: 348 RWHP, 346RWTQ with cams and ported heads (tuned)...
What would be the difference in hp numbers if blown...??? Like in my case. Lets say we put 8-10psi to your motor using my Novi2000.... What should be expected? Or will these N/A cams not work as well under boost?
Just wondering here... next project for me is all out forged VT stroker 302, ported heads and cams, intercooler and Kooks longtubes.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Heads/Cams/LT's and my current mods along with the upcoming Nitrous kit will be as far I want to go for the next couple years. That should be well into the low 12's or high 11's maybe lower. After that I want to stroke and forge the short block. I kinda want the engine bay to appear stock when I open the hood. All they will see is the Nitrous.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts