Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't matter if I drive all day and wash the car in the evening but these rust within 5 minutes of getting wet and look like this by the time i'm done drying the car off . I think it's an inferior metal/steel used in the rotors and will bring it up to the service dept at my next oil change , Guess i'll never need to have them turned if they'll never glaze from excessive use.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Mine did that when we were down in Myrtle beach, not quite as bad but close, but since i have been home they are good. I think the high salt content in the air along the seaboard has a great deal to do with it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None of my other vehicles do this , Including the '99 F-150 I bought new and traded in on the Bullitt,I'm like 25 miles from the coast , Doesn't really bother me , just makes a mess

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and no one else thinks this is a problem? Seems the rotors would prematurely wear thinner faster than normal ? Everytime it gets washed they rust and lose an extra 1000th of an inch or however much , Like I said,none of my other vehicles have done it washed or sitting outside over night

·
Registered
317 Posts
I seemd to notice this the first few times I washed the car. I dont know if it does it any more.

Do a few high speed stops and see if it helps it.. e.g 100-0 as fast and safely as you can. It might be a break-in issue.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Hi Guys,
Yup, even my Powerslot Cryo rotors do this when washed or if left out on a damp night.

However, when kept in a dehumidified garage, no problem.

Oh yes, when you finish washing the car just drive it a short distance while braking and the rotors clean right up.

·
Premium Member
13,063 Posts
FlaFyrman said:
Seems the rotors would prematurely wear thinner faster than normal?
This is by design actually, but the rust itself is not necessarily a wear factor.
Since pad material is harder post asbestos days, rotor metallurgy has also
changed to be softer and more ferrous (read pig iron) in the alloy. Americans do not like the inherent disc brake squeal. Generically speaking, harder pads = softer rotors to remove squeal, which also = faster rotor wear rates, higher incidence of warpage, and faster rusting....
The surface rust is not a wear issue however, one swipe of the pads and the rust is gone.
Cryo treated rotors are not necessarily any less prone to this.
All Cryo does is immerse in L-nitrogen to create a denser alloy crystal.
With the crappy alloys out there, there is greater chance of impurities creating
stress cracks etc....cryo helps to reduce this risk (interesting, even though cryo processes generally make metals more brittle). But, the basic alloy is the same....where there is free iron...there will be rust.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Mine does it too from time to time. I haven't paid attention to the circumstances.

·
Registered
495 Posts
That's a common sight, though there is more rust than usual there. Our test vehicles would do this all the time when they sat for a couple weeks. I think the other part of it is that you get a good view of the discs with this rims.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
hey david,
looks like we got those new "turn me not" rotors to go along with our upgraded pads. to bad they don't rust in dark agent huh?? :camo: :camo: :camo:
Like I said , just causes a bigger mess than normal when driven while still wet then it's like slinging rust colored mud inside the wheels,After washing i've always used my gas powered leaf blower to blow the bulk of the water off the wheels,out of the grill,out of the wiper cowl,out of the side mirrors and side quarter window before I wipe it down with a microfiber clothe,

Looks what's coming my way ,

Guess my rotors will stay wet for a couple days straight from this storm , Yes I tried the 100 to 0 stop , figured maybe they needed a good heat treatment but all it yielded me was a speeding ticket ,65 in a 45 zone while braking

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Every newer car I've owned,07' Vette,4 s197 Mustangs and an 06' Charger R/T all do this after a wash.Common occurance.Makes the Bullitt look like it has rusty drums to add to the 60's retro look:lol:

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
FlaFyrman said:
Doesn't matter if I drive all day and wash the car in the evening but these rust within 5 minutes of getting wet and look like this by the time i'm done drying the car off . I think it's an inferior metal/steel used in the rotors and will bring it up to the service dept at my next oil change , Guess i'll never need to have them turned if they'll never glaze from excessive use.

YES, that is just the way it is.

They will look just like that after washing your Bullitt.

All is well and Good !!!!!!!!!

There is NO-Problem !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I can actually see mine going 'red' as I wash the car - I always go for a quick drive after washing to dry them out - I've done this on every car I've owned, so it's no big deal.
On my other cars I've also used expensive after-market competition brakes and rotors, so it's not necessarily a defect...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.