Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much made up my mind to go ahead and stay with the 3650 for now, even thought I have found some awesome deals on T-56's. But I need to save where I can and I'm good with the 3650 when it works right. :lol:

Anyway I'm thinking very seriously about using Smart Parts Automotive after checking out their site but I would like to know if anyone has used them or maybe know someone that has. I would like to know if I'm getting a quality part or a so/so one. Please advise.

http://www.smartpartsauto.com/manual_transmission_tr3650_mustang.html

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I think that is the place where my son got the tranny for his 2000 Mustang GT. He broke his driveshaft and destroyed the tranny. Got a new 3650 and a FRPP aluminum driveshaft. They are in the Dallas area and not too far from where my son lives so he picked it up rather than having it shipped. The tranny he got was a new one that appears to have been overstock from Ford. They had a pallet of them and he just grabbed one. Only cost him $650.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frankenstang said:
that's who I would go with.
Why is that? I mean have you had good experience with them?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.ddperformance.com/Specials.htm

Look at the bottom of the page. I had already talked to them about there new T-56 complete package yesterday but didn't even look for the 3650 there. At D&D it's still a rebuilt one for a hair less but half the warranty.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have bought 2 or 3 complete transmissions not 3650s and alot of parts, gears, clutches, t-5 rebuilding kits etc. I have had good luck with D&D. They offer a reman 3650 for 999. I am just saying the new ones may still have grind trouble, but a rebuilt may be better. Another good place is Hanlon motorsports but I think they deal with just t-5s and tkos I could be wrong. The only reason I bought from Hanlon is D&D was out of stock on some items. Also D&D has 3650 parts. When the time comes for me and if I dont have the time to rebuild or the parts are crazy money I will just get the reman from D&D. You have to give them a call there web sight isnt the best.

·
Registered
190 Posts
sganow said:
I think that is the place where my son got the tranny for his 2000 Mustang GT. He broke his driveshaft and destroyed the tranny. Got a new 3650 and a FRPP aluminum driveshaft. They are in the Dallas area and not too far from where my son lives so he picked it up rather than having it shipped. The tranny he got was a new one that appears to have been overstock from Ford. They had a pallet of them and he just grabbed one. Only cost him $650.
That was me. I've had mine in my car for 3 months now and it works great! When I was looking around for different tranny's for my car, this was the best deal I came across for a NEW 3650. The guy owns a powder coating business called "Burleson Powder Coating" in Burleson, TX, very nice guy. He partners with a guy who does auto repair and they buy Ford overstock to resell. I would seriously consider them.

Scott

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have bought 2 or 3 complete transmissions not 3650s and alot of parts, gears, clutches, t-5 rebuilding kits etc. I have had good luck with D&D. They offer a reman 3650 for 999. I am just saying the new ones may still have grind trouble, but a rebuilt may be better. Another good place is Hanlon motorsports but I think they deal with just t-5s and tkos I could be wrong. The only reason I bought from Hanlon is D&D was out of stock on some items. Also D&D has 3650 parts. When the time comes for me and if I dont have the time to rebuild or the parts are crazy money I will just get the reman from D&D. You have to give them a call there web sight isnt the best.
I was thinking the same thing. Yes I did call and talked to a couple places and there not installing what they think should have gone in the 3650 but there installing the latest greatest rebuild kits offered for the 3650. I can live with that.

00crstlwhtgt said:
That was me. I've had mine in my car for 3 months now and it works great! When I was looking around for different tranny's for my car, this was the best deal I came across for a NEW 3650. The guy owns a powder coating business called "Burleson Powder Coating" in Burleson, TX, very nice guy. He partners with a guy who does auto repair and they buy Ford overstock to resell. I would seriously consider them.

Scott
Thanks so much for the info! Yes D&D has better prices but there warranty isn't that good IMHOP. I think I'll be calling them some more when time permits for more details. Is there a certain person that you dwelt with?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
texasbullitt said:
a lot of local shops use these folks so ......
Huh? You talking about Smart Parts?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well for an update.

Last Saturday I changed out the Transmission & installed the Spec 1 clutch and flywheel assembly.

I've got 250 miles on it so far and there are no issues. The new clutch is something to get used to but I'm happy with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts