Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is one mean looking car. I might pick one up unless Ford can offer something comparable by '09.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Excited no. I like it but with the cost of an SRT 8 at or above a GT500 not much point getting excited. With production to only be somewhere around 30,000 total including V-6 there is a lot of incentive for the dealers to charge ADMs even after normal production starts on the SRT 8 and RTs.

When I was in San Francisco I asked what Ford had planned to compete with the Challenger and Camaro. Their response was "trust us". I'm not holding my breath but hopeful.

It's 3 months before it comes out and it's this bad....

Buy it now price for 54K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Dodge-Challenger-SRT8-HEMI_W0QQitemZ170183861679QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Silver-Met-MyGIG-Navigation-Sunroof-Performance-Tires_W0QQitemZ140196790446QQihZ004QQcategoryZ6198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-DODGE-CHALLENGER_W0QQitemZ260201584858QQihZ016QQcategoryZ6198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I like it, would choose it over the camaro if i had to choose one of the two, but not over a GT500.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Like the Challenger? Yeah, it gives Mustang guys something to beat up on besides the usual Chevy...J/K!

It looks great, but then I think the Cuda would look even better. Remember the 340 Cudas from the 70s? They were really sharp for a Chrysler ponycar!:smile:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, I like it. They got the styling right.
But then the 340 'Cuda was my favorite non-Ford car in '70-'72.

My beefs:
too expensive, and too heavy.
Is there a manual shift available ?
What shade of green can I get ?

rd

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I saw one at the auto show last year..its huge..its the same size as a charger...maybe dodge buyers and their kids are fat and need the extra room

·
Registered
591 Posts
I like it... I think it'll look great in my rear view mirror!!! Along with the new camaro :bigguns: and what about that new Corvette ZR-1 with eaton's new twin screw blower...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
No doubt about it this is a fine ride.

As far as the ADM(s) go there is NO WAY I would pay that much for one of those.

Production at approx. 30,000 units to include V-6 production ... ROFLMAO ... THEY'RE GONNA LOSE!

Since I haven't driven any of the Shelby Mustangs or 08 BULLITT yet (nor this new MOPAR) I can't fairly comment on performance comparisons but I will say that I expect FORD to outsell them across the board if the MOPAR prices are going to be that high.

Gotta remember ... WE ALL just got hit hard below the belt by those CLOWNS we put in Congress who just passed the new future C.A.F.E. standards. It's indeed going to be interesting to see how all this has turned out by this time next year.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Ford seems to be headed towards the V-6 Turbo EcoBoost engine. 340hp 3.5L V-6, This will be the optional engine in the Lincoln MKS starting in 2009 in place of a V-8. Besides having higher specific efficiency than a larger normally aspirated engine, the smaller EcoBoost units also save weight and size. The 3.5L saves over 150 lbs. compared to the 4.6L V-8 also helping contribute to fuel efficiency savings of up to 20%.One of the other major advantages of EcoBoost is that it provides efficiency benefits at under all driving conditions, not just urban stop and go or just highway. The GTDI V-6 in the MKS will be rated at approximately 340hp and 340lb-ft of torque when it's introduced, which puts it well past either the Volvo 4.4L V-8 or Ford's own 4.6L. In the transverse engine configuration of the MKS, the transmission and the rest of the drivetrain are actually the limiting factor in performance. When the GTDI V-6 goes into longitudinal configurations like the Explorer, it will be able to have an even higher output.

I know we are a V-8 crowd but at 340 HP and 150 lb weight savings.... put that engine in a Mustang and it will sell!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Ford seems to be headed towards the V-6 Turbo EcoBoost engine. 340hp 3.5L V-6, This will be the optional engine in the Lincoln MKS starting in 2009 in place of a V-8. Besides having higher specific efficiency than a larger normally aspirated engine, the smaller EcoBoost units also save weight and size. The 3.5L saves over 150 lbs. compared to the 4.6L V-8 also helping contribute to fuel efficiency savings of up to 20%.One of the other major advantages of EcoBoost is that it provides efficiency benefits at under all driving conditions, not just urban stop and go or just highway. The GTDI V-6 in the MKS will be rated at approximately 340hp and 340lb-ft of torque when it's introduced, which puts it well past either the Volvo 4.4L V-8 or Ford's own 4.6L. In the transverse engine configuration of the MKS, the transmission and the rest of the drivetrain are actually the limiting factor in performance. When the GTDI V-6 goes into longitudinal configurations like the Explorer, it will be able to have an even higher output.

I know we are a V-8 crowd but at 340 HP and 150 lb weight savings.... put that engine in a Mustang and it will sell!
Yes, it will sell. I'm not too excited about not having a V-8 in a Mustang but if they have to downsize (or down-option ... ???) the "family cars" or "daily driver cars" to keep a good V-8 available for a Mustang GT then I'm all for it. Hopefully it will balance out the C.A.F.E. limitations. If this becomes reality and I decide to buy a Lincoln then I wouldn't be bothered by a V-6 turbo or S/C car. The S/C V-6 in the T-bird seemed successful and that car was heavy!

Our "family car" right now is a 2005 Jeep Liberty with the 3.9 N-A V-6 and it serves us quite well for what we use it for. Obviously, it is NOT the family "hot rod" but is very dependable and hasn't given us any trouble at all. Kinda torquey, too. It is still in 100% stock trim and will stay that way. It's the wife's daily driver (although I would like to dual it out and get a CAI for gas mileage).

I'm kind of surprised they didn't take the recent T-bird 3.9 DOHC V-8 and offer it as a mid-option V-8 for the Mustang from 2002 up to the present. By "mid-option" I mean the V-6, then the 3.9 DOHC V-8 (in a "pony" version ... ???), then the 281 and 331, and so on.

Could be with the new C.A.F.E. standards something like the 3.9 DOHC V-8 is the "future" GT V-8 if we don't get stuck with a V-6 as the biggest engine (keeping fingers crossed). I do like the "INTERCEPTOR" concept RWD platform.

Just a thought, anyway.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The first year there are only supposed to be SRT8 models available for the Challenger. That will only vome with the oh soo boring but strong 5spd autotragic with sport shift on the console. Supposedly in the 2nd model year the SRT8 will be offered with a 6spd manual and the 5spd auto. The V6 and 5.7L models will be available too. The srt8 model coming next year is supposed to be right at $40k after delivery and gass guzzler tax.

Do I like it. Hell yes. Glad American car companies are gtting some style back in em. They got kinda bland for awhile. It will be nice to see the new muscle car wars pan out this year. I'll actually be back on US soild to see it happen too. I have been over here since the S197 mustang came out soo I've only seen 3 in person.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I'm really excited about the Challenger. I would take it over a new 'maro or a GT500. And, for those who liked the Cuda (who didn't?!?!?), check this out.

And, the pure awesomeness!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I love the car. I would pick it over a camaro or gt500. I hope ford comes out with something equally great.

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
4fit? said:
motorauthority a while back and, yes, it is currently a concept. CLICK HERE for more pics and information.
Thanks for posting the Cuda.:cool: I couldn't find that photo posting yesterday.:confused: IMHO, it's better looking and a more believable retro than the Challenger. But then I always thought the Cuda was better looking twin, even in the "old days"...:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
If what I read is true that they took 6000 firm orders in 2 days,

Then based on that I would say a lot of people are excited (well all of them anyway)

PS. I really like it.

PPS. Cpmpare that the sales of the 2008 Bullitt, That is how to sell a car!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Most definitely that Cuda (and Challenger) are sweet rides but if priced the same I just couldn't get myself to choose it over a GT 500 convertible or GT500 KR. :badgrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts