Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
damn, can't find it anywhere! I had found some pennzoil 5W20 about 6 weeks ago at pep boys and decided not to buy it; bad move because they don't seem to have it anymore!

BTW..I called the 1-800 tech number at Mobil One and they indicated no plans to make a 5W20 synthetic. BOOOO!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
First oil change today at ~1600 miles. AMSOIL 5W20 which I ordered from http://www.amsoil.com

Everyone has brand preferences, and you may not want to shop online, but it was all I could get my hands on and I don't feel bad about it at all. (In the past I've been a Castrol Syntec man) I do think that there is info on their website regarding local distributors, but I didn't look at it. Next time I'll get a full case instead of just 6 qts. Just didn't quite have the $$...

Joe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-08-09 16:40 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-09 16:16, JB VOBRA wrote:

BTW..I called the 1-800 tech number at Mobil One and they indicated no plans to make a 5W20 synthetic. BOOOO!!!

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Really??? I had heard half the calls that came into Mobil were people asking when the 5w20 Mobil 1 would be available. I thought someone said they were working on it in fact. Oh well, a huge error on their part. Other synthetics can sneak in and take the growing market for 5w20 and Mobil can lose a little market share.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-08-09 17:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
Although I haven't found any yet, Art Hyde told me that he uses Castrol Syntec 5W20 in his Bullitt.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,029 Posts
Is it OK to change brands of oil? We put in synthetic 5W30 and if we found 5W20 that is a different brand, would it be OK to us it? What do you think?

Vicki

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
No problem with changing oil brands. I would like to find some synthetic also. May take a while as demand grows....$$$$ you know!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I talked to Pennzoil marketing here in Houston. They have the 5W20 in the synthetic blend on the market now, and are working on the full synthetic.

They said that the syn blend is actually what Ford uses for their Motorcraft label. That explains why that oil is so dark even when new.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-08-10 14:29 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Screw it! I have several 5 quart jugs of 5w30 Mobil 1. I think I am gonna go ahead and use it. I see no reason why a 5w30 synthetic wouldn't be superior to a 5w20 petroleum.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've decided to go with Royal Purple 5W20 (its actually a race weight oil that meets oem specs for 5w20). I found it at Houston Performance.

thanks to Steve Drier, my parts bud (281-893-6080)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Received the following reply to an e-mail I sent to Castrol:

Castrol GTX 5W-20 exceeds Ford specification WSS-M2C153-H. It also exceeds 2001
model
year service fill requirements for both Ford and Honda vehicles where an SAE
5W-20 motor oil
is specified. Advanced base oil technology meets API SJ, ILSAC GF-3; GF-2 and
the
anticipated API SL service categories.

Since the above product was only launched in early 2001, a full synthetic,
Syntec 5W-20 will not
happen this year. However, our Technical Department and the Brand Manager are
both well
aware that the public is waiting with bated breath for this grade to hit the
marketplace. Hopefully
next year will be the charm.

As far as using another grade for your Mustang, check in your owner's manual to
make sure that
the use of any other grade would not void the warranty on your vehicle.

Susan Howell
Reference: 102221

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just thought I'd point out that Amsoil 5W20 does meet WSS-M2C153-H. Not that I'm trying to push Amsoil or anything, just that it's available NOW. :smile:

Joe

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,029 Posts
I E-mailed Art Hyde today and he came back with this answer:

Actually, I own a 1999 Cobra and use 5W50 Castrol Syntech in it. Thanks for the info on Amsoil.

Art Hyde
Mustang Chief Program Engineer
Ford North American Car

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
In Mustang Times Vol.25 No.8 Art Hyde answers a readers question about using synthetic oils in his new Cobra. Art Hyde's response: "Synthetic oils can be introduced into the engine new, but more conveniently at the time of the first normal oil change. To maintain warranty coverage, the synthetic oil used must meet the Ford SL/GF3 5W30 oil grade and viscosity recommendation.
Additionally, we still recommend you change your oil every 5,000 miles (3,000 miles severe duty). Our evalution of synthetics shows a concern with compatibility to silicone-based seals/gaskets at high time in service. Since there are many various synthetic formulations on the market, it is difficult to give an overall general endorsement of synthetics or any particular brand. Ford Motorcraft oils are highly developed and tested, and provide the best overall lubrication performance for Ford engines. The high cost and limited benefits of synthetics prevents us from using them in produciton."

·
Registered
360 Posts
OKCBULLITT's post sort of answers my question which I will ask anyway. Amsoil's website recommends oil changes every 7500mi/6 mo. with their synthetic oil. I'm not comfortable waiting that long. Long-time synthetic oil users, how often do you change your oil?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Changed every 3k in my Thunderbird, Castrol Syntec. Using Amsoil 5w20 in the Bullitt. I put it in a few days ago at ~1600 mi, will change at 3k miles (1400 more miles) then every 3k thereafter.

Just MHO, I'm sure other people will have other equally valid intervals. I like to err on the conservative side, and oil changes aren't that expensive.

Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts