Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started last year but has become alot worse now,
Not sure what the cause is so don't know if I can help prevent it spreading even further
Is anyone else experiencing this

In perspective to the rest of the wheel

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Dang! are those the stock wheels or aftermarket?

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Well so far i havent had any problems with mine.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yes, much worse. But that is the cost of buying crap made in China... I bought my wheels back in 2005. Oh well, just gives me an excuse to repaint them...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yes if those are oe wheel replicas then u might expect that...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey Mike,
I'm curious, Your rear wheels appear to be a deep dish but do you have different wheels on the front.
I'm expecting my New Bullitt Deep Disher in Anthracite with Wheel Spinners & Sumimoto HP tires to arrive from American Muscle.

Great photo of your Bullitt.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Greetings UK 1815
This would drive me crazy. This shouldnt be happening with you having the rims for just over one year unless you were neglecting them in some way. It seems that the Clear Coat brokedown on the clear coated lips of the wheel? This happened to me many years ago on similar rim style I had on a 58 Corvette. I thought it might have been from my constantly polishing the lip of the rims and causing a break down of the clear coating. At any rate I was able to but the same type marks out of the rims but I was having to polish the hell out of them constantly.

You might inquire of a quality auto painter if having the wheels reclear coated is a possibility. I had a polished aluminum rim on my Blazer badly marked up and a guy at Les Schawb was able to grind out the bad marks and repolish it to make it like new. Also there are many Rim Refinishers out there that take you old marked up rims and make them look like new but they charge between $100 and $300.00 plus costly shipping to refinsh them but they are absolutely made to look New again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JosephCaputo said:
Greetings UK 1815
This would drive me crazy. This shouldnt be happening with you having the rims for just over one year unless you were neglecting them in some way. It seems that the Clear Coat brokedown on the clear coated lips of the wheel? This happened to me many years ago on similar rim style I had on a 58 Corvette. I thought it might have been from my constantly polishing the lip of the rims and causing a break down of the clear coating. At any rate I was able to but the same type marks out of the rims but I was having to polish the hell out of them constantly.

You might inquire of a quality auto painter if having the wheels reclear coated is a possibility. I had a polished aluminum rim on my Blazer badly marked up and a guy at Les Schawb was able to grind out the bad marks and repolish it to make it like new. Also there are many Rim Refinishers out there that take you old marked up rims and make them look like new but they charge between $100 and $300.00 plus costly shipping to refinsh them but they are absolutely made to look New again.
I've actually had these on for about 4,1/2 years, It started to appear like this about a year ago. It's only on the back ones, the fronts are aftermarket aswell, about 6 months newer and they're still perfect.
I totally agree about the quality as they only worked out to be around £80 each at the time, plus all the postage and duty, but you can't expect a great deal for that.
Looks like a refurb is on the way after summer, I keep looking at all the different styles other owners have, quite like the idea of the Anthracite colour changing to Black, or even all Chrome.
Umm, food for thought

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've had mine WR since 04 and have had no problems so far.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
JosephCaputo said:
Hey Mike,
I'm curious, Your rear wheels appear to be a deep dish but do you have different wheels on the front.
I'm expecting my New Bullitt Deep Disher in Anthracite with Wheel Spinners & Sumimoto HP tires to arrive from American Muscle.

Great photo of your Bullitt.
Hey pooter, thanks for the comps, my wheels are 18x9 and 18x10 wheel replica.
Have been really happy with them, no problems.
Bought them from MRT in 05, tires are BFGKDW 245/40 frt and 275/35 rr.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Clear coat going or gone= alum. corrosion starts without protection, needed wax (nothing abrasive) to protect the coat. That SUCKs!

·
Registered
387 Posts
uk1815 said:
This started last year but has become alot worse now,
Not sure what the cause is so don't know if I can help prevent it spreading even further
Is anyone else experiencing this

In perspective to the rest of the wheel
It could be the Yorkshire alloy disease :wink:

I've seen loads of alloys do this (other manufactures OE wheels) and mine has a couple of wheels that have done the same, I believe it's where the lacquer has got chipped and water has got under the top coating.

My fuel flap door has started doing the same also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts