Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey bullittheads,
Anyone here into karting/has a kart? I've been interested and looking into getting into karting for a while. Something like a TAG class car maybe? I'd like to hear what people here run/ would suggest? seems like it would be a ton of fun and competative racing.

Mike

·
Registered
359 Posts
Karting

Yes, 30 years ago I raced karts. Had a Yamaha KT100S on a Margay Cheetah frame with factory front disks and of coarse a disk on the live rear axle. Also had a blueprinted Mac 91B1 on alcohol and a 92. If I recall correctly, they were around 40 HP, good for 140 MPH with the correct gearing. I never got over 90 MPH a race. Goodyear Blue Streak slicks. Now, I only occasionally rent racing karts when on vacation, like in Montreal. It is very addictive. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
18,826 Posts
Mike, a karting fan here but probably not the level that you are looking in to...little more on the recreational side here. The first pic is of our family Go-Quad (adults easily ride as well as children) which is a recreational kart but has potential with a few mods to be somewhat of a performer...about 80 mph top speed. There is a club here in Cincinnati that races Go-Quads and our son Max (6) and daughter Hannah (9) may try racing at some point. The second pic is PY in 1972 with his trusty Sears & Roebuck kart (tank) ripping up the asphalt. :py1:

Have fun with the karting endeavor...it's a blast! :cool:

Attachments

·
3,389 Posts
The only cart I've ever run was a shopping cart! Doesn't handle very well, poor suspension and zero control. I've since quit running carts. Too dangerous.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Mike and English Bob regailed us with karting stories from yesteryear at the Nats. Mike actually karted at Hallett among many other places around the country. Keep this near the top and hopefully they'll chime in.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully they will read it and give me some good advise/suggestions. I've wanted to get into karting for a while now. And since the B' is sold, and I cant really afford to make the Cobra unreliable, I thought karting would be a pretty good fix for my racing/handling addictions. I love drag racing, but pulling 2+G's on a kart seems reeaaal fun.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
TOYS-R-ME! said:
The only cart I've ever run was a shopping cart! Doesn't handle very well, poor suspension and zero control. I've since quit running carts. Too dangerous.
NO FEAR EH !

Where is you sence of adventure man. Get 5 or 6 drunk blokes to give you a massive push in a
"all wheel steer" shopping cart and see how long you can stay in it.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
TOYS-R-ME! said:
Especially when one wheel wobbles. :lol:

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I raced in the 60's and 70's. There was sprint and enduro racing. I enjoyed both but they each had their own challange. Sprint racing had acceleration and was usually 8-12 laps with three heats and maybe a feature. It would vary between tracks. The enduro or road racing would usually be on a sports car track such as Road Atlanta, Riverside, Michigan International or someimes they would block off roads at parks or lakes and use them for the weekend. Enduros would vary in length from 1 to 1.5 hours or sometimes they would race 100 miles and even 500 miles on occasion. As you can imagine the enduro karts were geared tall for running on the longer course. It was hard to beat the bang for the buck. Karts didn't cost a lot and went pretty fast. Racing was fun and I enjoyed meeting my friends at the races. There wern't many shifter karts(known as formula karts then) and no 4 cycle engines. When I got out of karting I think the faster karts were running 250 water cooled Suzuki motorcycle racing engines. All but the first year of my racing I ran B stock or 200cc McCullogh class. The Internatial Karting Federation was the main organization back then but I'm sure its gone or merged with another group. I think there is a vintage karting group that races the old karts if you check the internet. I guess the first decision you would need to make is whether you want to road race or run sprint kart. Both are fun but take different karts.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a tough call for me I guess. Englishtown is opening a new road course, and I dont know what they will be doing interms of kart classes. Right now I think the class I would like to enter would be the TAG class, which has karts like EasyKarts, Leopards, ect. Mostly 125 engines, non-shifters. I dont know if they will be running them on the road course.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I looked on the internet and found that the International Karting Foundation is still around. There are also the World Karting and Vintage Karting groups. I would check out all three and see what kind of racing is in your area and go for that. The IKF did have future events listed for each division as well as contacts. I always did my own work on kart but if you don't want to do that you can pick a class that doesn't have a lot of upkeep. If you get hooked its like any racing, you will work on it all week so you can tear it up on the weekend and start all over again.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
In January 2006, I was lucky enough to attend the Jim Hall Karting School here in Oxnard....Was real fun but I would like to have my own helmet to use....Had my fastest lap on the last session and on the last lap....

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
bump..

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone else?

·
Registered
967 Posts
there is a place kinda near here. its a little drive out of town called the MB2 raceway. its like going to funland or mulligans or some little place with the pos karts but they only have karts and there thier karts go like 50MPH or somethin like that. its a good sized track. its a blast. i only went once recently and i was the second fastest in my session. i might have been the fastest if this one guy would have let me pass. he was a jerk. he was in his mid to late 40's and i was way faster but he would not let me by. he kept cutting me off and forcing me into the wall. i wasn't happy with him. i had enough at the end and spun him but it was the last lap =(. he gave me the dirtiest look when we all took our helmets off and it made my day after what he did. anyway didn't mean to rant lol. in short i think its a blast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts