Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just a hair away from ordering the Vortech supercharger for the Bullitt. Before I do thought I want to get any tips from people that have installed one, if any have yet? The instructions, found here:

HTTP://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/pdf/manuals/4fh4fl218im.pdf

all sound pretty straight forward although I'm not to hip about pounding a hole in my oil pan. Any advise or tips would be much appreciated before I plop down 3 and a half G's. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I installed my Vortech on my Saleen and am having one installed on my Bullitt right now.

The one for the Saleen was pretty straight forward, tok about 6 hours total instal time. I, like you, was apprehensive about punching the oil pan...not a big deal at all. It took a while to do, but it was not an issue.

I chose not to do it on the Bullitt for a couple of reasons. First was I have a friend who just opened a Speed shop and needed the business, so I figured he could use the money. Second, I got the blower as part of the financing so this kept me from not having a car while it was being done. Your car will be down for at least 5 days waiting for Vortech to ship your ECM and chip back.

I would not hesitate to do it yourself if you have basic mechanical skills and tools(some special tools may be required, $30 maybe). From what I understand about this install the hardest thing was the fuel pump. Apparently it's not the same as the return style pumps.

If you do decide to do it, shoot me an email and I can help you out either through email or phone.

Edit: I will not own another car that is NOT supercharged. It has been worth all of the time and labor I put into it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Barnaby on 2001-10-18 13:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. In hindsight I wish I had been smart enough to get the blower from the dealer and add it to the financing of the car also. Oh well....it's only money.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Well I finally got my car. Vortech had sent the wrong discharge tube so I was delayed a few days.

My initial impressions/comparisons. These Goodyear tires really suck. The car is far from broken in(50 miles) and it has no trouble spinning all the way through 3rd gear.

I don't have a boost gauge installed yet, but they hooked one up temporarily while on the dyno. It's making 8psi at 6000rpms with the stock pulley and an AFM Powerpipe. Which by the way is where the rev limiter is set(is this stock on the Bullitts?).

It only made 330rwhp and 320rwtq, the A/F dropped to ridiculously safe 10:1 towards redline. Once it's broken in I will get a dyno tune to bring that up a little.

For the record I did not get another SQ trim like on my Saleen. I chose a regular S trim rock crusher, the whine is louder than the exhaust while excellerating...yes! And that's WITH a Bassani X-pipe.

All in all, very pleased with my dealer(Rich Ford) and the installer(The Dyno Edge). Vortech on the other hand needs some lessons in their shipping/receiving department. Although, after finding all of the issues, both Jamie and Mike in their Tech service dept were very helpful and took care of me promptly and professionally.

For some reason this car seems considerably faster than my Saleen, the 4.10s may have something to do with that.

Needless to say I am stoked.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Tim,
I'm very glad to hear of your successful installation. I have one question for you...What tires would you suggest that would stick better than the Goodyears and still be good for decent life (every day driving)? I thought the Eagles were supposed to be pretty decent.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Dennis,
It's basically a trade off when it comes to tires from my experience. Long life and good traction are for the most part mutually exclusive.

I am having the stock rims on the rear widened to 11 inches so that I can run 315/35-17 Drag radials. I don't expect tires to last more than 10K miles anyway, so DRs are OK for me.

For a more corner friendly tire I would go with the BFG KD series or Michelin Pilot Sports. Neither of these tires are inexpensive, but what you get is above average traction in the corners.

It all goes with the racers adage; speed costs money, how fast do you want to go. While I don't have anything against Goodyear, I have not seen anything above the typical OE quality tire in quite some time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess that not everyone plans to keep their special cars forever.. It does sadden me that this one may not have a long healthy life.. :sad: Please, if you don't know it already, Break-in your car properly. No roasting before 2000 low/med duty miles.. Your car will thank you in the long run. Let the rings seat! you'll have a better dyno-run.
BTW, Barnaby.. no slam intended. Just want to let people know (you, if you didn't already) that it can be VERY hard on a new engine.
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-19 23:46, Barnaby wrote:
Well I finally got my car. Vortech had sent the wrong discharge tube so I was delayed a few days.

My initial impressions/comparisons. These Goodyear tires really suck. The car is far from broken in(50 miles) and it has no trouble spinning all the way through 3rd gear.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Appreciate the warning. I am far from new at this game, but thanks.

Unfortunately, considering the changes that Ford made to the Mustangs in 01, the rods/pistons are planned replacements before failure. As for running the car hard during break-in, I have never had any trouble running the car this way. I do, however, try to avoid tapping the rev limiter. I did have to learn the hard way that it was dropped to 6k with the new chip.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Barnaby

Do you think that the 4.10's are too much with the sc. I am going to be getting a vortech in jan. and I was wondering what would be the better gear choice. thanx for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Jury's still out on the 4.10s. I had 3.73s on my last car, so give me a couple more weeks of regular driving and I'll let you know what I would recommend between the 2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If anyone is interested I have the vortec that I took off of my 99gt that I will let go of fairly cheap. I have a 87mm maf cal. for 30lbs inj dyno chip 255lbs fuel pump and all parts of the charger minus the injectors. I know that the Bullitt kit comes with 38lbs inj. so you would have to have the maf recal. for the bigger inj. I think the dyno tuned chip should work in the car. All that vortec said I needed was the new bracket/pulley assy. and the intake tube. If anyone is interested You can e-mail me at [email protected] The charger only has 4000 miles on it. will take $2000 for all parts.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Damn everyday I contemplate,not getting one to getting one. jeez guys! I dont know though, A girlfriend of mine says she has an Audi pushing like 400+ Hp(stock, brand new), I dont know the truth behind it, but I drive a friggin mustang, and I would hate to lose to her and her sleeper if what she says is true. So with that, im highly considering a Vortech myself. That was the first SC i ever heard of besides paxton way back when but I need a kick in the pants to go ahead and do it...So someone motivate me or talk me out of it..........please!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2003-12-31 12:16, joecsbullitt wrote:
Damn everyday I contemplate,not getting one to getting one. jeez guys! I dont know though, A girlfriend of mine says she has an Audi pushing like 400+ Hp(stock, brand new), I dont know the truth behind it, but I drive a friggin mustang, and I would hate to lose to her and her sleeper if what she says is true. So with that, im highly considering a Vortech myself. That was the first SC i ever heard of besides paxton way back when but I need a kick in the pants to go ahead and do it...So someone motivate me or talk me out of it..........please!

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have a good tuner that is local then I say go for it. Otherwise, stay n/a.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
All these old threads...

Update on the car...given that this thread has all the dates on it.

The Vortech is still on the car and still running as flawlessly as when it was installed over two years ago.

My break-in procedure didn't seem to have any negative effects as of yet, the car now has almost 16K on it.

I replaced the 4.10s with 3.73s within a 1000 miles and haven't had a second thought about it.

I have had the car re-tuned and it's now making 418rwhp/393rwtq with a slight pulley change and rev limit bump. Neddless to say, it's much faster than it was when I picked it up.

If I had to do this all over again....I would do this all over again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts