Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone given any thought to lowering their Bullitt another 1" or 1.5"?
What seems to be the best option?
I hate to mess with an already upgraded suspension but the car would look better IMHO lowered more. Wouldn't want to go too stiff though 'cause she rides so nicely now.

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
LeadFoot said:
I hate to mess with an already upgraded suspension but the car would look better IMHO lowered more. Wouldn't want to go too stiff though 'cause she rides so nicely now.
Another 1" might be okay. but any further than that is going against what the suspension is designed for.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
LeadFoot said:

I can't see wasting a perfectly good suspension at this point in time IMO. I might get the FRP handling pack intstalled in the future when the miles get up there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. After some more reading it seems you are right on the money. I think I'll leave it stock height and just try to gain some more weight. Now where's that pizza hut delivery number.....:lol:

·
Registered
745 Posts
FRP Handling Pack is going on tomorrow (with a cam kit for proper alignment)--will advise as to the results...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Mustang 3 said:
FRP Handling Pack is going on tomorrow (with a cam kit for proper alignment)--will advise as to the results...

And pictures! :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Very Important!

If you lower an 08 Bullitt (and you should!) be sure to replace the non-adjustable panhard bar with an adjustable bar.

See Two Guys Garage on Speed today. It is a segment on modifying an S197 Mustang suspension.

Record it! Keep it! GOOD STUFF!

·
Registered
745 Posts
HANDLING PACK INSTALLED TODAY-More details later--but look at pics of the 68 movie car--see how the tires fills the wheel well--this is the look you get with the install of the Ford Handling Pack.

HOWEVER you will pay a price--it is stiff..much sharper turn ins and you feel every default in the road. If your wife or girlfriend is over 25 and not a total car nut she will HATE it. Did I mention you feel every bump, nook and cranny in the road--but oh how it turns in..body roll greatly reduced. The 50 series tires look really 68...properly fills the wheel well--just do not 'jump' the car as you do not have a great deal of suspension play. Do not think of doing it if this is your one and only car--used for commuting etc...

I LOVE IT...many have reported that the 08 drives so much differently then the 01--it does (I've owned an 01-only car I ever sold and hated myself later for doing so). This Handling Pack really puts the handling feel back into the car--even the fly by wire feels better--you can feel the car responding to your gas, brake and turning inputs..the 'message' comes through to your rearend and arms.

If you go this route make sure you also buy a camber kit...necessary to get a proper alignment. (new control arms, adjustable panhard bar-watts link under consideration).

I'll get pics this weekend and try to learn how to post them for you guys..It is lowered..it looks like a 60's Mustang in which the tire pretty much fills the wheel well--no 4 x 4 flood pants look. But I cannot stress this enough..the stock Bullitt suspension is a GREAT compromise between handling and looks. It handles much better then a GT but is great as a daily driver. This Handling Pack puts you on the ground and you will feel every pebble in the road--

I have a company car for work--the Bullitt is strictly a show car and Mustang club event car--corner carving on quiet backroads in the California foothills..I do not commute with it...nor take it to the store etc...every time out is for the "driving experience". For me handing is everthing and at 3400+ lbs the Mustang hurts in this department and would not be my first choice of cars ..but I've loved Stangs since 1966 riding in the back on my parents 66 Coupe. For me this Handling Pack gets the car closer to what I like in terms of cornering ability...so really know what you want before jumping on this one..yeah it looks cool but you will pay a price.

If this were my commuter car--I wouldn't have done it as the stiffness would get old fast in bumper to bumper traffic. Note that it is not just lowering--your talking springs, shocks/struts, stiff greasable bushings for the antiroll bars--yeah grease fittings on them - new thicker front and rear antisway bars. The new front sway bar can be set up on one of three settings-soft, med and firm..if your doing this there is and was only one choice--firm and oh how it is.

Later,

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I drove my 07' Shelby GT everyday and loved it!The ride is not for sissies.When you turn the steering wheel,the car is headed in that direction,NOW!The Bullitt feels kinda soft in the ride department after driving the Shelby everyday,BUT,It will fill the needs of all but the most serious driver.Warning!As it has been stated if you like a supple ride,The FRPP pack is not for you.If you love to corner like you are on rails,It is!

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks Black GT500--that looks close to the level of mine, rear seems little higher -hard to tell in pics with the black car...did they just change springs or put in the whole FR Handling Pack?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I saw that same car that Keith did. They said they added the Ford Racing pak. I don't think though that it included anti sway bars or adjustable Camber kit. They were adding less than $1000 for it.
That particular dealer is famous for that kind of thing to bump the prices.
The road in front of their showroom is covered with burnout marks. You should see some of their TV adds smoking tires on new cars.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I'm thinking of going for the Eibach Pro System Plus with either Pro springs or Sportline springs (1.5" - 3" drop respectively - ish). With that you get all the fittings: swaybars etc for about €1,800 before fitting. I was curious as to what others thought.
I was initially under the impression that the suspension on the Bullitt was the Ford Racing Package, but seeing dealer photos of the underside, there's nothing there that's painted Ford Racing Blue like on the Shelby GT - all looks black to me.
I'm used to very stiff suspension and anything even slightly bouncy will be no good. This isn't going to be my Daily Driver but it will get some miles put on it.

Plus who cares what the wife/girlfriend thinks? Whose car is it anyway...? lol

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Chances are that the suspension equipment on the 08' Bullitt will become a Ford Racing package.Just like the CAI has.

·
Registered
493 Posts
08 Shifter said:
Chances are that the suspension equipment on the 08' Bullitt will become a Ford Racing package.Just like the CAI has.
They did that with the '01 Bullitt's suspension bits. I put that kit on my '01 GT and it improved the looks, handling AND ride 1,000%. :smile:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mustang 3 said:
HANDLING PACK INSTALLED TODAY-More details later--You can feel the car responding to your gas, brake and turning inputs..the 'message' comes through to your rearend and arms.

I'll get pics this weekend and try to learn how to post them for you guys..It is lowered..it looks . . . .
here i sit broken hearted, waiting for pics, which have not yet departed. please post, i [we all are] am anxious to see.

Mustang 3 said:
If you go this route make sure you also buy a camber kit...necessary to get a proper alignment. (new control arms, adjustable panhard bar-watts link under consideration).
not so much an option or consideration on the adjustable panhard rod bar, as your differential has now been shoved towards the driver's side of the car when it was lowered. an adjustable phb lets you re-center it. some say they are already a little off center from the factory, lowering it ( a good thing) will only exaggerate this (a bad thing) (unless it were off center towards the passenger side, just the same amount that lowering it shifted it to the left(( a small chance))

new lower control arms are now a must ( and an easy one) as lowering the car has put the pinion angle off, and these will fix that, as well as eliminate wheel-hop, under hard acceleration.

Arkady001 said:
I'm thinking of going for the Eibach Pro System Plus with either Pro springs or Sportline springs (1.5" - 3" drop respectively - ish).
i think you will find the sportlines too low, especially for a daily driver.

i am tossing and turning back and forth between frpp springs, and eibach pro kits
i will be doing koni sport dampers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
LeadFoot said:

We delivered a B on thursday with the Ford RS installed. The ride was really hard, too hard for me. I'll keep mine stock. It has a much better ride. But, everyone has a diff feel for these things so do your thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
first post , lowered 08 bullitt

i have a blk Bullitt #525 with Steeda lightweight springs. Drop was about one inch. Car corners flat and nose dive is gone. Ride quality is still good. Any lower on this car I think would be too stiff, (think shelby gt 350) I dont know how to post pics on this site. Any help would be great.
dmic..

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
dmic said:
i have a blk Bullitt #525 with Steeda lightweight springs. Drop was about one inch. Car corners flat and nose dive is gone. Ride quality is still good. Any lower on this car I think would be too stiff, (think shelby gt 350) I dont know how to post pics on this site. Any help would be great.
dmic..
You have to be a supporting member to post pictures. You can host them on another site like web shots or photo bucket and post the link here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts