Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting it.(ram air) $449 is it worth it? they told me i have to take it somewhere to install it. where should i take it if i do it? I live near detroit mi. it says 11-14 hp at 50mph. so what do you think it would produce at 100? has anyone did it yet?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norman on 2001-10-31 11:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norman on 2001-10-31 11:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Ram air by Kar Kraft wont fit our Bullitt's because of the special air intake. I e-mailed them and they told me that they were working on one for the Bullitt but gave up. Does anyone know if there is a Ram air kit being produced for the Bullitt?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitmon on 2001-10-31 12:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-31 12:38, Bullitmon wrote:
The Ram air by Kar Kraft wont fit our Bullitt's because of the special air intake. I e-mailed them and they told me that they were working on one for the Bullitt but gave up. Does anyone know if there is a Ram air kit being produced for the Bullitt?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I know CDC was working on a Shaker style for the Bullitt a while ago with a planned release date of late fall or early 2002. Haven't heard anything lately.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I had a March Ram air kit on mine for a few hundred miles. Scoop fits up under the front bumper. The scoop was HUGE. Feed air and lots of trash too.

Finally pulled it off. It looked a bit too funky for me. Brought in great cold air though. It would also kill the car if you hit any high water with it so not a good street car mod.

Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
I heard that Ram Air may get more air to the engine, but the air is extremely turbulent. This robs any power gains it might have provided for the Mustang set up. I hear that the CAIs work better because they help prevent the turbulent air while also increasing the air flow. Anyone confirm this?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I have heard that also,in that the MAF unit doesn't know how to manage the ram-air flow. What I am testing now is a wild combo of the MARCH,Densecharger,and Factory air box! I use the factory airbox,with the March 5 inch adapter piece attached to the airbox. Then I connect the Densecharger 100mm,4inch,90 degree piece to that. It drops right down into the airflow area behind the fog light opening. It gets an indirect cold air flow,instead of a ram-effect. Also attached a round cage of 1/2 inch square wire screen,about 5 inch in dia. and 7-8 inch long,to keep debris out of the air intake. Seems to work well so far,and filter stays cleaner.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-10-31 19:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
959 Posts
The MAF can handle ram air flow...they blow through meters on most blower installations.

Brian

·
Registered
568 Posts
14hp my eye! There's no way they can make those kinda claims legitimately. I still say Ram Air is ineffective on our style intakes; if there's any benefit it's due to the difference in air temperature. Duct taping bags of ice to your air box would probably give you better gains.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Here is one for you all to think about. Going thru a 1970 Super/Stock magazine,I found a road test of a 1970 Boss 302.Equipped with 4.30 gears and the Shaker hood,they ran some 14.0s at around 100 MPH. On a whim,they removed the complete Shaker assembly and ran with just the carb base plate and nothing else,just the big hole in the hood. They ran 13.8s at 102 MPH with that! Seems the shaker scoop wasn't getting enough air in the carb. Same results,but greater increase,on the Boss 429.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I could believe that. One problem with the standard hood scoop, from the perspective of Ram Air, is that is sits fairly far back on the hood. At least aerodynamically. Note the latest GM ram air offerrings and you will find that the intake is well forward. For this to work you need to place the opening in a high pressure area like the very front of the car or just in front of the windshield.

I keep waiting for someone to hook up a pressure gauge and do a little science expirement to see if there is anything besides marketing behind hood scoops and ram air.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-01 15:37, Mus408 wrote:
Here is one for you all to think about. Going thru a 1970 Super/Stock magazine,I found a road test of a 1970 Boss 302.Equipped with 4.30 gears and the Shaker hood,they ran some 14.0s at around 100 MPH. On a whim,they removed the complete Shaker assembly and ran with just the carb base plate and nothing else,just the big hole in the hood. They ran 13.8s at 102 MPH with that! Seems the shaker scoop wasn't getting enough air in the carb. Same results,but greater increase,on the Boss 429.

I would've like to have seen that test done on this wild ram-air on the 1969 AMC SC/Rambler. The scoop is well above the turbulence of the hood and probably did a good job at getting the air in.

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-11-05 12:54, Vrooom#3440 wrote:
I could believe that. One problem with the standard hood scoop, from the perspective of Ram Air, is that is sits fairly far back on the hood. At least aerodynamically. Note the latest GM ram air offerrings and you will find that the intake is well forward. For this to work you need to place the opening in a high pressure area like the very front of the car or just in front of the windshield.

I keep waiting for someone to hook up a pressure gauge and do a little science expirement to see if there is anything besides marketing behind hood scoops and ram air.

Back in the 60's/70's they called that "Cowl Air". It took a special hood that was raised in the rear, or some type of ducting into the fresh air intake chamber above and behind the firewall. For the Bullitt, I think the only practical way to do it is to retro the hood with a cowl air type hood. This setup is not rain/ice/sleet/snow friendly and you would have to figure out some way to duct the air to the injectors for the Ram effect.

Just buy the densecharger and save a lot of work and headaches.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have to agree with Vroom, based on the bug factor. Seems most bugs go over or hit the top edge of the scoop. Tells me the air is flowing over the scoop.

Brian

·
Registered
292 Posts
On 2001-11-05 15:04, FordBullitt wrote:
I have to agree with Vroom, based on the bug factor. Seems most bugs go over or hit the top edge of the scoop. Tells me the air is flowing over the scoop.

Brian

We almost have science here...

On first thought I thought this proved pretty conclusively that the scoop is in the wrong place for ram air. I mean the bugs *missed* it! But then what happens to some extent with flat plate aerodynamics is that you get a pressurized blob of air in front creating a virtual nose cone. Which is why many cars are actually more aerodynamic going backwards than forwards. The wedge leaves a very square tail that creates monstrous drag compared to the relatively small front point.

So tape a bunch of short yarn pieces to the front of, and across, the hood. Take a drive and see what they are doing. Do they stay flat and straight all the way to the scoop? Or do they start jumping all over the place? Or as possibly suggested by the bugs, do they start to lift up and over the scoop?

Sounds like fun... I wonder if I can talk my kid into doing this as a science fair project?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
While testing the Densecharger on the Chassis Dyno,I had a buddy aim my small electric leaf blower,in the area of the air pickup,fog light hole. It was worth a solid 5 HP! This somewhat simulates airflow thru the frontal area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts