Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the 09 Bullitts/GTs that had SYNC from the factory, were more integrated then the add on kit ford sells. Is it part of the steering wheel like in the focus, or is there a little mouse looking activator mounted next to the insterment panel (ie Add On)

I want to add Bluetooth to my Bullitt, keeping the stock stereo, and the SYNC add on seemes to be $100 more the the Mobile ease add on. The benifits are well worth the $100. But I want it to be clean looking, the add-on is a little rough, acceptable but rough. If the 09 Bullits/GTs have a cleaner install I'll look at getting the 09 factory setup vs. the 08 upgrade. :-?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was looking at adding SYNC to my '09 (if it was available) but I just bought the new iPhone 3GS. It has voice activated calling and can control your iPod. I'm sure there will be an app to read-aloud and dictate text messages while driving via phone in the near future. Audio turn-by-turn navigation is now being offered by AT&T through the iPhone. And there's even a really cool HUD app that projects on your windshield your car's vital stats as you drive: speed, g's, etc. So I've stopped researching adding SYNC to my car.

As you are, I'm now looking for the best Bluetooth, speakerphone, factory-looking device that will mount the iPhone. Anyone have a suggestion?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I also have the iphone 3gs, and found a mount for it from kensington. It the best one I found, but it's a little tall. It plugs into the Lighter and stands upright, charges the iphone when mounted. I was thinking about taking the mount apart, shortining the length so the phone would sit right between the air vents above the stereo. The reason I need blue tooth is to stream the pandora/slacker signal to my stereo, without adding wires. Using A2DP, this is possible over blutooth, and the iphone 3.0 OS now supports A2DP.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No stock SYNC on 09 mustangs?

Scruffy said:
I believe factory Sync was not available with the either the '08 or '09 models.
Darn, I guess the SYNC add on is my best option then.
Thanks, and keep it rollin'

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NoCal Tom said:
I'm not sure where I got this pic, but I thought the little key fob thingie next to the radio was the SYNC option. Isn't SYNC for bluetooth phones? :confused:

Here is an image of the Dealer Install of the SYNC System on the 2009 BULLITT, NICE, but it's still the addon system. However it can be done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Airjeir said:
Here is an image of the Dealer Install of the SYNC System on the 2009 BULLITT, NICE, but it's still the addon system. However it can be done.

Wouldn't know what do with it.....I'm absolutely technology challanged. You should see me messin' with the Nav unit. :lol:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I don't beleive it was a factory option. My 09 has "everything" factory avaialable, but no SYNC.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I was going to get a '10 because they were going to have sync, everything I saw and read did not have Sync available built in before the '10 MY.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My wife's Ford Edge has SYNC and Bluetooth. It works great, BUT the voice recognition feature is not worth anything. It has problems understanding the voice commands and figuring out who to call. It gets it wrong 95% of the time.

We took it into service and they played with it. Then the second trip to service I asked for a new software download thinking it was corrupted somehow. They did that. Same problem. Next was a new complete radio. Same thing. Then they changed the microphone in the rear view mirror (whole new mirror). Still has problems with a 95% error rate on picking out the proper number to call.

Now we just use the bluetooth and dial with the phone. What a piece of crap from Microsoft in the voice recongition software.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
My '07 GT had a mute button where the phone button is now. I miss that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Found the following on the Ford SYNC site:

Can I get SYNC on a 2008 or 2009 Mustang?
SYNC is standard on 2010 Mustangs. In 2009 model vehicles, an after-market kit was available for installation by authorized dealerships. The 2009 after-market kit is not upgradeable and does not offer the 911 Assist® or Vehicle Health Report features.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know about Sync but the Mobile ease in my '08 is finally working. It went to the dealer 4 times, eventually they had to change the entire wiring harness and the module since there was some kind of incompatability with production dates and harness's. Blue tooth and voice recognition work fine and it is through the radio. Just a little fob showing like in Airjeir's post and a small microphone up on the overhead so it all looks pretty factory.

The Ford dealer really had a hard time fixing it and the parts, which were not from Ford, took weeks to get there.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just get a nice mount for your iPhone.... viola... no need for sync.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Another option is to use your Garmin GPS, if it has Bluetooth capability. That's what I'm doing now. Then you can use the radio for listening to phone calls too, just like SYNC. Lot's cheaper than adding SYNC.

Truely speaking, SYNC is way over rated for what it gives you. Nice gadget, but really not necessary. Remember, you're in a muscle car representing the 1968 Mustang. OMG, where's the 8-Track? That's what I need. LOL

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I like the mobile ease in my car.

Tried the new GPS app for Iphone. DON'T BUY IT!

$10 a month and doesn't work well. Does not download the maps so if your out of area you're screwed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts