Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s kind of long. Sorry, but I have to vent. I won’t identify the dealers. No, I won’t do that. No, I won’t.

10:00 AM 9/23. I took DHG2404 for the first oil change (a dealer freebie). (KIMNACH) Afterward, I drove around to the service department to arrange headlight and a twisted gearshift knob replacement. (KIMNACH) I was greeted, if you can call it that, by a no-smile service advisor who wanted to know what I wanted as she gazed at DHG2404 from afar. (KIMNACH) After giving her the details, she said I need to schedule an appointment and I would have to leave the car all day. (KIMNACH) That seemed kind of strange, but I scheduled an appointment for 9/30 at 8:00 AM. (KIMNACH) I told her the gearshift knob wasn’t in stock in the parts department. (KIMNACH) She said she would order one and it would be here by appointment time. (KIMNACH)

8:00 AM 9/30. (KIMNACH) Another no-smile service advisor (I use that term loosely hereon out) asked me what was I here for. (KIMNACH) When I suggested that I had an 8:00 AM appointment, and scheduled for this very day, she told me she didn’t have a record of my appointment. (KIMNACH) After convincing her I was not hallucinating, she went back to her desk and found the paperwork. (KIMNACH) She showed me the paperwork, and sure enough, there was the notation regarding the headlights and gearshift knob with part numbers written below each entry. (KIMNACH) Then she said here is another entry about leather upholstery, which also had a part number below it. (KIMNACH) She asked rhetorically what that was for. (KIMNACH) I asked the same question, but not rhetorically, since it was the dealer’s documentation. (KIMNACH) “I don’t know” was her response. (KIMNACH) I suggested that she should find out before any work was done on DHG2404 with that ‘part’. (KIMNACH) She asked if I was going to wait or come back. (KIMNACH) I planned to wait for work that should take more than 10-15 minutes, so I took the bait and asked her how long will it take. (KIMNACH) She points at a half-dozen unoccupied vehicles that were dropped off overnight and says, “It’ll be about 3 hours with all of these cars ahead of you, but they may get it out sooner when they see on the work order that you’re waiting.” (KIMNACH) I protested that I had an appointment. (KIMNACH) She said, “your appointment was to see me.” (KIMNACH) I said I would wait. (KIMNACH)

8:15 AM 9/30. I see DHG2404 being driven past the waiting room, presumably destined for a service bay. (KIMNACH) It’s not going to be long after all, I thought. (KIMNACH) A few minutes later I decided to stretch my legs in preparation for leaving much earlier than I thought I would have, and I strolled out by the service bays to see if I could spot DHG2404. (KIMNACH) Well, I took the bait again, because DHG2404 was parked in a side lot. (KIMNACH) No problem I thought as I continued my walk. (KIMNACH) They will get to it in a few minutes, so I went back to the waiting room. (KIMNACH)

8:50 AM 9/30. The service advizzzer came in and said, “We ordered the wrong gearshift knob. (KIMNACH) We will have to reorder the right one. (KIMNACH) Oh also, the front bumper has to be ‘dropped’ in order to install the headlights. (KIMNACH) That will take five hours, and the body shop will have to do it. (KIMNACH) You will have to call the body shop for an appointment. (KIMNACH) We are sorry for your inconvenience.” (KIMNACH) No offer to order the gearshift knob or schedule an appointment to install it. (KIMNACH)

9:30 AM 9/30. I pulled into the service department at another Ford dealer. After standing beside DHG2404 for a few minutes, the service manager asked if she could help me with a half-smile. I explained what I needed, pointed out the spots inside the headlights, and how my gearshift knob was viciously mangled when installed at the factory. She scheduled an appointment for 7:45 AM 10/3. I pointed out that DHG2404 was a Bullitt, and she dutifully notated in her computer that it was a “Bullet”. A shiver went down my spine.

7:45 AM 10/3. I pulled back into the service department at Cavalier Ford. The service advisor (I use that term loosely hereon out) punched up my appointment. I asked if DHG2404 could be ready by 11:00, although I didn’t tell him I wouldn’t need it until 1:00 PM. He said that should not be a problem and he would call me by 11:00 if there was a problem.

12:30 PM 10/3. No word from the dealer. (CAVALIER) I called and the service advizzzer said, “hold on and I will check.” (CAVALIER) 7 minutes later, the service advizzzer came back and said, “We are going to have to order those headlights. (CAVALIER) Oh, and about that twisted gearshift knob, it was manufactured that way.” (CAVALIER) I took exception to that knowing what I read in this forum and pictures I have seen elsewhere. (CAVALIER) The service advizzzer’s response was, “Well, the mechanic says it was manufactured that way, so you can talk to him when you come in.” (CAVALIER)

1:00 10/3. I notice another DHG sitting in front of the dealer when I arrive. (CAVALIER) I stroll up to it, and man, it looks almost as sweet as DHG2404. (CAVALIER) I confirm the gearshift knob is not a ‘twisty’. (CAVALIER) I walk over to the service area, and before I can say anything the service advizzzer says, “You know, we have another Cobra, I mean Bullitt, on the lot and it’s gearshift knob is straight. (CAVALIER) We are going to have to order one for you.” (CAVALIER) I bit the hook again and said I thought the headlights and the gearshift knob would have been ordered when I stopped by previously to schedule an appointment to have the work done. (CAVALIER) The service advisor told me, “the purpose of this appointment is to verify what work needs to be done so that we can order the parts needed to do the work. (CAVALIER) The appointment person can’t do that.” (CAVALIER) I reminded the service advizzzer that the service manager is the one who scheduled my appointment. (CAVALIER) “Oh,” he says, “I don’t know about that.” (CAVALIER) Then a mechanic standing next to the service advizzzer says, “Ya know we don’t keep every itty bitty little part in stock just in case we need it.” (CAVALIER) I said I guess not or else you would be a little more knowledgeable about what a gearshift knob should look like. (CAVALIER) So the mechanic walks away, and I schedule another appointment. (CAVALIER) The service advizzzer says, “I’m really sorry about that, bud.” (CAVALIER)

The good news is that there was only an additional 0.2 miles on the odometer. Seems high for just pulling it out of the service pit area, but probably not enough to give some grease monkey an opportunity to abuse DHG2404.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG2404 on 2001-10-03 20:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would estimate 85% are just like the two dealers you described. I get ill just thinking about having to go to the dealer. I also have my service advisor walk around the car with me when dropping the car off and I tell him to make a note on the ticket that there are no dents, dings, scratches or grease prints either inside or out on the car. I want it back the same way. That sends a message that I am one picky SOB so don't mess with me.

John

·
Registered
501 Posts
I must be lucky,the service mgr takes the test drive with me.Lets me explain the problem and show him.I know it will be in the shop for a week when I leave it ,but its just like I left it.Clean and full of gassss.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
DHG2404,

I hear you loud and clear. I haven’t had a Ford to a dealer in more than ten years and it sounds like things haven’t changed a bit! This is why I offered to pay shipping for parts in one of the headlight posts if they’d just exchange them and let me do the work.

BTW: I just removed the twisted shift knob on 2634 and replaced it with my new MGW knob with serial number. It’s absolutely gorgeous! The original shift knob was cross-threaded, causing the aluminum to twist and crack. What they told you was TOTAL BS.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Dude,

I have a book just like this about a Taurus (Lemon I traded for #5508). Hey...maybe we could all put a 600 page book together and forward it to the Ford Customer Service Center, yeaaahhh....then maybe they'll feel sorry for us and give us all appriciation packages like the Canadians are getting, yeeaaahh....and then maybe they'll put out a service BULLITTin training all of the service departments on the Bullet...I mean, BULLITT, special features. Wait a minute...I wonder if the Chevy or Dodge dealers could provide better service for our BULLITTs. I'll bet they know more about them than the Ford service departments! I feel your pain 2404...I feel your pain!

·
Registered
444 Posts
This is what I found o be true in 9 out 10 dealerships. They say they have certified mechanic's but I don't know what they're certified in. The worst part of it is, that ALL dealers are this way, doesn't matter of the make. Even my old man's M-B has had all sorts of problems because the service guys have no clue what they're doing. Whenever my car goes in for any service I insist on watching what they do. I cannot and will not trust them. I've had too many terrible experiences. Especially with Ford Dealerships. These morons don't car about what they do or how it's supposed to be done.

When I bought my Bullitt, the clamp for the coolant inlet was not secured and had sprayed coolant all over the floor. I put on a worm clamp, leaving the other clamp on, and went to 3 dealers. I had shown them that the original clamp was on the hose put not on the metal portion of the elbow. They thought that the factory had put on two different clamps and that I wanted one removed. I finally got someone that realized what was wrong. Everyone of the dealer thought I had an aftermarket car. One dlr said that was why I was having problems. These morons don't even know what they sell or how it goes together. If you don't know just admit it, and get someone who does.

Sorry for the long post, but this is a touchy subject with me. I've had worse experience than this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Amazing.....and they wonder why all of those customer satisfaction surveys come back with negative results.

Paul G.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I left my Bullitt at thge dealer so they could replace the defective trim over he driver's door and change out the fogged headlamps. They finally got the headlamps changed after a couple days, but had ordered the wrong trim piece. When I picked her up she was filthy from sitting outside. and, worst of all, there were cigarette ashes on my console!! No one smokes in my cars. I was p*ssed. They apologized and cleaned it up. When I got home I discovered they had also stolenabout $2 in change out of my console.

·
Registered
822 Posts
My two cents..does it burn you all when you tell those people you have a bullitt...and they go..yup I be she sure is a fast one...(they assume I am referring to a fast moving bullet) that just irks me...I get that from the friggin dealer and their mechanics....I know we do a lot more research and questing into the ins and outs of the bullitt..but for dealers and mechanics tell me that they have a nice red bullet on the lot or that the bullitt is just my slang term for my GT that I have made up p*sses me off. For Christs sake..I would hope that if for some chance I sold cars..and specifically fords I would know what my company produces and I would also hope that I would be educated enough look up and seek the information on the products that I am selling or repairing. Thanks for reading my ramblings..just had to vent there..

Semper Fi.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bullitt1853 on 2001-12-07 16:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
694 Posts
I guess I am one of the lucky ones too. The Ford dealer where I bought DHG1737 appears to be a very customer-focused team from the sales department to the back service area. They are open for service work from 7:30 in the morning until 9:00 PM on weekdays. When I pull up with the car, they open the big bay door and I drive it into a reception area where they log the car in. Then a mechanic will put plastic wrap over the seat and a floor pad in before they get in to drive it away. The only work I have had done (on the Bullitt)is a trip in to have the under hood pad changed (damaged in transit or at the factory) and the first oil change. The service staff are VERY friendly and give you the feeling of wanting to help. The mechanics are about the same. I can't say enough about the service I get.
The service I got on my new '01 Escape was equally as imppressive. If anyone wants the name of the dealership here in Edmonton, then give me an e-mail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts