Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is because my g/f scraped a curb pretty good. I decided to replace the rim and went by Tommy Vaughn Ford here in Houston (btw..an FRPP parts dealer). I asked them for the rim and they had them in stock. I bought it ($145) and went out to the Bullitt. Pulled the rim out and compared it to the other rims on the car and the color was not perfectly matched.

The "star" area of the rim was slightly darker grey on the new rim. I'm not sure what to do next?? It's not a terrible mismatch by any means, but I can tell the difference.

Could this just be a proccessing inconsistency or did I get the wrong rim (maybe the GT premium rim)???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-08-06 04:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know they make the rims in gray and silver, but i dont think they would make differ colors of gray, probally a per batch color differ, but i could be wroing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh man, I would seriously consider a new girlfriend. At the very least she owes you some serious favors. :wink:

DHG #765

If you listen closely, you can hear your Chevy rusting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IvanGrozny on 2001-08-03 19:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the part number of the rim I bought is:

M-1007-J178
2001 MUSTANG WHEEL

And Ivan, my g/f is the car owner. Pretty cool g/f, eh?? She even taped my 13.72 run with the video camera. Big smokey burnout, 4700rpm launch, and some head-snapping gear changes :wink:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
$145?
Man, that's cheep for a 17" wheel. I'd expect these to got for $300 easy.

$145... that's almost affordable for track wheels.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh it is her car, that certainly changes things. :wink: What a woman! Has she considered moving to Seattle? It is beautiful up here, mountains, forests, lakes, plenty of options for recreation, vibrant local economy, much better baseball team....

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
They're going everywhere for $999 for 4 rims and Goodyears.
The wheels are the same in every aspect. The slight color variation could be as simple as a color lot or paint mix chage between the time your rims were painted and the new one was. Simple solution? Send them all out to be powdercoated black. :smile:

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I just bought 1 wheel from a guy who works a Ford dealership who came into 2 wheels. I bought the best one for $100. Only bad spot was where the wieght was at.
Was that a good deal?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
look guys, I ain't saying some of you are full of $hit, but I drove the Bullitt up to a Ford dealership and compared my rims to several GT's with the premium wheels. Guess what? Everyone of them had "bullitt" style rims with a slightly darker inset than the rims on my car!! WTF is going on!!

Can anyone give me a DEFINITIVE part number on OUR RIMS!! The rim I bought is part number M-1007-J178!!

What is the OEM part number for the Bullitt specific rims????????

Please, somebody respond with the Bullitt soecific part number. If it's the same as the one I bought, then I know for some freaky reason my Bullitt's rims are lighter than they should be.

·
Registered
280 Posts
JB VOBRA

The part number for your wheel is on the backside of it. Just take one off your car to verify the part number.

The Premium GT and Bullitt supposedly use the same Anthrycite finish. My guess, like most others, is that the paint lot has slight variations from batch to batch.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
This is the problem with a "colored" rim. You're bound to get wariations. Chrome is Chrome, Silver is silver, Clearcoated aluminum is clearcoated aluminum. But colors can vary ever so slightly. Some maybe not at all.. sometimes visible to the naked eye. Also the cars's color can alter the hue of the wheel you're looking at.
The only way to check for certain is to pull both wheels off their cars and lay them side by side.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree with JB Vobra. I used to own a 2001 Gt Premium and when I washed looked at my Bullitts rims they looked lighter. At first I thought it was my and I had a few friends look at it and the Premium wheels and the is a difference. It's not that noticeable until you really look at the two wheels side by side. Hereing this from others only further adds to the probablity that there are two different wheels.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, got off my a$$ and pulled a rim off the bullitt. First off, there are several numbers inside the rim that don't match. Maybe there just batch numbers and have nothing to do with the part. But there are two numbers that match exactly on consecutive spokes. It is IR33-1007 AA on one and IR33-1007 AB on the next spoke. I'm guessing this is the same rim and for some reason manufacturing processes produced inconsistent results. Who knows? Maybe Ford did this on purpose for the Bullitt, but will not offer the part aftermarket.

I'm sick of fuggin with it. I'm gonna go with the rim I bought. I'll just pass it off as a fine layer of brake dust :grin: It really takes a keen eye to spot it.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
if Mr.T says they are exactly the same......they are exactly the same.....PERIOD!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts