Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys-

Wondering what the general consensus is on tribute cars here.

I've got an alloy '07 V6 that I modded up as a "Budget Bullitt". I looked to McQueen's ride, the '08 Bullitt, and in particular the Japanese Blue Flame Bullitt as models for the look. Aside from it being well outside my budget, I feel it would be deceitful and disrespectful to '08 Bullitt owners to go Highland Green or badge the car with the Bullitt logo anywhere, so I have no intentions of doing either.

My goal was to emulate the look enough that Mustang enthusiasts would recognize what I was doing without thinking I was trying to fool anyone into thinking she's something she's not.

If you guys feel it's bad form for Tribute cars to be here, just say so and I'll move on.

I call her "Trigger". Here're some pics

Here she is after I installed her louvers. Pics aren't of great quality, they were taken with my phone. She's also not as clean as she should be.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I might be wrong here but I am of the belief that IMBOC is for car people that love the Bullitt. Obviously you do since you are taking the time to make your car Bullitt like! I say Welcome! I bet you will find almost everyone else here will do the same.

And by the way Trigger looks pretty nice!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think "Trigger" looks great, good job! I particularly like the grill, it would look great on 0457, got details?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I welcome home built tributes, and Trigger looks like a fine example to me.

I like the wheels in particular, what are they?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
welcome to the site the car looks great. and a great name also.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Digicos.....

Welcome!!! Let me say this about that......

Yes, Karen and I do have a Bullitt, but I also have an 05GT. And I will tell you that an awful lot of the posts that I do regarding mods, blowers, etc. have to do more with my 05 than the Bullitt....

You will find that the crowd here is way different than what you are used to experiencing (Mustang Forums)....I have seen you over there as well....The group here is present for one purpose....THE APPRECIATION OF MUSTANGS, AND CARS IN GENERAL!!! I have been on Mustang Forums for almost 5 years. The group here is non judgemental, appreciative, ladies and gentlemen, and conduct themselves in an adult manor....usually.....:lol: :lol:

So, sit back, relax, grab a kool aid, and join the insanity that is IMBOC.....

Keep chatting, and keep modding...Your car looks great...

Regards,
Mike and Karen

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree with everybody. V6, V8, 1968-2008 it doesnt matter. I think your car looks awesome. I would be stoked to see it at a show.

Only thing you have to watch out for is DHG bullitt owners and their snobby ways! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

j/k

No really watch out. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Easystreet said:
I agree with everybody. V6, V8, 1968-2008 it doesnt matter. I think your car looks awesome. I would be stoked to see it at a show.

Only thing you have to watch out for is DHG bullitt owners and their snobby ways! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

j/k

No really watch out. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2009's ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!!!!!!

;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wait

I just saw the louver pictures. Ok GTFO (get the f'bomb out) your car looks really really good. I am not sure I can handle losing a beauty contest to a v6. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I send you a pair of louvers care to Dremel them like you did yours? :p

screaming_pc said:
2009's ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!!!!!!

I know man thats why I said 1968-2008. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
@ Digitalcos
Hmmmm, how can I say this where a person won't think that I'm being insincere.
I liked your tribute "Bullitt" (and really, isn't that what 01's and 08/09's are?) for a number of reasons:
1. I liked the wheels, looks even more retro than mine.
2. I thought the grill was cool.
3. If you have ever read the "Top Gear" review it talks about how they wished that the Bullitt didn't have "Bullitt" plastered everywhere and I agree. You said that yours doesn't have the Bullitt logos and to me that makes it just that much cooler.

You have a great looking car and I wish I could see it in person. I hope you took my comment above in the way that it was intended, if not you have my sincere apology.

Once again, Great job!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Great looking car. I really like that grill. If you have a link for the grill please post up. Welcome aboard. Some pretty cool guys around IMBOC.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Very nice job 100% agree with all the above welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.Great job with that dremel mods like that are surely welcome here.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting that much of a positive response. I caught a lot of flak from a Bullitt owner on another forum at the mere mention of my plan to mod my V6 as a "Budget Bullitt".

I'll give you guys a quick lowdown on Trigger's mods.

Wheels: 17" oem bright silver Bullitt wheel and tire set purchased from newtakeoff.com. I painted the spokes with Duplicolor wheel paint. Didn't clear coat them because I wanted flat black like McQueens' old school Torque Thrusts. Seems like all the other aftermarket black Bullitts are gloss. Buying the take offs meant big savings and the TPMS sensors were already in them.

Grille: $40 aluminum mesh overlay from sleekautoaccessories.com. It was just plain bare aluminum mesh that they cut with a template to fit inside the grille. I cut out the center of my stock grille so it would lay flat without the raised pony area interfering. Painted the mesh gloss black and sandwiched black fiberglass window screen material between the overlay and the grille to hide the pony-hole. I mounted it with black plastic zip ties. Finished it with protective chrome door trim around the outer edge. Now, I know when I describe it like this, it sounds pretty ghetto, but I love the way it looks.

Louvers: I loved the louvers on the Blue Flame Bullitt. I thought that they were a great callback to McQueen's '68. Couldn't track down what they were, so I found these. They're 10476 Astra Hammond quarter window louvers. Most of the other louvers I saw had wider slats like the '65-'66. These reminded me more of the '67-'68 vents. Used a Dremel and an X-acto to open the slats so I wouldn't be sacrificing much visibility. Painted them with Rattle can that I ordered online with my paint code.

Ya know, when I first bought this car I had no intention at all of modding. I don't know a whole lot about cars, and I've never done anything like this before. Well, lemme tell ya, when I found myself with a jigsaw in my hand, cutting up my grille, I knew I crossed a threshold.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

Oh, and MikeandKaren: I thought I recognized the Got Oatz name. I actually downloaded the pics of your car when I was researching my mods. Hope you don't mind.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts