Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Aren't you supposed to shoot a horse with a broken leg?

2K views 41 replies 35 participants last post by  GreggVH 
#1 ·
Well it appears that Webmaster Bullitt can officially make the Bullitt Boneyard. Unfortunately it appears as though mine will be the first one buried. Black Bullitt #929 was involved in a large accident yesterday at 3:30 pm in Decatur IL. I was following one of my friends and had a passenger, a guy I had just met. I was on 51 South turning left when we realized that the road we wanted to turn onto was shut down to to resurfacing. So we had to make a U Turn to go back to a previous street. The guy I was following made it fine. I waited for 1 car to clear and then had about 50-75 yards between me and an oncoming GMC Yukon. plenty of time to clear, especially since he was in the near lane and I wanted to be in the far. Well, I made the turn with the traction control off, my front tires stayed on the pavement and the rear tires hit the gravel. The back end kicks out and my car ends up sitting sideways in the Northbound lane. To make a long story short from this point I looked over my shoulder and had no time to recover. The guy never slowed down and plows into my front drivers side fender at roughly 50 mph. I spun around fast enough to hit the back end of my car on the back end of his before he cleared me and the truck rolled over on its side. I walked away from it and he escaped with a laceration on his left arm from scraping on the shattered drivers front window of the Yukon. Now my car sits at a repair shop 300 miles away with roughly $9000 in damage. And I was just gonna buy a beater next week to drive around instead of the Bullitt. Now I don't know if it is worth it to fix it. I will surely stay on these boards as I love the car and I was one of the first 100 people here. But I fear my input from this point on might be from a spectators perspective.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #9 ·
Well due to my driving record from when I was 16-18 I kept only minimal insurance. I basically have liability and uninsured motorist coverage and a little more basic. Nothing, however, that will take care of my car. I was going to change that as soon as I got married I was going to throw full coverage on it and register it as a recreational/occasional vehicle and then buy a beater to drive around. Now I am looking at a couple options. 1. sell the car as is and walk away after court is all settled then pick up a beater and wait for the 200? Mach 1 to come out. 2. Sell the car as stated before and buy a beater and an old Mach 1 as a resto project. I just can't talk myself into getting gouged by a dealer at this point. Word of mouth advertising is in full effect finally on the Bullitt. Production is winding up and dealers are taking LARGE advantage of a car in demand and low quantity. If I am to pay 30 K for a Bullitt when I originally bought one for 26,380 I would just toss the extra 2 K at it and buy a cobra. Not that I don't LOVE the Bullitt and wouldn't want another one it's just that the Bullitt isn't the bang-for-the-buck deal at 30 it was at 26. That Mach 1 seems a VERY appealing alternative and I will still keep up on all things Bullitt as much as possible. Anybody got any word on that Mach 1? I will try to get down there to take pix with my digital camera, or at least get a friend to take film pix I can scan. But I warn all of you the car is barely a shadow of its former glory and it might put several in shock. I have a sense of humor about it so far. $h!t happens when you party naked. I am just extremely happy I walked away without a mark. If he would have hit the drivers side door I would surely be, at the very least, hospitalized. I estimate he hit me doing about 50. Now I just have to find a reasonable replacement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lok N Lod on 2001-08-24 17:28 ]</font>

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Stangman, I am 24 years old, and quite capable of taking care of myself. I have a wife, a child and I pay all my bills. I OWN my own home, I own all the cars in my possesion and consider myself well into adulthood as far as what I have experienced. As far as my parents go they are both deceased within the last 1 1/2 year. Excuse me for taking a little offense to what you said but then again you weren't in the car. I don't hear you criticizing the old man that hit me. If I had been hot rodding it would be a different story. This is a situation of hitting loose gravel with the traction control off. This is also my first accident in a LOONG time. As far as horsepower rating I have had a 97 GT and a 2000 Camaro SS with absolutely NO incident. Both of those manual trans. So before you criticize me for how I live make sure you know what you are talking about. Talk about kicking a man when he is down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lok N Lod on 2001-08-25 21:54 ]</font>

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Apology accepted stangman. Sorry for the rant but I couldn't believe a fellow bullithead was taking shots at me when I was down. Everyone is friends here and I want to keep it that way. All is forgotten.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Actually the yukon faired better than the Bullitt did. After they flipped him up on 4 wheels again they started the thing to move it around and line up to be towed. My car would not start....even after checking the fuel pump cutoff. Had he not gone on his side there would have been roughly 2 to maybe 3 grand damage to his front passenger side. I hate these damn tanks that they dare call "sport utility". The way this thing took the hit you would think it was a panzer in yukons clothing. Oh well, I'm sure he will try to get his in court. We'll see. As far as me being around I will certainly be here and offer as much advice as I can. I will definately keep up on all things bullitt the only unfortunate part is now I am not speaking as an active member. I have decided that the car is not worth trying to salvage. I don't know what I will do with it at this point but now it is between getting a new Mach 1 or a 72. Just have to see how things shake out in the end. Either way I have another Mustang in my future.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
You know I had thought of trying to salvage every available part of that car and piecing it together into sort of my own street rod. I guess it all depends on what I want to do. I think piecing together an FR500 out of what's leftover would be cool. Or at least a Mustang street rod infusion type thing. Maybe one of those GT40 rolling chasis kits. hmmmm....the options are limitless. I have a perfect engine, trans, 13" brake kit and many body pieces as well as the seats, the gauges and others. I promise I won't make a mock up from my original though. LOL I will definately keep all informed of my efforts on this idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lok N Lod on 2001-08-26 02:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lok N Lod on 2001-08-26 02:01 ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.