Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the response along with my original email to Mr. Hyde all I can say is that he must be receiving quite a few emails from Bullitt owners.
We are not ignoring customers. If we were ignoring customers, the Bullitt would not exist and we wouldn't have sent you a survey in the first place. Relax, we are committed and while we do make mistakes we also do our best to reach satisfactory conclusions. I have stopped commenting in the web forums because I believe life is too short to have to put up with abuse and "virtual rumbles" where issues are overblown and judgements are too easily rendered.

Concerning the label, the fix is the correct way to go from many angles. We applogize the ink did not receive adequate testing before production. A major issue for us is to prevent fraudulent Bullitts by sending out "new" number labels which could conceivably be diverted. The clear sticker covering the ink is the best way for Bullitt owners to protect their investment. That said, we understand there are customers who have obliterated their number. We are working out a procedure where they will be able to get a single new sticker through a dealer after providing proof of ownership -- the logistics are proving difficult so I don't know the timing, but we are putting priority on this.

Concerning the other quality issues, you are right you should expect better, particularly the paint spots and loose bolts. I will feed these back to Dearborn Assembly so we can ensure this doesn't happen again. Can you please describe the seat play in more detail -- we do design in some ability for the seat back to move so it doesn't squeak while you are driving. Also, a better decription of the transmission "clunk" would be appreciated -- what driving modes.

Art Hyde
Mustang Chief Program Engineer
Ford North American Car

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 9:55 PM
To: Hyde, Arthur (A.S.)
Subject: Sticker

Dear Mr. Hyde I read your email about the sticker fix that Ford intends to do and I must say that is totally inadequate particularly for the Bullitt owners who have lost there numbers by simply wiping across the decal. I cant believe Ford put such a sticker on this vehicle. without at least testing its durability. Don't get me wrong I do like my Bullitt but I can tell you from seeing the notes posted on our web site that there are a lot of unhappy owners in regards to the sticker and fix. I to can attest that from posts that numerous owners are somewhat disillusioned about the quality that is now going into Ford vehicles. This is my first new Ford I have ever purchased and though the performance is nice the quality has dismayed me. I always felt that quality was job one but not in this case. I have had it in for 2 spot paints, leaking windows, splash guards missing clips, now the headlights are loaded with water spot on the inside of the lens and my driver seat has about 5 inches of play when you grasp the upright and move it forwards and backwards. I also found both of my transmission crossmember bolts loose when I was investigating a noise which turned out to be caused by the loose bolts / I also now have a squeak in the front end which I cant track down. This is with 1600 miles on the car. I also asked Ford to send me another survey since I misplaced the first one and that was about a month ago and still no survey even though I was told it was in the mail. I don't know who manages Fords quality control program but I can honestly say more attention needs to be made in that area. I know I have labored the point somewhat but I know Ford can do better. I can honestly say I have never had a foreign car but I am starting to lean in that direction. I still don't know the issue with the new transmission and all the cluncking going on but its in a lot of Bullitts out here including mine. Mr. Hyde I thank you for you time. This email in no way is a reflection on your part. Its just a wakeup call to Ford from one concerned customer about the direction that Ford is heading . If Ford is trying cost cutting measures at the expense of Quality then that is dead wrong and in the end it is Ford that will pay the price in customer loyalty. There's and old saying ! You can only kick a dog so many times then he's going to bite! Ford can only neglect its customers so many times then they will leave because there are other choices. Again thank you for you time!

Lynwood Lee Collins
United States Navy ( Retired)
Bullitt Owner #1676
PS: Could some of you Bullitt owners with the clunking in the driveline also write Mr. Hyde and try to explain to him what it is doing. Maybe he will see it is more than just my Bullitt with the problem though mine might be a less of a problem than others I have read about. Thanx Havgun #1676

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Havgunwiltrav on 2001-08-21 10:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Here's the response I received this morning from Mr. Hyde. I have a little trouble believing there are security issues with this...seems to me if someone really wanted to duplicate the sticker, they could.

-------------------------------------------

Thanks for your opinion. We do have a fix that should be out to all Bullitt owners in the
next 3 months -- a clear plastic cover. We appologize that the ink was not tested
adequately before production.

We had considered a metal plate, but there are security issues with this approach.
The holographic film label is better for revealing tampering.

One thing that precludes us from sending out metal or even duplicate number labels now is
how we can control frauduent claims where the real intent is to create bogus Bullitts. We
have evidence that this is already happenning. Avoiding feeding this industry is our top
priority since it devalues the "real" Bullitts.

Art Hyde
Mustang Chief Program Engineer
Ford North American Car

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can definitely see the point. A hologram is much too difficult for the average person to duplicate. But a metal stamping is much easier. Also, the stamping would be easier to steal and place on a different vehicle. Or, if someone were to wreck their car, and wanted to transfer it to a phony, the sticker would make that much more difficult given that removing it would most likely destroy it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitbill on 2001-08-21 12:22 ]</font>

1,169 Posts
This is very upsetting to me....

Mr Hyde said: A better decription of the transmission "clunk" would be appreciated--what driving modes.

I think Mr Hyde is starting to play GAMES!! The "clunk" is not new news to Team Mustang!

If all we are getting is a piece of protective plastic for the sticker....I don't think the trans problem will be fixed!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got an email from Will Slater today after the email I sent to Mr Hyde was read. Mr Hyde said he was sending the info I told him about the problems with my car to Dearborn Mi. Anyway I am to send them my VIN number and the people at the DAP ( Dearborn Assembly Plant) is to look into the problems I guess. I will keep you guys posted!!!1

Thanx Havgun #1676

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I am a little confused here. From what I have heard,there is nothing in the Bullitt VIN,to connect it to the Bullitt ID sticker,on the shock tower. So,if this is so,how would you prove your Bullitt is,say,0020 or any other number? Did Ford record which VINs went with what Bullitt ID stickers? I compared my VIN,against a 01 GT,and all the info. was the same,except of course the serial number. So how do you verify? They,Ford should have added the Bullitt ID numbers onto the VIN tag....That would have solved all problems,and cost very little more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts