Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get an idea of the symptons of the ticking/exhaust noise others have heard. This past Saturday, had a noise that sounded like an exhaust/vacuum leak, but then on Sunday it was gone.

For those of you who have had the same condition, did it come and go or was it constant once it started?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Is it while you have your A/C on?? It could be the A/C unit. The A/C unit in the Bullitt is loud, and the AC clutch unit makes a click every so often when on...I noticed the fan defroster selection does as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No, the ticking occurs on #196 with everything (temp. controls) turned off.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A/C was definitely off. It was the coldest day of the year, so far, on Saturday. Very strange condition. Sounded like an exhaust leak and even though it was a cool day, the power seemed to be down. Have driven it both days since and has not re-appeared.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine's only a week old and it's got the cold tick. At first it was scary, sounding just like the valvetrain.

It only happens around 2900-3200 rpms and only when it's cold. I'm convinced it has to be an exhaust tick. An oiling problem would go away sooner. This lasts for like 5 minutes. As soon as I hear they've got a fix, I'll go in.

It is embarrassing, makes me short shift.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
It is embarrassing, makes me short shift.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I know the feeling.....after reflash still did it....went to premium and a chip....no more problem...

Jim

·
Registered
586 Posts
Cupfan, mine is exactly as you describe yours. I figure in about 20,000 miles, we'll all learn what the real problem is.

Unfortunately, I won't hit that for about 5 years at the rate I'm going. I have to move further from my office. These 4 mile commutes are killing me!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ford has a problem, and they should step up to the plate and CORRECT IT! This is RIDICULOUS! There are TOO MANY of us with the same exact problem. I still can not believe nobody has taken their car back to correct the problem. :sad:

If so, please post your findings.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am trying to get a Ford engineer out to the dealer i deal with to look at my car and this ticking noise. They play games with me at every turn. The dealer says he cant call them directly and the Ford CRC says the same thing. Im off Wed-Fri this week and i am driving up to my dealer and rattling some cages. I can be a real jackass when im mad and if i get any run arounds in person i am going to crack skulls. Come hell or high water they will fix the Model T syndrome or buy it back so i can go get a quality car.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I do not have the ticking noise, (YET) but I did look in the manual and found this...

Engine Noise (under hood)

NOTE:
Attempt to identify source of noise. If noise is from source other than those listed below, refer to Symptom Index (for noise such as spark knock) or applicable Workshop Manual section.

Snap noise that may be due to secondary ignition arcing:
Check condition of spark plug boots.

Might want to check while the engine is running at night.
I know its not much but that is the only thing in the manual.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ford seems to think that it is the fuel rails in this car. I think they are the same as in the Cobra. I guess the fuel injectors are loud and with it being aluminum, you can hear them easier. I do not have the problem (yet) with 1200 miles.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just took #3577 in for its first oil change yesterday and had them check the ticking noise. Service guy looked for any TSB's on the ticking noise but came up empty. They had 2 engine guys listen to it and said it was normal injector noise. Now I get to go back for a new headlight and to get my hood aligned properly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
All I can say is when i get on it hard in third or 4th I hear a sound that sounds like an exhaust leak its not loud barely audible but there! It wasnt doing it for a long time and just started at about maybe 5000 miles! Would have the dealer look at it but they would probably say its normal like every other noise in our engines are! :smile: As far as that my engine has really performed well on just plain old 87 octane! Except 2 other noises i have had one sounds like a deisel at times and second sounds like a jet engine whining down when i shut her off sometimes! Maybe someone out there can help me out with those last 2 issues! Thanx Havgun! #1676

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think the whining down noise is the air conditioner compressor. You may not hear the whining noise everytime you turn the car off when the AC is on because the compressor cycles on/off according to the evaporator temperature. Try turning off the AC before you turn off the motor to check.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bump

1 - 20 of 26 Posts