Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes, I started AutoX last year, still learning a lot. My garage spells out my mods, but I have only done one event since the Panhard Bar and bushing upgrades. What a difference! I also do lapping and solosprint on our local road race track. The panhard bar made a huge difference. The only downside is a somewhat harsher ride, but not too bad and she's not a daily driver anyway.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ran AutoX with a '85 GT back in the early 90's. Now days I participate in Open Track days with the B at Portland Int, Pacific Raceway (Seattle) and Thunderhill in California. It's a wonderful expierance, wish I could do it more often- check out my garage for suspension setup

=-=-=-=-=-

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been cone dodging since 1998 with a '93 GT in E-Street Prepared that I traded in for my '01 Bullitt. Been racing her ever since in F-Stock. Bone stock other than the Kumho V700 tires. I've been pondering moving up to ESP or SM.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got home from the auto-x and saw your reply.I am running in ESP with my 08.There is another guy from an SCCA region down the road that has another Bullitt with mods in FS.He has Koni's,bigger front bar and I believe Hoosiers on different wheels.Very fast in the hands of a good driver.I went to ESP because of the stress bar even though it could go in FS.2 weeks ago at an event the FS Bullitt ran 35 sec. I ran 40.5 and a Trans Am with suspension work and Kumho slicks in ESP ran 37.5.Thought I was holding my own for being on all season tires at my first event in this car.Couldn't you run in STX also?Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can run in STX if I run my stock tires. But I rather the competion in FS. Either I'm going to stay in FS and replace all the struts/shocks with Koni's, get a Borla cat-back exhaust, and Hoosier Tires; or go the other direction and call Maximum Motorsports for a ESP legal package.

I was thinking about selling the Bullitt and going over to the "darkside" and getting a BMW 335xi. But after thinking about having car payments, higher insurance, buying something other than a Mustang, I came to my senses and decided to keep the Bullitt.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just came back from my first slalom this year with the Panhard Bar, poly bushings and RT615 tires. The car felt awesome, great turn in. Now if I could only tighten that nut behind the steering wheel......:lol: By the way I am in ESS with our rules.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have autocrossed a few times. Very fun. I am barely over the limits for stock so I will probably mod down to race there since I don't have the $$$ for ESP or SM. My next car will be a dedicated autox car and the B will hit the garage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Auto-xing isn't that expensive unless you strive to go to the nationals. I'm more of a regional/state competitive guy. I can run with the pack, sometimes lead, but I'm never in the rear with the gear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm autoxing my '08 too. I planned to stay in FS but got such a great deal on wider wheels with R-comps that I got pushed to ESP. I do plan to move it back to stock when the tires give out.

Here is my plan for FS mods:
- R-comps in a size near 275/35/18.
- Front camber crash bolt mod.
- Evolution AutoX school.

Based on how the car handles after those mods, these may be next:
- Tokico adjustable shocks/struts.
- Adjustable front anti-sway bar.

(Photos in the Garage)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may do many of the same mods in the future.Right now I am recovering from a 25k backyard makeover so I will feel lucky that I got the car period.Love that wife of mine.In the meantime,I will get plenty of seat time stock.Just came from a Focus that I raced so can use some more rear drive practice.FUN so far!

·
Registered
61 Posts
bullitt5199 said:
... Just came from a Focus that I raced so can use some more rear drive practice.FUN so far!
I agree!! I was driving a Mazda6 last year. Now I have more power and in the right place. The first event I was at with the Bullitt I did terrible but giggled the whole time (I'm 43 by the way :surprised).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yah-yah, more power,that's the ticket! Had a great time the first time out too.Giggled like a school girl!I'm 41 and feeling young again.All because of a car.Doesn't get any better than that!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Kirk said:
I'm autoxing my '08 too. I planned to stay in FS but got such a great deal on wider wheels with R-comps that I got pushed to ESP. I do plan to move it back to stock when the tires give out.

Here is my plan for FS mods:
- R-comps in a size near 275/35/18.
- Front camber crash bolt mod.
- Evolution AutoX school.

Based on how the car handles after those mods, these may be next:
- Tokico adjustable shocks/struts.
- Adjustable front anti-sway bar.

(Photos in the Garage)
The 08 should be good for F stock for sure. Sam Strano is the current f stock national champ, I had the chance to talk to him the other day when I called his shop asking for suspension advice. He said that he felt FS could be won with a 05+ GT, imagine the difference with the Shelby or the Bullitt. Those should be top FS cars right now. Evo school will be fun but $$$.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, I've read about Sam and the Shelby he's using. From results I've seen he is very fast indeed.

I've been thinking about calling him too. The question I have on my mind is how much better are the Bullitt's shocks/struts over the GT's? Is it worth the money and effort to get the Tokicos?

It would be great to see a Bullitt up on top of the standings sometime soon. Once the Camaro comes out it may be a different story in FS.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey guys... I was poking around, being new to the site and was pleased to have stumbled across not just a post, but an actual conversation about autocrossing.

The S197 Bullitt is a good FS car, in between a GT and the SGT. One the right course, the Bullitt is competitive Nationally (read that as very transitional and it helps when there are short, but tight corners where the 3.73's help the car jump vs. the 3.55's in the other cars).

In fact at Nationals this year a Bullitt was in 2nd after day 1 (I was 3rd). The course was perfect for that car, all slaloms. Day 2 was much more sweepers and the SGT excels there and the Bullitt dropped down a number of spots but still took home a trophy.

I don't believe the Camaro will unseat the S197 at least in SGT guise. It might, but it's going to be heavy and we're not sure about what kind of alignment one can get, and how good the limited slip will be.

Shocks help you tune the car to your liking (even on the street, not just for racing). I prefer Koni's over D-specs, but d-specs work decently. I would highly recommend you all stay away from bigger front bars (adjustable or not) on an FS setup S197 Bullitt or GT.

For what it's worth, I also daily drive, and have setup for FS an '07 GT. Basically it is a Bullitt w/o the intake, tune, gears or STB. The springs, bars and all that are actually the same (despite claims). I've setup both cars, and helped a few folks with their Bullitts, both the current ones and the '01's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think it will be interesting to see how the Camaro and 2010 Mustang do too.

I agree, the Camaro has some heft to move around so I don't think it will beat the SGTs either. I had a chance to drive an STX Suburu WRX and it was amazingly light (less than 3K lbs). It was like a dart in the slaloms. I got back into my Bullitt and boy did it feel heavy! It's interesting to me that you mention the GTs and Bullitts excelling at those types of maneuvers. I had a hard time with them (I'm a rookie though). And then adding another few 100 lbs to that and I think the Camaro will have an even harder time.

The 2010 mustang appears to be a Bullitt in new cloths. Ford says they did some more work on the suspension beyond the Bullitt's struts/shocks, but who's to know for sure until the are on the streets.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If your car is not setup, you'd be amazed at what some good shocks and tire (and alignment) will do.

Now, I know this is the Bullitt forum, but the Bullitt just by way of suspension isn't the right car to have most of the time vs. an SGT. But as we've seen on some courses it can be right there, and it's not exactly terrible on average. In fact I've run my GT against the Shelby on courses that were better for the Shelby (more sweepers), and run on average about .4-.7 slower than the Shelby. And the Bullitt with better gearing when compared to my 3.55's a little more punch than my stock powertrain GT is sort of in between.

An STX car is a very different beast. He'd have springs, bars, shocks and a lot of things you probably don't have, including most likely better tires. The mass of a Mustang is greatly helped by better dampers that slow the roll and pitch rates, and in turn help the car respond more quickly. A set of Koni's will actually make the car feel like it's lighter because it becomes more nimble.

The new Camaro is TBD. The new Mustang it TBD. What makes the S197 the car to have in FS is the springs and bars on the Shelby. If a 2010 car doesn't have a similar option, it won't really be any better than a current Bullitt or GT (and could be worse depending on what they do do on springs/bars). I don't see a 2010 GT really being a lot better than a current Bullitt unless they really do somethings different, and I don't see that happening from what I've seen so far and that Ford, like the others is hurting. A GT/Bullitt is great match for the 4th gen F-body that used to dominate FS. In fact what led be down the S197 path was a customer's '05 that I ran and dominated a National Tour with. At that time (2006) I felt the S197 GT was a slightly better car on the whole for autox than the f-body.... We were looking to buy one at the end of '06 and heard about the SGT. We waited to see about classing and when it ended up in FS we jumped. Had it not, we were still going for a GT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
sam strano said:
If your car is not setup, you'd be amazed at what some good shocks and tire (and alignment) will do.
It's encouraging to know that these cars can get feeling better. I do have some upgrades to mine though (tokico d-specs with the legal camber/crash bolts with Nitto RT01 tires.) so I'm thinking it is me more than the car. I plan to go to an Evolution school in the spring to help with that.

I'm sure I will be giving you a call sometime this off season to see about other upgrades and stuff. Right now my bane is the front struts and their constant need to change the setting I put them at.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Reviving an old thread...

I have now installed an MM TQ Arm to go with the Panhard Bar along with HD Bilsteins and H&R Super Race front and TA specific rate rear springs and MM C/C plates. I am also running BFG R1's and have upgraded many of the bushings (including offset A-Arm bushings) and have a K-member brace and welded in MM Subframe connectors. The car is definately more competitive this year than last, but there is always potential for more.....

A few questions...

1. What are the best alignment settings for Autocross/Solosprint?
2. What else would further improve the handling of the car? Adjustable rear swaybar? MM K-frame? X2 Ball Joints? Bumpsteer kit?
3. Haven't had enough events to get the tire pressures right yet....what do others run for autocross/solosprint with R1's or other R-comp tires?

Thanks

Alan
Bullitt 02655

1 - 20 of 27 Posts