Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready for an oil change at 1000 miles on my black Bullitt and found out that in the Athens Ga area there is hardly any. The local Ford dealer wanted $2.50 /qt
for motorcraft. I prefer Castrol and local oil service outfits have stated that Castrol does not make it. NOT TRUE!. NAPA AUTO parts has has CASTROL 5w20 for 1.55 /qt. PEPBOYS has Penzoil in 5W20 also. So all you folkes might want to "round some up" now since it's
a new weight of oil. HAVOLINE also makes this weight.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
DrBullitt, i think a LOT of us have decided that 5W-20 is just too damn light an oil for our tastes( and the way we run our vehicles)
Ford recommended 5W-30 for my 97 and 99 GT's and i'm sticking with 5W-30. i run my cars hard and fast sometimes and i just have zero confidence in an oil as light as 5W-20. some guys are going even heavier than 5W-30 butthat's as heavy as i'm going to go

also i really like the Valvoline FULL synthetic in my car!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I am a big fan of Valvoline oil and the synthetic in particular. This is based on years of experience in all sizes of engines, racing engines, turbocharged etc. I, down here in the Texas heat, will be running 20W50 Valvoline synthetic for sure. I will use std 20W50 Valvoline until I get enough miles on it to make the switch.

Brian

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mr FordBullitt,

What do you think of Redline 20w-50??

·
Registered
959 Posts
Bob:

I have used Redline motor oil but only briefly. It's a bit pricey. Also, it's based on synthetic aircraft turbine oil formula. My 400hp Talon didn't like it. Seemed to use more of it and it seemed to thin out a bit more.

Their ShockProof oils for the drivetrain are great performing products and I plan on converting my trannie and rear end to ShockProof once thigs get broken in.

Brian

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I too feel the 5W20 oil is too thin BUT the local Ford and Mercury dealership both stated that using any thing other than 5W20 will void the warranty. So caution to the wise, their could be a warranty issue for you if you use anything other than what is specified. This past weekend changed oil and filter at 950 miles. Used castrol 5W20.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Okay, you guys seem to need a quick lesson in oil weights. (BTW, I was a chemical engineering major and have friends in the petro industry...not to mention I'm a certified car-nut :grin: ) The first number, 5 in this case, is the weight of the oil. That's it. So 5W20, 5W30, and 5W40 all have the same weight; one is no thinner than the other. The second number is the coldest temperature, measured in degrees F, that the oil will flow with a weight of 5. So 5W20 will flow with a weight of 5 all the way down to 20 degrees. 5W30 will flow with a weight of 5 down to 30 degrees, and so on. After those temperatures, the oil will thicken and flow like 10W or 20W, depending on how far below the minimum temperature the oil is.

If you live in a warm climate (i.e. the southeast or the midwest), 5W30 will be fine. But for those of us in the colder climates (i.e. the northeast), 5W20 will help our engines when the temperature drops below the freezing mark.

I apologize if this has been brought up between pages 5 and 29, but I'm reading through the old posts to see how things were early on, and I'm trying to provide some insite where I can. :smile:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have been using Valvoline 5W30 full synthetic. I love the stuff.
If I have a problem with my engine and the Ford guy asks if I have been using the 5W20 that Ford recommended (just so they could get one or two mpg out of the car for federal reporting issues)I will grin my big ole' CatSmashin grin and say in my best Steve McQueen cool daddy voice "Yes, Yes I have!"

·
Registered
243 Posts
Retromuscle hit the nail on the head. Personally, I still use Mobil 1 5w30 with no worries. If Mobil 1 comes out with 5w20, then I would switch, but at this time Mobil says they have no plans for it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I use Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) 5w-50 here in So Cal. I don't figure it ever gets much lower than 50 around here and 5w-20 was impossible to find. If Ford asks I'll tell them I use 5w-20.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-17 12:47, Bullitt#4660 wrote:
I use Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) 5w-50
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

It's really a hydrocracked synthetic, meaning a highly refined petroleum.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I just changed to Valvoline 20W50, an oil I have used for years. Just hammered the car around the race track all day Sunday. That kind of driving demands better protection than I think a 5W oil is going to provide. Tha car ran flawlessly, didn't blowup, break, leak or other dire consequence with the heavier oil in it.

Brian

·
Registered
714 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-17 13:05, 01GTB wrote:
I use Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) 5w-50

It's really a hydrocracked synthetic, meaning a highly refined petroleum.

It said full synthetic on the bottle and I paid 4 bucks a quart, that's all I know.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Bullitt#4660..

01GTB is right, Mobil sued Castrol and lost. The Castrol is not a true ester based sythetic but a new form of refined mineral oil based oil.

There was a big controversy in the lubricant industry over it. Mobil 1, Valvoline and Amsoil are true synthetics, Castrol is not.

Brian

·
Registered
172 Posts
Castrol makes both a full synthetic and a synthetic blend.At that price I am sure you got the full synthetic.I have used this oil in the past and I really like it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I use Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) 5w-50 here in So Cal. I don't figure it ever gets much lower than 50 around here and 5w-20 was impossible to find. If Ford asks I'll tell them I use 5w-20.

I had my first oil change at my dealer last week and they put in 5w-30. So I guess they aren't finding 5w-20 either.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Had first oil change on 2879 this past Saturday. Local Express Oil had Valvoline 5w-20 in stock but only in quarts. Said they do not use enough of it to have in bulk.

BTW, I was not aware that it took 6 quarts. Anyone buying their own will need to remember that.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
On 2001-10-18 07:37, FordBullitt wrote:
Bullitt#4660..

01GTB is right, Mobil sued Castrol and lost. The Castrol is not a true ester based sythetic but a new form of refined mineral oil based oil.

There was a big controversy in the lubricant industry over it. Mobil 1, Valvoline and Amsoil are true synthetics, Castrol is not.

Brian

Unfortunately, the a ruling allowing them to continue calling it 100% synthetic, also opens up the doors for others to do the same. After all, if the synthetic name sells the product, and you can call a highly refined mineral oil a synthetic, why wouldn't everyone go to this? Profits would increase greatly because of lower cost of producing hydrocracked synthetics. Who loses? The consumer. You don't see Castrol lowering the price just because it's cheaper to make.
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>Bullitt#4660 wrote:

It said full synthetic on the bottle and I paid 4 bucks a quart, that's all I know. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly my point. Castrol is selling a lesser oil for the same amount as a true synthetic. I wasn't trying to be an a-hole, but I think everyone should be aware of it. If people fail to recognize it, the other true synthetic oil producers may give up and go where the money's at.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-10-23 03:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
163 Posts
I found the 5w-20 without problems - What I could not find is a filter - What kind of oil filter does everyone use?

Also, Does the Bullitt take 5 quarts or 6 quarts?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts