Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heh guys! i have a technical question for you about the bullitt but am not to familiar with the site. i would appreciate any info on this question. why does the back tires look like they have some camber and how is it achieved if the car has a solid rear axle?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It may just be that the wheelwell overhang is fooling you, it is pretty much impossible to have any camber on a solid-axle car.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This is taken directly from the article about jacking up our cars the correct way in the bullitt archives.

"The rear axle is not perfectly straight. To allow the rear end to track correctly, there is about a 1 degree negative camber built into the rear axle. Basically what that means is that instead of axle being parallel with the ground, the differential is a little lower than the center line and the the top of the wheels tilt slightly towards the vehicle.If you lift the vehicle from the differential, you are putting stress on both left and right axle housings where they meet the differential, at the same time. They were not designed to perform in this manner. Although you may not break anything, you do not want to stress this area or slightly tweak it and remove or reduce this 1 degree negative camber."

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Bill Elliott won many races with camber in the rear wheels. It was many years before anyone caught him doing this

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Black4592 is right on...that's also why it's not recommended that you jack the rear end up from the third member, but instead, utilizing the appropriate pads as specified in the manual.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Black4592 said:
This is taken directly from the article about jacking up our cars the correct way in the bullitt archives.

"The rear axle is not perfectly straight. To allow the rear end to track correctly, there is about a 1 degree negative camber built into the rear axle. Basically what that means is that instead of axle being parallel with the ground, the differential is a little lower than the center line and the the top of the wheels tilt slightly towards the vehicle.If you lift the vehicle from the differential, you are putting stress on both left and right axle housings where they meet the differential, at the same time. They were not designed to perform in this manner. Although you may not break anything, you do not want to stress this area or slightly tweak it and remove or reduce this 1 degree negative camber."
Cool, learn something new every day. I wonder if this is only on the Bullitt as any Mustang I've done alignment to has had close to 0deg. camber in the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts