Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been a while since 10/20 when Aceblade (Chef Marc), the BRAD ( hoosierblackbullitt) and I had great fun at Carolina Motorsports Park with Carolina Regional Mustang Club's Performance Driving School, in both some dry but mainly wet on the new surface!
Been following on the interweb a relatively new club of "Maxspeed". Liked that they had pre-information of driving lines and rules, with a beginner driver test. And they hook up the student and instructor over the interweb before the event so they can get to know each other. Also they run CMP and RRR, tracks I know near me.
I am an instructor at CMP with 2 other clubs. Maxspeed accepted my instructor resume and this next weekend I get another beginner student to get him addicted to the road course.
My 08 BLLTT is at the mechanic's, getting PM'ed for the track.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
Wow, man! Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Enjoy! Hope to see you guys at Mohawk Track Experience this year. I'm signed up and plan on bringing the Roush. My other HPDE for the year will be at Hallett during the Mid America Ford Meet in June. Most of my "track time" this year will be autocrossing.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am already registered and psyched for Mohawk 21! Mohawk 20 helped get me thru 20, espcially with Treva's suppriance appearance! Treva drove my 08 on the track, Yeah! Bullittheads!
There could be an 01 Bullitt minimally modified Shoot Out at Mohawk 21. Brad and Kurtis, and any other 01 drivers. The glove will be thrown.
I am packed up and headed in the morning to Carolina Motorsports Park to instruct a 22 yoa in his first HPDE in his mom's '19 Camaro 2.SS. I had to research this Chevy. Close to a S550 Mustang. Will be some fun!
My track weekend is free as an instructor.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
I am packed up and headed in the morning to Carolina Motorsports Park to instruct a 22 yoa in his first HPDE in his mom's '19 Camaro 2.SS. I had to research this Chevy. Close to a S550 Mustang. Will be some fun!
Enjoy the SS. They are often recognized for their handling prowess in the automotive press, as I am sure you know.

Reactions: tossass4370

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, had to research the Camaro SS. Less HP than an S550 Bullitt but more torque. My student's mom's ride has the front collision avoidance option nanny, which he will have to disable. Glad we do not have that on the Bullitt.
Met my student and his mom at early registration this evening. Took him and his mom for a track walk, showing him the safe school lines, good and bad gators and safe off track lines. He appears to be a sponge, soaking it all in. I will take him for a run before he drives
I sence his mom could could become an addict too. I am a true pusher of track crack.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a blast at CMP with MaxSpeed, 2 weather perfect track days. Yet it was a learning experience for my perfect student, my track buddy Brian and me as an insructor and driver.
My student was a total track beginner, but had been a teenage quad racer until multiple injuries. As a college engineering student, he was a sponge for learning, got to love that. He developed great track awareness.
As an instructor and trained in adult learning 1 on 1, I was totally focused on him. He responded! In the 2nd day afternoon, during a lead-follow session, I let him fly on his own, telling him to win his trophy by driving his Mom's car home.
He came with an braking issue with the Camaro' 2 year old DOT3 brake fluid but Eric came equipped to flush the Camaro to DOT 4.
The '19 Camaro has so many computer nannies that it can quickly take a beginner to very very very fast speeds, correcting the operator mistakes that would otherwise be an off-track experience. Why did I use "operator", because they are not a DRIVER. The nannies save the operator's lack of skill. And the collision control system has to be disabled each engine start. Otherwise you will not be able pass on the track at close quarters.

Now my learning experience. I am totally into preventive maintenance, replacing parts before failure. But I totally screwed up with my tires, as I run DOT track slicks on track dry, they are my dancing shoes, giving me the edge on higher HP cars, but pricy. With the slicks, ran many events from 10/18 till last event 10/20 at CMP, I felt a loss of grip in the slicks, but I ignored it.

So, at CMP Saturday afternoon, on turn 3 track out left, the rear end came loose, totally unexpected at 60+mph. Tried to go right into the beautiful right side run off area. No rear grip and off to the terrible left, spinning, 1.5 spins. Tire walls await...

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Page 2.
The Track Gods of Brake, Turn In, APEX, Track Out and my Tinkerbell, giving me a stern warning on TRYE PM.

So, finally came to rest amongst a dust cloud in the destroyed tire walls, stalled out motor. We were not in the swamp, great. Threw the OK wave. Cranked the ignition and BLLTT responded. Began to pull out and saw the red flag and guessed it was for me. Got back on track and stopped. Black flag came out and returned to pit, with steering feeling good. Was sweating the potential damage to BLLTT during the 2 mile drive back to pit.
Pulled into the tech shed, expecting to find $$$$$ damage to BLLTT. Nope, began to laugh as other drivers and I inspected. Just bumps and bruises to BLLTT, except to the left front bumper cover and turn signal which were broken off their mounts and the left side splash guards torn off.
Track was cold and we (my posse) walked out. The tire walls destruction showed that BLLTT should have far more damage than it had. The first wall had impacted the second wall, keeping BLLTT from the swamp. The 4x4 tire walls are ropped and screwed together, but the ropes were sun aged and the tires were not bolted together, allowing for the walls to break apart on impact. We made out like a bandit!!!

After much contemplation, I have realized how this happened. I TOTALLY FAILED on PM with my tires. Last October 2020 at this same track, I noticed a lack of grip with the DOT slick tires, which I had run since 2018 at numerous events. I felt that I could get 1 more event before replacement. Nope.

This was the track gods and Tinkerbell giving me a stern warning, taking BLLTT out before a bad wreck on the KINK at 100+mph.

Sunday, got back on track on the BFG Sport Comp 2's, which are my roadtrip tires to the track and wet track tries. Had to saddle up. Waited till the 3rd session before making the tires talk. Cowboy up...

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So, we hit the tire walls at the perfect angles and they were green painted. Far less damage than expected. Will owe about $100+ to CMP to fix the tire walls. Pat, the track manager said he would be kind to me on the damage. I am still laughing. The track gods and Tinkerbell saved BLLTT.
The final story., serendipity.
Have a Ford OEM front CS front bumper and GT500 rear bumper ,in the raw, at the house and was going to install them back when I was showing BLLTT. Great, replace the front bumper with the CS.Talked with Chuck and he had Bullitt front and rear bumper in the attic, HG from 08 5623 before it became 68/08. I am not showing BLLTT anymore due to the collateral paint chips damage from tracking. Chuck pointed out that BLLTT is a tracker. Yup.
So, in my usual stop southbound I-75 at Byron Ga to get my Renee time, Chuck and I lashed the front and rear bumpers to the BLLTT trailer. They made it home safe. BLLTT will now have several donor parts from 5623.
Soon, will put the Ford OEM front CS and rear GT500 bumpers for sale on IMBOC. They should have been original on the Bullitt.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts