Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was showing my Bullitt to some friends the other day. They asked me to start it up so I did, I rev-ed the engine for them and it actually backfired as the revs came down. Anyone else experience this? Is it normal? It runs great and I've put nothing but 91 octaine in it.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
40,849 Posts
LIKE STEVE MCQUEEN...

Steve08 said:
So I was showing my Bullitt to some friends the other day. They asked me to start it up so I did, I rev-ed the engine for them and it actually backfired as the revs came down. Anyone else experience this? Is it normal? It runs great and I've put nothing but 91 octaine in it.
I don't really think that was "backfiring" you heard, Steve-O. The H-pipe configuration of the dual exhaust allows a build-up and release of pressure that causes the "popping" you took for backfire. What you heard, in essence, was the very soul of Mr. STEVE MCQUEEN!!!! (barking his approval, no doubt)...:lol:

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
StvMcQueen said:
I don't really that was "backfiring" you heard, Steve-O. The H-pipe configuration of the dual exhaust allows a build-up and release of pressure that causes the "popping" you took for backfire. What you heard, in essence, was the very soul of Mr. STEVE MCQUEEN!!!! (barking his approval, no doubt)...:lol:
I 2nd that !!!!!!!!

Terry

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
It's 'popping' as described above.

Listen to teh Ford web site with the Bullitt exhaust sound. play with the activation link, if you make it 'rev' repeatedly there you'll hear the 'popping there too!

Anyway, it's supposed to do that.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

·
Car Whisperer
21,578 Posts
backfire is more of a bang while the ehaust is a pop. the difference is very distictive so if it wasn't a bang, then it's the exhaust. Although I don't pretend to know all there is, the new 3V motors with the variable cam timing advances and retards timing according to RPM's as I understand it so I would theoretically think that reving the motor witout a load could cause such a quick variance in the rpm's that the timing could not "catch up" and possibly create detonation which would be the backfire.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Frankenstang said:
backfire is more of a bang while the ehaust is a pop. the difference is very distictive so if it wasn't a bang, then it's the exhaust. Although I don't pretend to know all there is, the new 3V motors with the variable cam timing advances and retards timing according to RPM's as I understand it so I would theoretically think that reving the motor witout a load could cause such a quick variance in the rpm's that the timing could not "catch up" and possibly create detonation which would be the backfire.

Just my 2 cents worth.
In the Bullitt it's accentuated in the design of the H-pipe.

The popping or more of a 'rapping' really is very much like a '50's Ford Y-block with glasspacks when letting off the throttle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.