Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just hit 2500 miles on the car since the 5th of May when I last dynoed. You can see the mods I've added since then and I was expecting some good gains. The car pulled 227 hp and only 254 trq (WTF!) The only thing I can think of is the car was still hot from the 25 minute drive and it was around 100 degrees outside. When I get home I'll scan the sheet and post.
To make maters worse...a Viper RT handed me my ass in a bad way on the way home. Looked like my Bullitt vs a kid on a big wheel!

·
Registered
393 Posts
you will lose a little dyno power from having the (higher numeric) gears installed. If the car was extremely hot from the drive, that could cost you some power. There's 2 whammies.

However, I'm really wondering about these offroad pipes. They seem to be unimpressive from what I've seen posted. I'm thinking the Bullitt setups like a little back pressure. And that's REALLY alarming your losing tourque!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Well I have heard,from a good source,that an off road,no cat pipe, will cause the computer to pull some timing out,without a chip tune. Did you bring your leaf blower,no kidding here on that,it does show 5 RWHP! It simulates the air flowing around the air intake/filter at speed. Finally,the dragstrip will show you the true power,by figuring your MPH thru the traps and your as run weight.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't know learo? That's what I've always been told by tech shops around here that do dynos. Something about the additional frictional effect of shallower gears? Probably not a great difference between 3.27s and 3.73s, but maybe some?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will put some cats on the o/r pipe and change out the mufflers to a straight through style.
I have also heard that the gears will show about a 3-5 hp drop.

What does reflash the computer mean and how have the timing adjusters been working?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Crimecrusher on 2001-08-22 14:47 ]</font>

1,169 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-22 14:44, Crimecrusher wrote:
I think I will put some cats on the o/r pipe and change out the mufflers to a straight through style.
I have also heard that the gears will show about a 3-5 hp drop.

What does reflash the computer mean and how have the timing adjusters been working?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Crimecrusher on 2001-08-22 14:47 ]</font>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
The early Bullitts had code 01 the later bullitts had code 02. Some of the 01 Bullitt owners had a tapping noise coming from there engines so the dealer can reflash the 01 computer code to 02.The reflash to 02 retards the timing some guys won't reflash to the 02 because you may lost some HP. I have 01 and have no tapping noise.

GSCA #3535
BCA #36858
2001 BULLITT #1042 DHG
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Conv. 4 Speed
1965 Bucik Skylark Gran Sport Conv. Auto

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT #1042 (Ray Ackerman) on 2001-08-23 22:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
762 Posts
Crimecrusher, I can't speak for anyone else on the matter of off-road no cats vs with cats. However, on my car with the longtube headers, short off road no cats, stock cat back, no change in timing and 373's my car dyno'd 253rwhp 287.9 rwtq @ 3:54:46 pm. Earlier that morning @ 9:45:28 am the stock baseline reading was 232.5 rwhp and 266.2 rwtq. Also, no loss was seen at all across the entire curve. Is my car really making that kind of power? In a word yes, I checked the hp equation with trap speed and vehicle weight and without my body weight the figure was exactly 258 which is what I last dyno'd at. I realize that the calculation isn't completely accurate because of the other varialble involved however it was the same as my dyn figure. Also I spoke to a trusted knowledgeable racer/tuner Paul S. and he felt my trap numbers given the track conditions and my mods were good and that with more foot practice that I can expect at "least" another 3 mph. So are off roads bad??? Well like I stated at least for my particular set up that's not the case. As for going head to head with the Viper I say you were brave but that was lost fight before it even started

·
Registered
393 Posts
only problem is roush, you're setup included long tube headers that should increase tourqe across the band as compared to the stock manifolds or even shorty headers. So you had other factors working with the offroad. Tough to judge.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah that is a good point. I wish it would have been possible at the time to do a step by step dyno but time was a big concern.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree with the header comment. Longtubes make a HUGE difference. I've seen dyno numbers on a big block 402 fluctuate 4 or 5 hp between standard headers & long tubes, but the torque numbers varied by as much as 20 lb/ft. I'm sure those numbers are considerably different on a small block, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have a friend with a 99GT with a bunch of mods. He had the off road hpipe and dynoed it. He got good numbers. Later he decided to put the stock cat hpipe back on. Had it dynoed again and lost 15hp and a bunch of torque. I suspect...and he hasn't done it yet....that when he puts an aftermarket cat hpipe on he will gain some of it back. In a week we're going to install a Vortech SQ blower on his GT. It's going to be pretty awesome once he gets a good tuneup on it. The next step after that is long tube headers with a matching cat hpipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 96 GT and i have no dyno numbers but i put the bassani o/r x pipe on with 2 chamber flows and dropped my time .3 i also have cold air intake and pullies and am running 14.2

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Hey Crimecrusher, nothing wrong with getting spanked by a $80K car. Got to ride in a 94 model and it was sheer fright. The Viper is capable of burning the tires right off the rims.

·
Premium Member
18,821 Posts
The December issue of 5.0 has a dyno run of the Bullitt (bone stock) with 238.2 HP at the rear wheels. Torque was 276.2 at the rears.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-11-24 10:41, Collin Wayne wrote:
The December issue of 5.0 has a dyno run of the Bullitt (bone stock) with 238.2 HP at the rear wheels. Torque was 276.2 at the rears.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That figures in at 274 hp at the flywheel. :grin:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,048 Posts
Thanks Nasty Bob! Thanks for equating it in flywheel terms for us folks who dont' want to get out the calculator! :lol: (Or, who don't know how--the real truth)....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts