Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My fiance filled up her car yesterday, drove it 20-30 miles to my place without any issues. She then drove it back to her place and start having the following issues about halfway home. I'm thinking it was some bad gas, but would like to know your thoughts.

1995 Honda Accord
1. The first thing that happened was her speedometer would go from the correct speed to 60-100mph.
2. Her tachometer then started to bounce around
3. Her car started to drive/idle rough
4. At traffic lights her car would have a hard time going

I would like to know you guys' thoughts, please. I have heard to put some gas treatment in the tank and fill it up with some high octane to help it get through the bad gas. I have also heard to change the fuel filter, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do this just yet.

Now on the business end, what should we do with the gas station where she bought the gas? Ask/demand a refund? Have them pay for any repairs? Should we report the bad gas elsewhere?

Thanks guys,
Paul

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Not sure that your bad gas claim would work. It would take some pretty stiff evidence to back up your claim. Even then you would end up in small claims court unless it ruined the engine. You could report them to the BBB but again you need proof that it was their gas that caused the problem.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Speedo jumping around sounds more like an electrical issue. What about the other dash guages? Engine rounning rough could be gas or like I said, electrical. Maybe computer issues? I dunno if the speedo is electronic, but I think it is on that car. That's my best guess. If you want to treat it as a gas issue I'd sure get some octane booster and dry gas and throw in the tank. Then run the heck out of it. If that doesn't cure it, take it to a shop and see what they think after putting it on a computer. Same thing happened to my wife's car last month and it was the gas. But then again it had no electrical indications of something going wrong.

The service station should take your complaint. If more than one customer has a problem they will help you maybe. If a lot of customers have problems they will be looking to help everyone they can. If it's just her complaining, then it's unlikely you would get any response from them. And more than likely it's the car having the problem. My nephew had one of those older Hondas (same vintage, maybe a 96 model Accord). It had a fancy carburator on it. The carb had failed and the dealer was the only parts source. Not to scare you, but it cost $1200 for a rebuilt carb...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea it does sound more like an electrical issue. Not sure on the speedo, but my fiance said the rest of the gauges looked normal (besides tach). You think it would throw any codes? I think I'll take it by Autozone and see if they'll put the ODBII scanner on it.

I'd rather not deal with gas station, but if the gas is what caused the issues, then I want her/us to be protected and not have to responsible for the repairs.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did some more research, it looks like it's most likely the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and a slight chance it's the transmission. I forgot to add the D4 light was flashing. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what happens. (Hooray for $200 parts!)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
pnut said:
Hey guys,
My fiance filled up her car yesterday, drove it 20-30 miles to my place without any issues. She then drove it back to her place and start having the following issues about halfway home. I'm thinking it was some bad gas, but would like to know your thoughts.

1995 Honda Accord
1. The first thing that happened was her speedometer would go from the correct speed to 60-100mph.
2. Her tachometer then started to bounce around
3. Her car started to drive/idle rough
4. At traffic lights her car would have a hard time going

Paul
I hear that happens a lot when UFO's are in the vicinity. Does she have any loss of memory/time? Shut up David, right? Buy her a Bullitt and fageddaboutit.:grin:

Good luck on getting it fixed.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, maybe it the leftovers from Humberto... I would get her a bullitt, but she can't drive stick. I've tried to teach her, but the clutch is a little too hard.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sounds like your on the right path with a vss/ possible trans.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car finally threw a code and it turned out to be what I thought it was - the VSS. Swapped it out yesterday - car seems to be running better - hopefully it fixed it. Time will tell. I appreciate everyone's input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts