Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please see my post in the mechanical issues forum about my problem with my paint.

Here's the update. My car went into the body shop on Monday the 23rd to have the paint refinished. Covert Ford in Hutto (the absolute BEST dealer around) calls today to let me know what is going on. The "industrial fallout" on my car is so bad they can't repair it without repainting my whole car. That was my worst nightmare. But before I could say anything the salesman that sold me the car says "we don't want to sell you a new car, especially a Bullitt, that has to be repainted, so we are going down to the Austin store today to pick up a brand new Black Bullitt and we are going to give you a new car".

Holy cow, I am totaly blown away. This is of course what I wanted to happen, but the absolute last thing I expected. I was getting to the point of settling for a new paint job as long as they would warranty it.

So I get to go down in the morning and pick up my brand new Bullitt....again! How lucky can one person be? I get the pleasure of being the first owner of two new Bullitt's.

One sad note, Black Bullitt #3696 is going back to Ford to be destroyed. Oh how that pains me to think of that. I will miss you buddy, you were a great car for 650 miles even if you weren't perfect on the outside.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Sorry to hear that John. At least you're getting a new Bullitt. It's just a shame it has to come to that. My has two very prominent scratches on the driver's rear quarter from transport and the only way to fix them is repaint it. I also found some flaws IN the paint on the hood that con only be seen while standing at certain angles and I know that would have to be repainted. What to do.
You're situation makes me think that we should have a "memorial" thread for Bullitt's after they "move on". Have what happened, the number, and the ending miles. Hmmm.
I wonder if Ford will use it for a test car????_________________

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chilli bullitt on 2001-07-25 23:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
HolyCOW!
I have found several places in my paint, but I cannot imagine it being so bad that the car had to be repainted!

Do you have pics of the damage?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Going to destroy it!! Man that seems drastic. I would think that the dealer could have the car repainted and get the credit from Ford for the expense and still sell it.

So that brings up a thought, anybody hear of destroyed Bullitts yet. Sounds like we may have one so far.

Hope your new Bullitt works out better. You serial number may even be lower.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Yea- crushing the car is pretty drastic, but they cannot sell this car.

Hey FORD- Remove the Bullitt Number, remove the interior and other bits--- transplant them to Bullitts needing them (spotted headlights, wheels, etc) and give the roller chassis to someone to build a Speedvision Cup or GrandAm racer.

The thing still runs... then why destroy it?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have had to have some spot painting done on mine but I swear it seems the dealer just makes it worse every time I take it in.
I hate taking my Bullitt to the dealer. To them its just another car but not to me and they know how to PMO ! Good luck with your new ride! Thanx Havgun #1676

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Havgunwiltrav on 2001-07-26 09:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
My Bullit had damage to the left rear quarter upon arrival and had to be repainted along with the rear deck lid and rear facia. The dealership that painted it is a small rual dealership and they did one heck of a job. I can't tell it from the factory paint at all. This was my first good experience with having a car repainted. So, shop around there are some good paint guys out there, even in the dealerships.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shortly after taking possession of my car in June, I noticed a couple of small thin cracks in the paint on the nose area of the hood. I had been putting off bringing it to the dealer fearing they would do a lousy job of repainting it. Turns out my daughter has a friend who works in the body shop of a local Ford dealer and he sets me up with the body shop manager. The guy takes one look and says no problem we'll take care of it. They seem great so far, hopefully they will do the job right and my daughters friend will keep an eye on it. It's scheduled for August 14th. Keeping my fingers crossed, I know how hard it is to match up black.

·
Registered
280 Posts
3696 won't be crushed, who told you that it would? In Washington state, at least, the car can be repaired then resold as a used car with a disclaimer in the window stating that the car did not meet the expectations of the original owner but has been corrected and will have a limited 12 month 12,000 miles warranty. I've seen a few of these in our service department.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your right, 3696 won't be crushed. Ford (the manufacturer) is buying it back from Covert Ford and taking possesion of it. They told the dealer they want to study the paint to try and eliminate this in the future. Also it may serve as a test car or end up as some VP's personal ride. Ford did say since the car is limited edition and numbered it will not be "fixed" and resold to the public.

Now its kinda neat knowing I owned a little piece of Bullitt trivia.

Janitorworld, I would keep yours if I was you. I would have kept mine if I knew that they could have fixed the industrial fallout problem, especially since it's one of 4 metallic Bullitts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts