Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, I'm so heart broken. I just picked my car up Monday and due to a heavy workload today is the first day I've been able to REALLY inspect my car.

I wash her up and get her all nice and clean again and start looking at the paint. On the trunk lid there are these diagonal lines that run from the front of the trunk lid to the back. They are almost parallel and make a V and meet in the middle. There are about 4-5 on each side of the trunk. Upon further inspection I find the roof, and hood have almost a matte finish to them. From 5-10 feet away the car looks beautiful, but get at the right angle/close enough and you can see it. It's almost like Ford left out a step in the paint process. The paint under the clearcoat just isn't shiney like a black clearcoat car should be. Like I said, it looks like a flat matte look to it.

So I take it back to Covert Ford and they bring the service manager out to see it. He says his dept. can't handle it so he puts me in touch with the paint/body shop they use to see what they can do about it. I take it over there and the manager there calls it "chemical fallout" or something like that from the plant. Basically while the car is on the assembly line all the dust, chemicals, pollutants, etc from the plant "settle" into the clearcoat. While he is inspecting my car he notices that the right front quarter panel has already been buffed out. It's a lot clearer than the rest of the car, but still not perfect. Also you can see all the swirl marks in it from the buffer. I called Covert back and they said they have not touched the car with a buffer, only washed and prepped it for delivery. They said it must have been done at Ford before it left.

The body shop said they would start by doing a 3 step process. I don't know much about this, so bear with me and I'll find out the specifics about it tomorrow. 1) Chemical bath. They use some sort of chemical compound that looks like clay and go over the whole car, then buff it out. This creates swirls on the car so 2) They polish the paint, and finally 3) Wax it 2-3 times to get the final finish like it's supposed to be from Ford. They said this should work, but they have seen one other case (black GT) where it was so bad they had to repaint the whole car. This brings me to my worst fear.

What are my options if they have to repaint my whole car? I'm not sure I want that done, because it feels like to me the car will be "tainted" in some way. It's almost like after a car has been wrecked and fixed, it's never the same. I would want Ford to give me a new car, but I know that's not realistic. Do I have any other options? Or am I just stuck with a new paint job if that's what it comes to?

I'm in the Austin area and can't get into the body shop until the 23rd if anyone wants to see the car before then or can help me in any way. Also for all you Austin folks, Covert Hutto has been super about this. They just told me to let them know when the work is being done and they will have a loner car waiting for me. They are bending over backwards (at least right now) trying to help me. But then again, they should.

Sorry so long. And yes, the smile has been wiped off my face. I still love my car though!

·
Registered
310 Posts
John I would say you are pretty much stuck with the vehicle you received , however how does the paint look in the door jams under the hood and trunk deck. IF these areas are fine then a repaint of the outside should be fine. Its just getting the job done right in the areas not seen is the hard part. But like I said if they are good then an outside job should make her look like new again. And besides its under warranty! Juat a thought Thanx Havgun #1676

·
Registered
39 Posts
When i got my car it had a bunch of swirl marks all over the car? I havent waxed it yet. I heard zymol is a good wax. Also When you get a new car doesnt it come waxed. Why did mine have swirl marks. You only see the marks when you look in the sun.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
GreenBullitt,
Try Zaino Bro's clay bar as per instructions than use their show car polish. The clay bar takes out the swirls and impurities on the paint. The polish is outstanding and everything glides right off of it. I was skeptical to use it, I thought it would be really expensive. I found it to be really reasonable in price and is an outstanding polish. Use it instead of way. I believe you will like it as much as the thousands of others who recommend it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i've been kinda waiting to wax for solvents to rise from paint, dont know if itdoes any good or not but it sounds good as the paint is only 3 months old,, probably will soon though, any thoughts would be appreciated...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had swirl marks in my right front fender when it came off the truck (I watched it come off and never left it.) I spent the day at the dealer when it came in. It definitely had been buffed on as there were still splatters from the compound they used. I had visions of some gorilla at the factory grinding away on my clear coat. Also, there is s spot on the front bumper where they buffed right through the clear-coat. Now, it looks like a "fish-eye" but the body shop guy at Ford is a friend and he said I'm better off leaving it is-is. There are boogers is the paint on the left rear quarter panel and left front fender. I'm going to leave them alone. I think there's less chance of it getting more screwed up that way. That's just my thought. I could be wrong, but I don't want anyone else touching my car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McQueen Green on 2001-07-25 10:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McQueen Green on 2001-07-25 10:56 ]</font>

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,031 Posts
We had many many swirl marks on our car from Factory and dealership. Hubby has been working on her every day for a week now as we have a local car show on Saturday. Today she is more beautiful and SHINY as the day we got her! It was a lot of hard work but they do come out!

He is using Zymol cleaner wax for fine scratches and swirl removal (blue).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-07-25 11:55 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
There is a KNOWN problem with the Bullitt's and other Ford cars when they ship on convoy carriers with the white plastic paint shields attached to the car. What happens is that air bubbles develop under this plastic and the whole time your car is in transit this plasic barrier is slapping on the finish of your car. Doing EXACTLY what you've described. It was first pointed out to me when the Bullitts were first released by my dealerships prep guy when I went down the first time to get my Bullitt that wasn't mine(long story). Anyhow.. this plastic was applied to ALL flat upward facing surfaces of your car. Hood, trunk, roof, and even the fenders in some cases. This is a 100% dealer responsible item to be fixed. If you search here and the Foums over at BON, Stangnet and I even think there's a blurb or 2 over at the Yahoo Club that Nasty started. This should help them narrow down what is wrong and they should be able to fix it from there.

Good luck!

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-07-25 17:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-07-25 17:29 ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts