Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, should I or shouldn't I? Bone stock. Leaning towards doing it in the spring after I bring her out of hibernation. Would love to hear opinions on the BAMA or Bren tune. Thanks, 3121

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Welcome to IMBOC and the wonderful world of BULLITT! We drive special Mustangs that the Ford engineers did special tweaks to.

Bone stock and first thinking of a tune? NO!!!

The Ford engineers put an enhanced tune in the ECM computer, to go with the cold air intake (first time for a CAI in a GT), along with a sensor that detects the fuel octane rating and the ECM adjusts octane level timing automatically.
With the stock tune, you can use any octane level and get the performance level you paid for at the pump.
If you go to a tune, you have to use the tune set octane rating. Unless you are drag racing or road coursing, the stock tune will do you good.

I have a SCT tuner with a 93 octane performance tune by a major tuning company. I use the Ford OEM stock tune with 87 octane fuel for everyday use and only put in the performance 93 octane tune for track road course days. I get better mileage with cheaper 87 gas with the Ford OEM stock tune in highway cruising than with the 93 performance tune.

Save your $. A tune can wait until you decide what road your Bullitt will go along. Spend your $ on brakes, tires, shifter, modest bling or GAS DRIVING YOUR BULLITT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome advice, I really appreciate it! Yes I knew of the octane detection feature...I run non-eth 91. If a non OEM tune won't improve anything then not gonna do it. Staying stock! Cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't. Get some bolt ons first. I put a 93 tune on my v6 with after bolt ons and it was like a whole new car but that was mostly because of the shifting since it was an auto. After I got the Bullit i took it off since 93 is about 70 cents extra per gallon here in Indiana. If you're only doing bolt on mods id stick with a Bama tune but if youre planning on some big mods I'd wait and do a dyno.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
If you want a few more horse from stock, then look at an underdrive pulley. Reduces the parasitic energy drain (revolutions of the belt) to the A/C and P/S, allowing a few more horsepower to the drivetrain. Does not affect stock tune.
I run a Steeda underdrive pulley set-up. In FL, have not noticed any difference in the A/C and on the road course, no lack of P/S.
But beware the mod bug...

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a bama SCT tuner I'm not using, but I don't know what it takes to use it on another car.

·
Car Whisperer
20,870 Posts
if you are going to tune, a local custom tune to your car is best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That’s a great reply Tossass4370. I just got my #4832 three weeks ago and I have been wondering the same thing as Surly. The only mod mine has is a set of stock Shelby GT500 KR mufflers. Any reason those would call for a tune on an otherwise stock Bullitt?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi GLC1979!
Welcome to IMBOC and the king of the cool world, BULLITTS!
The KR mufflers are a great mod, enhancing the smooth throb of the tuned Bullitt H-pipe. The KR mufflers should have been stock for the Bullitt!
The KR mufflers do not need a performance tune. Stay with the OEM tune, as it allows you to use 87 to 93 octane for your desired results.

A performance tune will only benefit one for advanced dragging or road coursing. And then with engine mods.

And beware the modification bug. It becomes an expensive disease. Chart your mod course.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I wouldn't waste my $$ on a Bama tune... again. Been there, done that, all to no avail. They never got it right.

Save yourself the time & effort. Go this route w/Steeda, IMHO, the best company out there for Bullitt mods; all the basic bolt-on power you can get w/out spending serious $$. I'd argue about the 4.10 gears altho lots of guys here will argue for the 4.10's. But outside of them, Steeda gets the job done and done correctly.

Buy it now and get the Black Friday savings- blammo, all done.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-ultimate-power-pack-555-2410.html

Just saw you already have the FR500S cans so you can eliminate that from the purchase also; stick w/the Steeda CAI/tune, under drive pulley, and charge motion plates. See, I'm saving you $$$.
Lee

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
If you're like me, car won't stay stock for long. I added axle-back exhaust & CAI within 1st year. Bundled JLT CAI & SCT tuner fm Brenspeed w/their 80/91/93 tune files. This way I can adapt, as necessary. Welcome & good luck w/your future mods - enjoy that sweet ride!

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have been tuning and building the 3V's since 2005 so we definitely know a lot about tuning them. Although it is not required, you will gain more power through the rpm band, a tad bit better mpg and your also going to get rid of all of that throttle lag that you get from the stock tuning with the electronic throttle body.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't know if it's a fact. I've seen some dyno tuners who hadn't a clue what they were doing & did a whole lot of damage while doing so. Check out youtube for dyno disasters and you'll see what I mean.

It's a matter of finding a reputable mail order tuner. I've used 5 different companies for tunes (no, not naming them). 4 provided products that just never lived up their reputations but one did: STEEDA.

I've used Steeda on 3 Stangs and never had a problem. Always a solid, reliable, strong tune w/nary a problem or hiccup. I'd use Steeda again in a heartbeat w/no concerns. Matter of fact, I'm thinking about ordering their CAI/SCT X4/tune set-up for my GT500 today seeing as its Black Friday and the deal they're offering on that combo is not to be beaten at this moment.
Lee

·
Car Whisperer
20,870 Posts
would have to respectfully disagree. Bama tunes and even some on here have had issues with Brenspeed's tune. if you use a reputable tuner, the tune is much better than any canned tune since it is specific to the vehicle and we all know that all the vehicle are not the same. some cars run better than others for whatever reason. just find a reputable tuner and you are set.

as to the Steeda tune, have no experience with theirs. have had some experience with some of their stuff and I have had issues.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I had a Brenspeed tune in my 01 Bullitt and it was REAL LEAN. Ran it on a dyno and had to end up adding 14% more fuel to get the a/f ratio where we wanted it. Just sayin'.

·
Car Whisperer
20,870 Posts
Therein lies the problem with a canned tune. you don't know what it is doing. the a/f can be off, the timing maps can be off even when it seems to run good. for me, I want to know what it is doing and not ride around relying on something I have no idea of. the dyno is where the information you need to know for a safe running engine. Faster or better is not necessarily safe.

Reactions: tossass4370

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
08 Bullits already tuned for 91 Octane. Pistons don't like lean. The factory tune can adapt all the way down to 87 Octane.
Add on tunes may not, and then it's "smoke em if you got em."

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
08 Bullits already tuned for 91 Octane. Pistons don't like lean. The factory tune can adapt all the way down to 87 Octane.
Add on tunes may not, and then it's "smoke em if you got em."
According to Ford Engineering, the adaptive tune will adjust up to 93 Octane. Racing fuel will not help here.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm a bit late, but wanted to add...

A Bama tune can be a great first mod, and my car definitely felt faster and drove differently for having it. Every engine mod that actually adds performance will need a tune, so you'll be paying for it at some point anyway.

Once you buy a tune from Bama, they'll re-tune for free, for life. This is helpful if you plan to mod in stages rather than all at once. Their tunes definitely aren't perfect, but I've had several of them since 2012, with no issues. That's 65k+ miles without a single tune related problem. A custom dyno tune is clearly best, but I'm waiting until I'm done modding.

Bama will also work with you on a more precise tune, if you can datalog. I've had my car dyno'd a couple of times, just to see where hp/tq were, and Bama seems to stay safe with a/f ratio (though I have no idea what timing looks like from a dyno sheet).

Anyhoo, just thought I'd add a different perspective than those previously mentioned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts