Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Bassani X w/cats installed today. My first impression is that it definitely changed the sound of the exhaust. The exhaust is deeper sounding but smoother. I'm not sure if I like it yet. The exhaust lost some of its raspiness. almost like the exhaust pulses aren't as seperated. It almost seems quieter than stock.
As far as power goes, I don't feel a difference. I think only the dyno or track will show if there is a difference.
I'm reserving final judgement until I get used to the new sound.

Eric

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ground clearance or Clearance with the underside of the car?

Ground clearance is not an issue. It doesn't hang any lower than the stock exhaust.

I haven't driven it enough to determine if there will be clearance issues with the Trans and drivetrain.

I will be listening/watching for these things.

Eric

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2001-09-27 19:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
543 Posts
Eric, I have been running a Bassani X with cats for over a month now. You are not going to be pleased until you wield in two Magnaflow mufflers into your stock catback. They go for about $46 a piece and the installation will cost you about $60. The sound turns heads everywhere I go. BTW, clearance isn't a issue.

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey True Blue Bullitt, regarding the welded-in install of the magnaflow mufflers you recommend, I have two questions: 1. Is there any annoying amount of freeway drone from them? 2. Did you get any additional power from the muffler change (w/o changing the pipes and tips)? I am contemplating finishing the bassani x pipe w/cats that I have with their cat back system (but hell, it's expensive and I'm concerned whether I'll like the sound). I want a louder idle most of all and then louder (not excessively)on acceleration, but I don't want an annoying freeway (mid 2k rpm) drone-possible?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recommend bolting up bassani's cat-back. I have their x and cat-back on my bullitt and it sounds perfect. Decent idle, sounds kick ass at WOT. I drive 4 hours each weekend from RI to PA, and the exhaust is not at all annoying on the highway. I did have the off-road x-pipe. It was to loud for my taste. Sounded like a nascar but was 300hp shy of one. I still have the o/r x-pipe for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Upslayer, if you can afford the $400 -$429 plus $75 for installation for a Magnaflow or Magnapack catback system then go for it. Your X pipe is 2.5". Your stock catback is 2.25". So wielding in 2.25" Magnaflow mufflers into the stock system isn't really going to do anything but improve the exhaust note. I couldn't see dropping that kind of money now but I had to do something to fix the exhaust note and drone in the car. Magnaflows are straight through mufflers. They are very quiet at idle. Best described as a "gurgle" at idle. But man, when you hit the gas it is music to your ears. Pure Winston Cup sound. All the sound is at the tailpipe. Nothing in the passenger cabin at any RPM. I find myself driving with the window down to appreciate the exhaust note.

John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-09-28 14:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are the bassani w/cats california emissions legal? Ive heard that you will fail the "visual inspection" part of the emissions test with them. Does anyone know about this for sure?

Scott
DHG 1823

·
Registered
543 Posts
In Georgia they do a visual inspection but they don't check to see if you have the same number of cats that came from the factory. They just make sure you have cats on the car. Always save your H pipe just in case it becomes an issue.

Pro 5.0 Shifter
Densecharger CAI
Superchips Premium Fuel Chip
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
GT Fog Lights / Tinted Windows
MGW LTD Interior Pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TrueBlueBullitt on 2001-09-29 19:05 ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts