Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm up to a big fat 7000 miles now on my 2008 Bullitt. I wind up driving it maybe once every week or so on average and would like advice on maintaining the battery. I know that one obvious answer is a trickle charger. But otherwise, realistically how often and for how long would I need to be starting it and/or driving it on a regular basis in order to preserve the battery? I live in Virginia so the weather here allows me to drive it pretty much all year long.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Buy a trickle charger with a quick disconnect that permanently attaches to the battery. Then just plug it in after you drive the car and it will always be charged up. Suggest you don't start the car regularly unless you are going to warm it up under load (20 minutes) ie drive it. Running a car statically will just cause moisture issues in the oil, engine and exhaust.
If it's in a garage it can sit a long while as long as the battery is charging.

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
I'm keeping my battery charged, the tank is full of no alcohol 91 octane. But, haven't driven the car since mid March. Wondering how long the gas it good for? With all the lockdowns, mask requirements, etc. imposed by kommisar Kate Brown here in the people's republic of Oregon, nowhere to go.

Thinking maybe I should make a long and boring Interstate slog for no reason other than to burn out the stale gas and replace with fresh.

(edit) Movieman..only 7,000 miles? Well, I'm sure the next owner will appreciate that.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Put some fuel stabilizer in it Paul and go for a run, then top off the fuel.

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Yeah..either that or sell the car. Our driving these days is limited to medical appointments and resupply runs. All done in Cindy's Camry, better suited for those chores. Both in our 70's now..feeling we're being robbed of a large portion of the time we have left.

Thanks a lot...China.

·
Administrator
6,487 Posts
Yeah..either that or sell the car. Our driving these days is limited to medical appointments and resupply runs. All done in Cindy's Camry, better suited for those chores. Both in our 70's now..feeling we're being robbed of a large portion of the time we have left.

Thanks a lot...China.
pwd72 - You know you have a potential buyer here in OH. :) :)

To the OP - I've stored my current '09 and use a trickle charger that conditions the battery since I don't drive it for at least 4-6 weeks at a time (sometimes longer). I've let the car go for 2 or 3 weeks on my last battery and noticed some hesitancy when starting. It wasn't that bad when the battery was new, but as it aged and with about those same sitting intervals, it got harder to start. I think that battery lasted 1 1/2 years with no conditioning (it was Motorcraft). This is just my experience from the past 4 years of ownership with it sitting a lot more than driving. I do store mine now, and it sits on a trickle charger.

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Just got home from a 150 plus miles slog down I-5 and back..4th gear for a lot of it, trying to burn gas. Filled up with 8.2 gallons of no alcohol 91 octane, plus 6 1/2 ounces of Stabil..(1 oz. per 2.5 gallons in the 16 gallon tank.) Still below the 32,ooo miles mark...So, half the tank fresh, half about 10 months old. Ran great on the 10 months old no alcohol, so not overly worried about stale gas now...

Tony, don't know what, if anything, I'd want to buy if I sold the car. So, just hangin' in there. Damn Oregon lockdown makes me feel like that's all I'm doing...hanging in, just waiting for the grim reaper to knock. Damnit, I really miss playing pool! :mad:

·
Administrator
6,487 Posts
Tony, don't know what, if anything, I'd want to buy if I sold the car. So, just hangin' in there. Damn Oregon lockdown makes me feel like that's all I'm doing...hanging in, just waiting for the grim reaper to knock. Damnit, I really miss playing pool! :mad:
Another 2008-09 Bullitt - hahaha!

Actually, why not this Porsche since you were a former owner? It's green!

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Why not a GT3? When the old Porsche left here, I promised Cindy no more Porsches. But really? $$$$ combined with the stone cold fact that a GT3 would give this old man more problems than one of Jimbob's kuties!

My old Porsche, a '72 911S, was green as well. Caused a bit of a stir among the early 911 collector set when I shipped it off to Istanbul back in 2005. I pissed off all the right people. Gave my Turkish friend very much a friend's price. It a mostly original at 56,000 miles, still sporting original paint. No dings...At auction today, it would bring more than the price of that GT3. (2004 photo.) I got weary of all the paranoia and caring for it, plus it was attracting people I didn't like much....when it left, I vowed I'd get a cheap driver. A car that drove out okay yet not so valuable. One I could park it and walk away without worry. The '09 Bullitt has filled that role pretty well.

Wow...a pretty lengthy rant to simply say "been there-done that". The '72S was my 4th..and final..Porsche.

·
Administrator
6,487 Posts
Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
My apologies as well. As far as trickle chargers go,,my advice is to go with a good brand that has an auto shutoff feature. Meaning once the battery is fully charged, it shuts off until battery discharges, the starts up again. Pretty much all of them do that now, but never hurts to check. Some advertise a "pulse technology" that supposed to help keep the battery plates clean. I don't know how much of this is truth or how much is advertising hype, but I figure it can't hurt-might help.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i use a Norco genius G3500 charger. it can charge AGM and regular batteries. it regulates itself on how much power it puts out and can turn itself off if needed.
when i bought it there was as cable to hood to your battery direct so you don't have those hokey clamp ends causing problems. this direct connect unplugs from the main cable for easy connect and disconnect.
they seem to sell between $50-$100 on ebay.
this is a similar charger from HF 4 Amp Fully Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
My vote is for the PulseTech XC100-P battery charger. The battery in my 09 lasted a little over 10 years with one. I connect it whenever I'm not driving the Bullitt. A little pricey but it works great. The only problem I had was when a power surge took out my chargers and some other small electronics. I now have a whole house surge protector and as a second layer, run my chargers on surge protected power strips. The surge protector would be a good idea for any small solid-state battery charger. You have to buy PulseTech from an authorized dealer to get the factory warranty. When I bought mine Impact Battery had the best price. https://www.impactbattery.com/

Good Luck,
Dave T.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great information and recommendations. I'll look at everything and pick one out.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
One caution note to add...constant starting/stopping motor f/ short periods isn't good (added wear/tear + moisture, acids & contaminants cycling through). For that loooooong-term storage, change fluids, top-off, add Sta-Bil, connect tender & leave 'er sleep.

Reactions: pwd72s

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wonder if a trickle charger would help extend the life of a battery…its over 100 degrees daily, and I‘m just leaving the garage, driving it about 5 miles, parking (under shade if I can find it) and jumping in a car pool.

I stopped by an autozone and checked the battery today, it’s @ 68%, advised just need to be charged

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts