Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Bullittheads, I wanted to share with ya all my experience lately with an article I submitted to my Mustang Club's newsletter.

There was an e-mail going around for awhile called "If My Body Were a Car" a year or so ago. I forwarded it on to my family/friends, no big deal. Well, in all the years I have been with my local Mustang Club, many of us have submitted forwarded e-mails to the editor of our monthly newlsletter for publication usually pertaining to cars. I did not sign my name to the article but the editor at the end of the article put "by" and my full name. It made it sound like I wrote it. But that wasn't the issue. The issue was that this lady that put it out on the Internet didn't want it being used by people/organizations and is suing everyone that submitted it to newsletters, etc. that have their websites on the Internet, like my Club. She hired a lawyer and mailed out letters to everyone that had used her little car poem.

She is asking a couple hundred people/organizations for $$ and then she will not take them to court. She is asking our club for $750. It is a long story and was drug out, but at the end, the club ended up paying the malicious broad the $750 so she wouldn't come after me personally.

I just wanted to caution everyone to be careful of what you forward and print!

Vicki

·
Registered
168 Posts
Politely tell her to Kiss your ass, and then tell her that you'll see her in court...
I doubt it would ever see the inside of a courtroom...

Butt (no pun intended) that's just me

David

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
That's horrible. This woman is obviously trying to make money off this and unfortunately appears to have succeeded. I believe this was nothing more than an angle to screw people out of money. It's too bad this happened. Good advice for all I guess.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
That's total BS!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,773 Posts
damn Vicki!
I wish your club could stop payment on that check!
That is nothing but calculated extortion, and given the loose legalities surrounding the Net...I seriously doubt it would have ever made it thru the courts.
Heck....sue her for extortion and threaten to take her to court! LOL

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sounds like someone trying to make a buck......And is making it......Gives forwarding a whole new definition.......BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we have a lawyer in our Club and he said it would be best after going over it and over it to just pay her off. At first she said she would just take the $500 that our President offered her but then she changed her mind. That made our Pres and members mad. When she said she would come after me, as I was the one that submitted to our newsletter, that helped make the decision to just pay the $750.

She must be making a half a mil from all the websites/carclubs on the Internet at $750 a pop! Some of them she is asking a little more...

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
Well I for one hope she gets to her "Just Reward" in Life, ASAP!

Don't you?

Poor dear, has to fight for everything that she knows is hers. People everywhere just stealing her life's work.

What a terrible world she lives in...:doubt:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I just want you all to know everything I ever wrote is copyrighted. :)

How silly. I would have been proud if someone took something I wrote and wanted to copy it for a publication. Did she work for Ford?

·
Premium Member
18,431 Posts
wildman said:
I just want you all to know everything I ever wrote is copyrighted. :)

How silly. I would have been proud if someone took something I wrote and wanted to copy it for a publication. Did she work for Ford?
Team lead in the Legal Departments Copyright and Trademark Infringements Section.:redface: :tongue:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts