Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t spanked, dogged or beat any body in my Bullitt. But I’ve only had two challenges. Man were they fun.
My first, was with a 98 cobra. There I was, visiting family in Georgia. We (my Sister and Brother-in-law) had just finished eating at Carrabbas. I had only had the car for a month at this point and was only driving it part time. I was taking it easy cause I was running on fumes. I was headed north up Barrett Lakes Blvd heading toward Kennesaw State College when I saw a Mustang pulling out Jim Tidwell Ford at a fast rate. There was red light coming up, so I speed up a little and made quick lane change to get behind him. Once behind him I noticed Cobra across his back bumper where mine has Mustang. I really just wanted to see what it was; I had no intention of trying to race him. I noticed he was checking my car out in his side and review mirror. The light turned green, I heard his tires squeal, and, and, something over took me and I and took off after him in hot pursuit! I went thru First, Second, Third then fourth and he was still pulling away from me, but when we got into the curvy part of the road, I started gaining on him. Of course, he could have just been slowing down. Either way I had to slow down myself. I had totally forgot about my passengers! I looked over at my sister (who was riding up front) and she was as white as a sheet, and just about to dig holes into my seats with her fingernails. My brother-in-law had sort of a oh s**t look on his face also. I think the speed limit for this road is like 35 or 45 MPH. I’m sure we were doing at least 80-85 in the curves. Luckily, there was an Amaco gas station right at the end of the road, and give up the chase for my sister’s and brother-in-laws sake and to refuel.

I will admit I was wrong for putting my passengers at risk, with out there permission. It’s one thing to take risk with your on life, but another to put others at risk. From now on, I’ll always ask first!

The next day I was running late, picking up my kids at my Mother-in-laws and meeting my sister and brother-in-law for lunch. So I was headed north up 575 at a high rate of speed. As a past the Woodstock exit in the left lane, I saw a Camaro up ahead in the same lane. As I approached I saw it was a new SS. I had just seen something on TV (I think on Hemmings classic cars) about how bad this car was with its 5.7 vett engine and all that.
It looked really nice. Any ways, he yielded right away for faster moving traffic, (which was me) and moved over into the left lane. Just as I passed him, I heard him down shift and then noticed him about to get along side of me. But traffic up ahead in his lane prevented that, and he slowed to allow me to clear and he jumped right on my ass. I didn’t really think I had a chance, so as soon as I got by the car in the right lane I yielded to him and got over letting him know I wasn’t interested in running him. So he blasted by me. Then I thought, screw it; lets see what he can do. So I down shifted to 4th and jumped on his ass. He got the message, and he apparently nailed it, because he pulled away from me. Traffic slowed us down. We passed the next exit, and I guess we both new that the on ramp to this exit was a long on ramp, crating a temporary third lane. I suspected he would go for it to pass up slower moving traffic and I was right. He cut across the right lane and into the onramp lane with me in pursuit. As he was crossing he was still pulling away from me. At this moment, I remember my brother-law-telling me I could use third up 90 MPH. We at about 70 in traffic but started to pick speed while switching to the far right lane. So, I dropped it down to third and punched it, and started to gain on him. I saw him looking in his side view mirror trying to acquire me at his 8:00 position, some where to his left. I could see this, cause I was right on his ass. I saw him lean back in his seat and check his review mirror. You could tell he was surprised to see me at his six. It was almost the same look as the hit man driving the 68 Charger in Bullitt gave when he suddenly saw Frank Bullitt in his rear view mirror. Any way, we passed the slower moving traffic, I was still keeping up with him. Up ahead, our lane was ending, and there was traffic in the near left lane but a hole was opening all the way to the far left lane. It was a hole that if we missed it, we would have had to fall back to where we started, but if we made it, it was clear for a long ways. So we both had the speed and went for it and made easily. I’m not sure how fast we were going put I was at redline for 3rd, went to fourth, but to no avail he was pulling away and I was at my exit, so again, I had to give up.

Bullitt1024
DHG(stock)
Conway, AR.

Gosh, I didn’t realized how much I had typed…sorry..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt1024 on 2001-10-16 02:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
451 Posts
That was a great story!!! :smile:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
That was some story! I could tell you were really getting into it...the story and the race! :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-10-16 11:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
37 Posts
>At this moment, I remember my brother-law-telling me I could use third up 90 MPH. <

My Bullit does 100 in 3rd. You do know what the red on the tach is for, right? :smile:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-10-16 09:31, Los wrote:
Rock on Dude! That was a bad ass story. :smile:
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh brother.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
“You do know what the red on the tach is for, right? v”

Red on the tack? I’m so confused; :???: oh you’re just way over my head Mr. Andretti :eek:

Perhaps you missed these two lines?
“I had only had the car for a month at this point and was only driving it part time.”
“I’m not sure how fast we were going but I was at redline for 3rd, went to fourth”
That second quote states I was watching the tach for red line.
Since then, I have run it up again, not being in a race I had more time to notice my speed at red line. I red lined at 90 in third. I could have read it wrong, the speed gage is a bit hard to read at a glance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
must have had some work done on it, (COBRA) Cuz I had one for dinner at the track not to long ago, He chaleged me to a run, I said yeah no problem, Boy was he p*ssed when we got our times and i was 6tenths faster than him :smile: I love my car, well he wanted to run again I charmed his cobra :}

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just gave this guy a ride in 1024. I had the highway to my self and was able to pay closer attention to the tach and speed. I red lined 3rd at 100mph.

·
Registered
35 Posts
MY red line in 3rd is 106mph thats just before the rev limiter kicks in.I think all are different depends on driver and break in style.Play with it and see..Thats why we paid for them...Have fun

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
good story! if you have only had yours a month, just wait till you put some miles on it, it starts to sound and run much better!
i also like to race but my wife does her best to keep me in check. :razz:

·
Registered
596 Posts
I figure my wife keeps me alive. If I were single I would have been wrapped around a tree years ago. I love fast cars, if I only had the money to own as many as I wanted. I'd be another Jay Leno. :smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts