Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several posts about how people were getting the GT rebates applied towards their Bullitts I called my dealer and asked why this wasn't the case for me. He claimed that the Bullitt wasn't eligible for GT rebates, so we went back and forth for a couple of minutes until he decides to look it up in the computer...sure enough I have a $1500 check coming to me!!!!!!

Now I have $1500 burning a hole in my pocket. It's money that was supposed to go towards the car so that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm looking to spend it on bolt-on aftermarket goodies that will give me the most bang for my buck. This is what I'm thinking:

1.<format> 3.73 FMS gears</format>(3.27's are way to tall. I'm not concerned about being able to do 140mph, just want to get to 60 A.F.A.P)

2. <format>Bassani X-pipe w/cats</format> (seems like a solid building block. The stock cats seem to be fairly restrictive.)

3. <fomrat>JBA Headers</format> ( Have you seen the manifold logs that Ford puts on these things. I bet this is probably the biggest restriction in the exhaust)

4. <format>Steeda Tri-Ax shifter</format>( the faster you can shift the faster you get to the finish line. The stock shifter is starting to feel a little noodley)

5. <format> 80 mm C&L MAF</format>(Seems logical to free up the breathing if you free up the exhaust)

6. Not a power adder but, <format>Global West Full Length Subframe connectors</format> (I had thes on my old GT conv. and they made the hugest difference! The bolt-on ones that come stock don't cut the mustard)

I know this list comes to more than I have, but it does give an idea of where I am going. I think if I spend wisely I can get half way there or better.

Anyone have any other ideas or can think of something I overlooked?

My goal for now is to get to 300hp and improve the suspension just slightly without destroying the cars uniqueness. Most of what I'm considering can be unbolted in the future if need be.

Eric

·
Registered
50 Posts
In reading most of the posts and from listening to 408, who seems reasonably knowledgeable, I would spend only to the level that you can still afford to get a custom chip burned.And it seems like the best approach is to do a few major mods, get a chip.Advise of a novice, but someone enjoying the post of this great club.

·
Registered
393 Posts
hmm, it seems from reading your post that 1/4 mile performance is a big goal.

All the power in the world is useless unless you can plant it. May I suggest some nitto drag radials on the stock rims, or better yet, some Mickey Thompson ET streets on Weld drag rims.

Cut your 60 ft from 2.1 to 1.8, and you might cut your total ET .6 to .8 seconds. Drag racing is 80% in the 60ft.

just some practical advice and probably the biggest bang for the buck on a drag strip.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd also think about a Cold Air or Forced Air system. I'm considering the Densecharger myself; I believe it's only about $100 for our 4.6L.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is funny because I just finished the same thing. I had 1000-$1500 and here is what I did. This is one of several cars that I have modded and the first one that I was happy with all the mods on. I havn't messed up yet.
1) Gears, my first mod - was almost $600 for everything including speedo calibration and synthetic oil
2) Me too, I went with an o/r pipe because it was cheaper and gave me more power. Spent another $60 having it welded in place after I finished the install
3) Headers, not worth the money! you will spend as much on install as you will on the headers. I've done this twice before and considered it a bad mod for the money.
4)Tri ax - haven't done that yet but will be a mod soon...stock shifter seems pretty good to me. But, I've never used a tri ax.
5) 80 mm maf- maybe my next mod, that or a densecharger. I have a home made ram air in the fog light hole now.
6) sub frames conn. - The bullitt already has them from ford.

Anyway numbers 1 and 2 along with a few other cosmetic upgrades and little things here and there, my money was spent. And I feel well spent.

I had to choose between a Cobra and no money left for mods or a bullitt with $1500 left for mods and money left over each month to play with. Again, I feel I made the right choice.

Good luck

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crimecrusher,

I talked to my buddy who owns APEX Motorsports and he said the exact same thing you did.

His recommendation:

Do the Gears and X-pipe to start. The headers are not worth the money for the gain. (When he does the headers he drops the whole front suspension and labor is outrageous!)

Going to get a baseline Dyno today!

In a couple of weeks I'll do gears and offroad pipe and Dyno again to see what the pipe did.

Thanks fo the real world input!

I know how it is doing mods. It seems like I always have to do them twice to get what I really want.

Eric

BTW- the reason I'm going to do the Global West Subframes is because the factory one's are 3/4 length bolt-in and they just don't cut it. I had GW's put on my 96 GT Convertible and they made the hugest difference. Before I put them in when I jacked the car up I couldn't open the doors because the frame would twist so much. After the install I could jack the car up at any corner and the doors would open with no problem!! Made me a real believer

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BULLITT00208 on 2001-07-20 14:21 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
david, HELL YES you are/were eligible!!(IF you did NOT take the financing option instead of rebate) at that time missouri/st.louis Ford dealers had the option of offering 3 differemt finance rates based on length of contract OR a $1000.00 rebate!
got my Bullitt at McMahon on may 10th also so i should know. where did you get yours?
are you a member of SMMC? send me an email here at work if you get the chance!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Gears: look hard into 410's...

if you want a MAF and a CIA.. get a combination already calibrated.. IE PRO M 87 and WMS.... I am going to put mine on soon that I took off my GT once I get a base line dyno done.. and will post results.

Definetly o/r pipe and MIL's... unless you are getting a chip. I think an H would be your best bet being the catback has baffels. I am going to put my bassani X o/r on next week.. I will let you know how it sounds......

Tri-Ax.. love mine.. it is great.. never miss a shifty and a lot shorter throughs...

headers.. big waste of money.. for cost...

Chip do it last and they will burn it specifically to your modificaions..... look into JMS////

on my 2000GT I had bassani X w/o cats, maganflow cat back, under drive pullies and PRo M 87 and MAC CIA modified to act like a WMS. My last dyno was 264 at the rear wheels......

Good luck

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts