Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, sorry if this topic is discussed somewhere else, but I don't really read these posts until I'm ready for this stuff. I'm going to take 4841 in for her first oil change in early March whether I'm at 3500 miles or not (won't be, just turned over 500 miles) and I want to know the BEST oil to put in. I know I want synthetic, but what do I ask for??

Suggestions?
Thanks,
Dona

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I went with the Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W20 as recommended by the owners manual on the last change. The first couple changes the dealer put in 10W30 and my gas mileage went to hell in a hand basket. Was only getting 14-15MPG. Back to the 5W20, and I'm back up to 16-17MGP again. No real change in driving habits that I can discern...

DHG #0428
Steeda TriAx
100mm Denscharger

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dillo Dave on 2001-12-31 00:13 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Dona,
Some people believe that you should wait till the engine is broken in before switching to a full synthetic. Reason being is the full synthetic will keep the rings from completely seating completely. Several of the synthetic oil manufactures also suggest to only switch after completely breaking in. I went ahead and used the ford 5W-20 untill I hit 6,000.
So the debate may be if at 3,500 is the engine broken in? If I remember some of the members dynos were still increasing slightly after even 3,500 miles.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Dona there are some good posts explaining just what all these numbers mean(5w-30,5-w20,10w-30)you will definetly learn something about oil. As for myself I use Ford Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic, but almost any synthetic will do, everyone will say something different. I think Boboilguy(username)is some kind of expert,search for posts by him. Good luck!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I know my True Blue will have MAYBE 1,000 miles by the time the oil change is due....so, I should NOT go with the synthetic just then??? Oh, I'm so confused....heehee

:grin:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I will stick to oil recommended by my owners manual for any possible future warranty issues. I just had my first oil change at the dealer today. In talking with service adviser he suggested using Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend. If you use other weight oil it may cost you time and money trying to defend your warranty claims. The dealer told my that the car was factory filled with this same synthetic 5W-20 oil. JMO.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4204, How many miles did you have at first oil change??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I had 992 miles on #4204. I bought her on September 29th. I will change the oil myself next time when it gets warmer here in Ohio. I will keep using the 5W-20 Motorcraft synthetic blend (or full synthetic 5W-20 if Motorcraft ever offers it) and Motorcraft filter while in warranty. Once the warranty is up I plan on using full synthetic but will continue using Motorcraft Filters. I'm a stickler for originality.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Dona, make sure you get a 5w20 oil change @ 1000 miles. I believe this is very important. As for synthetic, I also believe an engine is broken in(seated) in the first 15 min. its run. Personaly I will wait until 3500 for my change to Amsoil Synthetic. By the way, Corvettes are shipped right from the factory with synthetic oil already in it. Hope I was some help.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 for the first change at 882 miles. My 2nd change was at 5003, and the oil looked like new. I get 23.5 mpg at 75 mph on 87 octane regular, but I wish the gas tank was bigger so I don't have to fill up so often. My daily commute is just shy of 100 miles.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also switched to Mobil 1 5w30 at my 5,000 mile service, and will keep using it every 5k. It's interesting to hear the differences in gas mileage that we are getting, I've never gotten less than 20mpg out of a tank, it's ranged from 20 to over 24, and my average in almost 10,000 miles is 22mpg. My daily commute is mostly highway, though, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just had my first oil change for the Bullitt yesterday. Brought her in at 4404 miles. Engine oil replaced was the same at 5w20 and had the tires rotated.

Also asked dealer if my warranty would be voided if I replaced the air filter with a K&N air filter and the answer was yes. They gave me a reason but I didn't really listen to the reasoning. Next oil changer per the sticker they stuck on the windshield is at 8,000 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts