Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts about best place to buy a Ford Racing aluminum drive shaft for the B? Checked MRT and did not see any available. In looking around it looks like a fairly expensive item but hate the looks of the existing driveshaft when up on the lift.

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Unless your stock driveshaft has a lot of vibration I wouldn't bother to replace it with and aluminum one. It will look cleaner, but that is about it.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
why not sand the stock shaft and paint it?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Why not sand it and powder coat it?

Depending on how much you sand, you will have to get it re-balanced anyway.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Aluminum did nothing for me but look nice.

·
Registered
453 Posts
A lot of folks on the Mach 1 site like this mod. Some claim smoother shifts, less weight, less vibration, and looks good. I may do one sometime in the future when mod money becomes available.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about the painting or powdercoating but was afraid of the balance issue. The rust on the underside of our cars really bothers me especially the axle. Sounds crazy I know. Just doesn't make sense that part of the underside of our cars is nicely finished and part is a rust bucket.

·
Registered
325 Posts
On my son's B, after we had a new Centerforce clutch installed, and six months later had a TKO500 put in, he had vibration issues. Red line, and high speed. The high speed one was scary, it made the whole care shake. While searching for answers, I took a shot at the aluminum driveshaft. This fixed the high speed vibration. Having Houston Performance replace the (nearly new) Centerforce clutch with a Ram, cured the other vibrations.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
dennisbaker said:
I thought about the painting or powdercoating but was afraid of the balance issue. The rust on the underside of our cars really bothers me especially the axle. Sounds crazy I know. Just doesn't make sense that part of the underside of our cars is nicely finished and part is a rust bucket.
I don't believe that painting would knock it out of balance. You would have to go out of your way to put 25 coats of paint on one side to cause any problems. I would think that the rust would be a bigger issue. Just my $.02:eek:

Bruce

·
Registered
591 Posts
FRPP aluminum driveshaft $229.95 at www.latemodelrestoration.com part number M4602J

I put one on my 5.0 Did it help??? Not enough that I could tell any difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts