Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings all,

I know this is a rather large question, but I'm sure as most of you have travelled during past summers, finding a great eatery isn't often easy when on a road trip. How about sharing the "BEST" restaurants or cafes you have encountered when you have travelled during summer. It can also be an eatery in your specific county or city that you frequent; steak house, Italian, Thai, bbq, etc.....:eek:

For instance: If your travelling in Santa Barbara County, Ca and looking for a great steak, try the Twin Oaks Restaurant in Los Alamos, Ca. They have a great sirloin there and all his steaks are hand trimmed, prepared over an Oak flame and reasonably priced($$).:tongue:

NOTE: Placed this thread in the "Discussion" section, as opposed to the "Chat" section, because during a road trip you are driving your "BULLITTS" of course.....Hungry stomach = Fast Bullitts!!!!!

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
nice idea!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have a favorite steak place when I go to Roswell, called the Cattle Baron Steakhouse IIRC on east side of main street. I like it enough that I go in when I am traveling by myself and endure the stares just to have their chicken fried steak.

If anyone happens to go to the run to Ruidoso Downs car show in the fall you can find me staying in Roswell eating at the Baron. :smile:

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
There is an excellent book called "Road Food". I don`t have it handy but, you can probably find it through Amazon.com.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
For those that have cable or satellite, the Travel Channel has a series of programs labeled "Best Buffet", or "Best Burgers", "Best Pizza"' etc from all over the country. Don't watch this while hungry, you will regret it!!
I found the best places to eat are the small mom & pop places, not the chain style eateries. I ask the locals where do they eat & go from there. Rarely disappointed.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Just look for an "In-N-Out" burger joint.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
STUCKEY'S - 17 miles!

Boy that dated me, and pegged me as a midwesterner for sure! :lol:

Saw those signs painted on barn roofs as my sister and I had the way back seats (facing reverse) during family vaca's in that Dark (Highland almost) Green Pontiac Bonneville station wagon!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
westline inn located three miles deep in the alleghany national forest in WESTLINE pa population 130. Great place good food nice bar with shuffleboard table. If you get there at the right time of night you can watch the bears walking around the back yard quite a site.

Another one and i can't remember the name but a little fish shack / bar in ponte vedra fl great food great atmosphere.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In New Mexico I must mention Los Arcos Steakhouse in T or C (Hotspring). A little pricey but they have much better steaks than most big city steak places! We just got back from Vegas where we experienced the biggest dining dissappointment of our lives at Table 10; one of Emeril Laggasse's newest joints at the Palazzo. We ate at Los Arcos last month and Table 10 was plain old lousy. It was like comparing a 08 Mustang Bullitt to a rusted old Pinto!

For burgers, some of the best in San Antonio, NM; there's a small diner called Owl Cafe and they have some pretty good burgers. Some say the best in the state.

In the old Spanish village where I live there's Rancho De Chimayo a very unique century old hacienda serving local recipes dating back 400 years. It's on the high road to Taos and a very popular place with clientele from as far as New England. It's closed right now due to a kitchen fire but is slated to open in July 09! This place is an unforgetable experience at a bargain of a price. Great cocktails too!:cool:

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
39,321 Posts
If you're ever near Cleveland, don't miss Charlie's "Dog House" (old name). Don't expect "spacious" dining, but if you like HOT DOGS, these are the best on the planet!

Charlie's Restaurant, also known as Charlie's Doghouse Diner or Charlie's Diner, began many years ago as a hotdog stand that looked like a big red dog house. Today its new owners have kept this historic diner wonderfully preserved, and still offer three different sizes of hotdogs -- as well as a full breakfast (they're also known for their malted waffles and a great cup of fresh ground coffee) and lunch menu. Charlie's isn't very large (counter service only -- no individual tables), but because it is so intimate, you won't leave without a few friendly words from the owner, who incidentally is also the chef. If you're ordering "to go," you can fax in your order ahead of time to (216) 661-7500.
Charlies Restaurant, (216) 661-4873, 2102 Brookpark Rd, Cleveland, OH 44134

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
HUNTMAN-USA said:
Greetings all,

I know this is a rather large question, but I'm sure as most of you have travelled during past summers, finding a great eatery isn't often easy when on a road trip. How about sharing the "BEST" restaurants or cafes you have encountered when you have travelled during summer. It can also be an eatery in your specific county or city that you frequent; steak house, Italian, Thai, bbq, etc.....:eek:

For instance: If your travelling in Santa Barbara County, Ca and looking for a great steak, try the Twin Oaks Restaurant in Los Alamos, Ca. They have a great sirloin there and all his steaks are hand trimmed, prepared over an Oak flame and reasonably priced($$).:tongue:

NOTE: Placed this thread in the "Discussion" section, as opposed to the "Chat" section, because during a road trip you are driving your "BULLITTS" of course.....Hungry stomach = Fast Bullitts!!!!!
I think this is a great suggestion for a post. I was thinking about starting a similar post, but focusing on a specific type of food category for each thread, example The Bar Burger, Tex-Mex/Mexican Food, etc. If it not too much trouble or work, can the webmaster (The Other Steve or Mike) or moderators create a separate section or move this post over to the Bullitt Head Bar and Grille forum? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yum Yum

If you're ever south of Lansing, Michigan on I-69, stop at Joe's Gizzard City on W. Main in Potterville. It's a special place for special people. If you're not fond of chicken gizzards, stop anyways and buy a tee shirt!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in L.A.

Rutherford Grill in Napa. Great Ribs, cornbread and chicken

Brophy Bros. Clam Bar & Restaurant, Santa Barbara, Unbelievable seafood

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm a Texan and love Texas BBQ (Goode Co. BBQ in Houston is what I'm talking about), but if you find yourself in Memphis, TN, you've got to stop at the original (not some franchise) Corky's. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Florida - any places in Florida ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts