Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short term way.....Add a supercharger. Short term,because at some point you will fry a piston,or have some maintenance $$ to do to the blower. Long term way....Just swap in a complete '01 Cobra Engine and computer,and blow the tires off happily ever after!

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Actually from what I've been hearing and reading if you clean up the Intake and exhaust path then get a chip custom burned you can get beter than Cobra performance. It'll probably be more expensive than supercharging in the long run but it'll preserve the appearance of the engine and I'm a bigger fan of NA engines than forced induction anyhow.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ditto. Take it from me supercharging isn't always the best option, unfortunately for me I had to learn the hard way. The motor in the Roush leaned out at full boost due to an inadequate tunig chip. So for the Bullitt it's NA all the way.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I totally agree. I am from the old school,carbs and inches,and have never cared for supercharging,or NO2. But I just don't see a big gain from polishing the Bullitt intake. Due to the valve sizing and camming,the engine is done at 5000 RPM,that's what the dynos show anyway. I have looked into the upper plenum,with the throttle body off,and it isn't all that bad in there. There could be some improvement,if you could isolate that manifold from the heat generated thru the heads.That thing get's hot and stays that way for a good while,even when shut down in the pits. I just got a taste of that 32V HP! that's all!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't know what company it is but I know someone makes a heat sheild for the old Cobra intakes on the 5.0L. It's not the most attractive thing. Looks like you have aluminum foil taped around the intake but from what I have read it does the trick. I would assume if you were to cut open the hood under the scoop and make that functional it would help keep it cool. OH....and addressing another issue here. I read a while back someone posted concerns about the KarKraft ram air kit picking up heat. From everything I know, carbon fiber (which is what KarKraft is making the ducting for their kit from)is a WONDERFUL insulator and should keep most of the heat out of the charge of air coming through the ram air but I guess the effect would be somewhat negated when it hits the hot upper plenum and intake runners. Sorry, rambling a bit. Just some things I have been kicking around though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Who is making these custom chips and where do you get them installed. Also, any drawbacks? Any idea of the cost?

·
Registered
310 Posts
All I know is I want more HORSEPOWER!!!!!
I really feel Ford held back on what this motor can do just to keep the cobra boys happy! I would love nothing more than to see my Bullitt blow the doors off a cobra and that darn T/A with the ws6 package I believe
that is the correct number! Anyway I came up against one last night side by side from a standstill. I took him in first and second but after that it was pretty much all over:(
Damn that car can scream. Of course with ramair and 325hp I didnt figure I had much of a chance but it sure was fun trying! OH YEA !!!!!!!! Thanx Havgun! #1676

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Havgunwiltrav on 2001-07-10 14:51 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can tell you,that 32V Cobra engine,would have been a good match for the ChevyBird....they don't make REAL Ponchos anymore:( I am sure there is some more power in the Bullitt setup,but maybe not as hard hitting as the Cobra.

·
Registered
57 Posts
what exactly does “clean up the Intake and exhaust path:” consist of and how much does it cost? What kinda places do this kinda work? How would doing this increase the HP ? I am all for more HP, I drive my car a lot, as in I have 6,000 miles on my in 8weeks, so I don’t want to put any thing like a supercharger on it or any thing, I was thinking of a small NOS kit, about 100 or 150 extra HP. But I emailed NOS tech support for there input and they say they don’t have a kit ready yet. Well thanks for any input I get from all of yall :smile:

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
GT they are talking about the inside of the intake. I haven't seen it for myself yet, but those who have said it is rougher than the outside, affecting airflow. Someone also mentioned that the throttle bodies were also not lined up just right on theirs so that would affect air intake.
mystang99 talkewd with some of the mods racers and Ford techs at an event in St.Louis awhile back and they suggested to only get the intake honed out (smoothed) and maybe get a custom chip for your car, not an off the shelf kind, and you'll be suprised what it will do.
As far as getiing the intake "cleaned out" you can go to any good performance shop or a shop that does work on the engines/machining.
BTY - the racers said to wait until you have over 4,000 miles before you do the intake, so you're good to go on that count! :wink:
Cam

·
Registered
60 Posts
Who is making these custom chips and where do you get them installed. Also, any drawbacks? Any idea of the cost?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Bullet, if it's within your means to do so, take your car to Paul's High Performance in Jackson Michigan for the chip tuning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts