Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid me. Washed the DHG in the sun. It was impossible to towel it fast enough - so, now it's water spot heaven.

I have yet to get any finish protection applied.

Can anyone suggest their best method of water spot removal? A re-wash helped. I know if I move fast that I should be able to correct it. The glass has its share, too.

I was thinking of Zaino and starting with the clay bar. Is that the right idea? I'm also curious about Zaino's glass polish. Has anyone tried it? I'll follow up with the full Zaino trip after these spots are erradicated. I'm actually looking forward to it...

Thanks, in advance. Your suggestions are appreciated.

DHG #2095

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTCOUPE on 2001-09-20 23:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have tried both products. The glass polish works GREAT!!!! It will remove all the spots from glass. Just make sure not to wipe it off the side of the door, it will scratch. I also used the clay bar to get a spot off my hood. I guess it was a piece of metal dust because it spread a rainbow on the hood like gas in a puddle of water. It took the spot out great, but it did not get a few water spots from around the scoop. I tried 2 or 3 times. So I just gave up and waxed the hood again. I love the wax by the way.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the paint on my Bullitt sealed with a Teflon based product. The finish is slick as glass and doesn't need to be waxed. I use the Rain-X car wash. Follow instructions and the effort to dry the car is minimal. Water spots are almost nonexistent if you get the water that collects in all the nooks and crannys. I use a California duster between washings and the Eagle One Wet Wipe & Shine for minor dirt that the duster doesn't suck up. I also use the Eagle One wheel cleaner and tire gel.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
01GTCOUPE,

Whenever I wash any of my cars I have always dried them off with a wet leather chamois rag.

Just have a bucket of clean water with you, soak the chamois in the water, wring it out, wipe a section of the car off and rinse the chamois in the clean water and repeat the process until the whole car is dry and spot free.

You can buy one at any auto parts store. They come in various sizes. I'd get one that cost about $13.00. That size should do you fine. They last about 8 months.

Works like a charm.

Bullitt220

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bullitt220 on 2001-09-21 10:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm a big Zaino fan, and I'm battling water spots from it's first washing. I don't want to bore you with the details of the steps involved with applying the Zaino system, but sufice to say that I'm using Rubbing Alcohol to remove the stubborn water stops - I just have a few, so I'm "spot" removing them :wink:

I've been able to minimize the water spotting by washing/rinsing my cars with soft water - I've got an exterior faucet hooked up to my interior water system, which in turn is hooked up to a water softener.

Have Fun,
Randy R...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am a big fan of the RAIN X car wash. I follow instructions, but it may still leave a few drops, just dry those off wtih a chamois and you are spot free with minimal time spent. It's a great product.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The only way I know of to get rid of the REALLY bad spots is to use a clay bar. I had the WORST spots ever humanly witnessed I think, and it took me roughly an hour with the clay bar to get the spots off the hood alone. Took 3-4 clay bar-ings, but they came out. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Zaino clay bar though, a Mothers or Meguires is easier to come by, and will work just the same. Just be sure to wax it afterwards with whatever product you use, and now you KNOW why you never wash the car in the sun. Especially DHG, that color seems to get even hotter than black, and show just as much dirt.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
To be honest. A wet rag and a little effort will take off the spots. As will a simple glass cleaner and a chamois. Or you can get a decent cleaner-wax to remove the spots.
Also.. consider getting the "Water Blade".
This thing is great.
Water Blade
It's a very soft silicon blade that you basically squeegee your car off with. It will completely remove water from any flat surface. You then just towel off the rest. I highly recommend this to anyone who can get it. My neighbor intoduced me to it and it's fabulous.
No more water spots. :smile:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I MESSED UP TOO! I'VE GOT A BLACK BEAUTY WITH WHAT LOOKS TO BE ACNE NOW. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW DO YOU USE A CLAY BAR. IT APPEARS MY WATER SPOTS ARE UNDER THE WAX AND THEY WON'T COME OUT?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Another vote on the clay bar. Go feel your paint surface, hand in a sandwich bag. Feel the grit you're gonna wax over? Try the clay bar, it removes all the embedded contaminates and water spots, Then wax the Bullitt!

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I have a water blade as well. An absolutely great way to remove water from your car in a very short amount of time. I also use a chamois right behind the blade to really get rid of water spots. It is called the California Water Blade and is made from surgical grade silicone and is absolutely safe for the paint if used as directed. Got mine at Pep Boys.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Its a graphic that the guy who did my tint came up with. I provided hime with the numbers off of my computer and he came up with the bullet design. Check out the windshield eybrow.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I washed mine in the sun this summer, thinking I was quick enough to beat the spots. WRONG! I even posted here about it at the time. As a side note, I've seen various vinegar suggestions online ranging from straight to various dilution ratios. I didn't try these, though.

I usually garage my car, but there have been a handful of nights that I have not. One of those nights, 2 days after that fateful wash, my car got rained on thoroughly for a couple of hours. To my surprise I went out the next morning and voila!, no water spots. I kid you not. Most noticable was the windshield. My windshield had been so spotted, it looked like mosaic from the inside. I couldn't believe when I got in it and it was clear as a bell. I had spent ALOT of time on the windshield the day before to get the spots out, so this really amazed me.

Of course, I feel I got lucky here, and you may not be able to count on the same results depending on the atmosphere in your locale.

Joe

·
Registered
451 Posts
And I'll be ordering a water blade soon. Looks good!

Joe

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just ordered a water blade. Looks like a great tool. Thanks for the link, Blakwing.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I've been using a Water Blade and high grade bath towels to dry good ol' 2759 since it was new. They've worked great together. The paint is still swirl and scratch free.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I've heard vinegar and water mix can be used to get any water spots left after you dry the car. I haven't tried it.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
DHG-1934,
I look forward to rain around here (central Florida) just because of the reason you stated, it leaves the car absolutely spot free, so long as you don't drive it when the roads are wet. In fact, it just got done dropping at least an inch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts