Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the steering shaft routed thru the driver's side header tubes? The first tube is a removable slip joint,but that doesn't help where the shaft goes. The second tube bows outward,giving you the idea that the shaft would slide thru the loop of the header tubes,but the size of the rag joint won't allow that.
Of course no install notes or instructions come with these "easy" to install headers. Bolt access is great though.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Header install put on hold!!
I was going to install the O2 sensor extension harness,but find that the connector end,which plugs into the end of the original cable, has the locating tabs clocked differently.
A phone call will be going out Monday! So what happened to all the best header quality,ease of install, I paid BIG bucks for? These are the kind of things that really **** me. Everything else has been really easy at this point with the K-member removal.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I think you may have to snip the tabs. Make sure, but the locking clips will not allow it to be installed incorrectly. Those tabs you are talking about just happen to be in the wrong location. I worked with something recently, though I can't remember what it was, that was just like this. I think it was even a Ford part that had superseded another Ford part.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Not to sound mean, but this is the reason I bought my bullitt. NOT to modify it to much. I put long tubes on my 5.0, WHAT A PITA. Good luck with your install, And I know you will like them because I loved them on my old ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got a concern in the same neighborhood. i have been holding off on my clutch job trying to decide if i want to tackle it in my driveway, or pay a shop to do it. ive done the job on my 97'but.. it didnt have long tubes on it, and i dont believe my tranny will drop between them. i believe i would have to unbolt at least on side.any body been here?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding the O2 extensions,it appears they trimmed them off on the end that plugs into the upper harness,so I will do the same on the other end.
Just trial fitted the passenger side header,and all seems to fit well,will have to put some high temp wrap on the starter cable,as a safety measure.
However,I tried again to figure out how that steering shaft will fit,and no progress there. If they would had just put a note or a picture of that area in the box,it would have been very helpfull. With K-member out,you don't even have to remove the starter to get the header in.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The steering shaft has to be removed and slid through the header, you are correct that the tabs just need trimed off.....PS: not sure on the 2V but have you check the dipstick tube......now thats a treat........

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DaHos said:
The steering shaft has to be removed and slid through the header, you are correct that the tabs just need trimed off.....PS: not sure on the 2V but have you check the dipstick tube......now thats a treat........
I have the shaft disconnected from the steering rack. Are you saying you have to completely remove it from the steering wheel shaft also? I looked at that but see no disconnect point.

·
Registered
506 Posts
in the cabin under the dash is a set screw that will allow the shaft to compress and slide out the bottom.

·
Registered
506 Posts
also if you take the two bolts out of the bearing cup at the firewall it will give ya a bit more wiggle room..

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed the set screw/lock bolt,inside the car,and sure enough the shaft slides right out! Many thanks DaHos!! The IMBOC gang always has an answer....somewhere!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts