Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten some of the Satin Finish parts from MGW LTD (A/C knobs, Headlight Knob and E-Brake handle)and I'm really happy with the quality and look of them. A friend of mine told me about http://www.uprproducts.com/index.asp and they have some Billet Accessories for Stangs.
Here are a couple of pics for the parts that I think would look great in the Bullitt. I'm just not sure if they would match with what I already have gotten from MGW.

If anyone has already gotten any of these, I would like to know how they like them.

JD
DHG 0327

·
Registered
209 Posts
I also have the MGW knobs and e-brake cover and was thinking about those additions. Then I saw them on another car at the Mustang/Woodard Cruise (in MI) last weekend. They don't match :sad: Can George at MGW reproduce these to match the other Satin parts?

·
Registered
66 Posts
my thoughts on these...

we had made some prototypes of the window switches awhile ago and i really did not care for them . i thought they really cluttered up the door panel and was "overkill".

sorry just my personal opinion.

concerning the cruise control switches lets just say there is no way i am putting metal buttons on my steering wheel that close to the airbag or where my head may come in contact with in a head on collision :sad:

ouch!!!

george

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-23 09:49, MGWLTD wrote:
my thoughts on these...

concerning the cruise control switches lets just say there is no way i am putting metal buttons on my steering wheel that close to the airbag or where my head may come in contact with in a head on collision :sad:

ouch!!!

george

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

They do look kinda pointy, don't they?! It's all fun and mods 'til someone looses an eye.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts on this topic, if it's not too late to add them.

I have all the satin finish bits from MGW, and they are great -- very well made. I also have the window/doorlock controls, cruise control buttons and rear hangers from UPR.

First, the finishes do not match; the UPR products are brighter and have a more "machined" look to them (and, not to butter up to George, but I do not think the UPR products are of the same quality as the MGW products). That said, in my opinion the difference in appearance is not so great as to create a reason to avoid installing both. Actually, I think the difference looks good. Remember, the satin finish on the MGW products does not precisely match the factory bits like the shift knob and the boot ring. For that matter, not even all the factory bits match -- the pedals are brigter than the shift knob, etc.

Personally, I like the look of the door switches and, especially, the cruise control buttons. The wheel looks really excellent with the metal on each side of the airbag, particularly if you thicken the wheel by adding another layer of leather (I put a stitched black leather wrap over the stock wheel -- looks great and is more comfortable). These mods are not for everyone, but I like them.

To George's comments about metal bits so close to the airbag: As a consumer, I respect and appreciate George's concerns (it's always nice to see manufacturers thinking about safety). As a lawyer, I think those concerns are probably wise and appropriate. As a guy who likes the look of cool metal bits in his retro-styled Bullitt...well, that's what won out.

Although I'm not an engineer, my review of the placement of the buttons compared to the airbag convinced me that the buttons would not interfere with the airbag deployment. The metal buttons are exactly the same size and shape as the factory plastic bits, and sit up no higher. They also latch on to the underlying braces very tightly (tighter, in fact, than the factory pieces; I think I would have a tough time getting them off at this point). The back of the airbag cover sits a good 1/8-1/4 inch above the buttons. Since the airbag explodes outward (or upward, if you think of it that way), I can't see how airbag deployment could dislodge the buttons. As far as hitting them with your head in a collision that did not activate the airbag, I suppose it could happen, but it would take a very strange force to cause your head to hit the buttons and not the wheel rim or (most likely) the airbag cover itself, since (viewing the wheel as a plane) the buttons are effectively recessed below both parts of the wheel. All in all, I figure if I'm in a crash of sufficient violence to dislodge the cruise control buttons from the steering wheel, the fact that those buttons are metal rather than plastic is likely to be among the least of my worries.

Of course, if anyone has information about people being injured by metal cruise control buttons in late model Mustangs, I'd love to hear about it. I like the things, but I'd take them out if I was convinced they posed a safety threat. Barring that, I think people should decide on this mod based on whether they like the look of the buttons. I do, so I put them on.

Just my $.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts