Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running Bilstein shocks and struts? I have Eibach Pro Kit springs and I want to upgrade my shocks and struts. I drag race and road race once a year, most of my miles are on the street. Thanks

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I agree. One of the best dampers around. Far superior to the stock Tokicos IMO in both ride quality and performance. They will also handle the increased rate of lowering springs better than the stockers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am running the bilsteins with the pro kit springs and love them. The ride and handling are both great.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Bilstein shocks & struts good stuff over stock Tokico's, a must IMO with aftermarket springs...

·
Registered
30 Posts
resurrecting an old thread this Christmas Eve :)

since the shocks in my 19 yr old Mustang look original I am thinking of replacing them to freshen the ride a bit.

Has anyone replaced the stock tokicos with bilstein HD’s all around and kept the stock springs? I am wondering if the ride is same or more comfortable? I’m not interested in a harsher ride and would rather get stock GT’s shocks to help the ride.

Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
For my money I'd go with adjustable shocks. The Bilsteins are good, but ride firm. Koni yellows are a good one way adjustable shock, so you can soften the ride. For all round hard use I'd go with the FP two way adjustable shocks, pricy but very good. Don't know if they are available for 01?

·
Car Whisperer
20,995 Posts
can't go wrong with Bilsteins. the best.

Reactions: holson

·
Registered
357 Posts
3250 has been Bilstein equipped for the past 10 years.
Great quality and a firm ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks folks. I figured that the Bilsteins do ride firm - I remember the discussions from my old Benz days. the bilstein HDs were favored for those who like the firmer ride.

I might just stick with the factory Tokicos if I can still find them or stock GT shocks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I first got my Bullitt back in 2009, the first thing I did was replace a leaking pair of Tokicos on the rear axle. In less than a year and maybe 500 miles later, one of the replacements was leaking again.

At that time, everything Tokico was removed and replaced with Bilstein.

Based on my experience with Tokico, I would not waste my money replacing a factory Tokico shock with another factory shock.

YMMV and I am sure others have had better luck with other than stock Tokico products!

One other thing to consider is that shock absorbers are only part of the suspension system. While the stock Bullitt suspension is stiffer than a stock GT, tires play a big role in suspension feel. Going plus one on tire sizing decreases the sidewall height which will increase the firmness of your ride. Tire type will also come into play. On 3250, I am running 18 inch wheels and summer only performance tires. Add these along with my Bilstein shocks and I know the ride will be firmer. I also find that as I get some heat into my tires, the ride smooths out but it is definitely not the smooth ride of a Lincoln!

Good luck with you decision!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks @39Tudor ! I am keeping the stock 17” wheel size though I may swap out the goodyear all seasons with Michelin PS4 Summer tires. you brought up a good point that an 01 Mustang will never ride as good as a Lincoln!

I just looked for the original shocks and the rear shocks are available but the front struts aren’t. I think instead of hunting for NOS decade old parts I think the Bilstein HDs make the most sense for these classic cars. Do you all replace the quad shocks while at it or just the struts and rear shocks? I see that American muscle has a set w/ the quad shocks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got all four shocks plus the rear axle quad shocks replaced. I actually did not realize that the Bullitt was slightly bouncy prior. It’s definitely a more ’controlled‘ ride with the new shocks. The ride is still firm. I imagine it’s a function of the suspension design and stiffer springs but it’s just more composed

thanks for all the advice!

one of the front struts was leaking but the Chevy dealership kept the original Tokicos for me - wonder if there’s value or if I should just toss them out....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Best place for those old shocks is in the recycle bin!
Enjoy the new ride!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts