Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Group....

So there has been a lot of talk and several threads lately on the subject of catch cans, or oil separators and the S197. I had subscribed to many of those threads with the intent of installing one as well, but I was a bit put off at the cost some of these units were going for. I want to thank CharlieHorse for posting the link to BKU Motorsport on EBay. I ended up purchasing their unit, at the bargain price of 45 bucks delivered, with a drain valve. Trust me, this is a bargain for a very solid unit.

I spoke with Brett at BKU prior to purchase, and also received an unsolicited call from him about a week later, talking about the location I had chosen for install. This guy knows his stuff, and excels at customer service. As it turns out, my original location just was not going to work, but I did have an alternative in mind, and ended up using it....Anyway.....

This is what is included with the BKU unit. The unit ships WITHOUT hoses. After thinking about that, and talking with Brett, it makes perfect sense that it does not include the hoses. For starters, everyone has different ideas about where to mount the unit, which of course will change the amount of hose you need. Secondly, the hose is so cheap to buy at any auto parts store, it would probably cost more to ship hose, than it does to run down to the store and buy it.....

This will give you and idea of the overall size of this unit...

My original intent was to mount the unit on the strut tower, but I should have looked a bit closer at the available room first, especially with the aftermarket Vortech air intake on the 05...No room.....

As you can see in the earlier pic, the bracket Brett set me up with was made for a side mount, as I intended. So, since I switched mounting locations, I modded the mod as it were, to a straight bracket....Nothing the 16 oz. hammer can't fix...

So I settled on the remote firewall mount location...

I simply slid the sheet metal bracket between the plastic cowl, and the metal frame...

I then marked my location for drilling, to install a couple of half inch number 8 stainless steel screws...

After drilling all the way thru the mount point, I removed the bracket...

I then bored out the two drilled holes, since I wanted the screws to pass thru this bracket, and secure to the frame...The angle you see on the bracket is done purposely, due to the curvature of the firewall..

And this is what it looks like after installing....

After test mounting, I took the unit and bracket back off, and hit it with a quick coat of glossy rattle can....

And this, my friends, is what you are trying to avoid.....

Now, while the paint is drying, this is a very opportune time to clean both your MAF Sensor, and your throttle body. This should be part of your normal maint. routine, just like oil changes. Make sure you use the proper cleaner, i.e. throttle body cleaner, and MAF cleaner, and NOT brake cleaner.....Anyway......

Once the cleaning is done, and the paint is dry, this is what it looks like re-installed...

As shown here, I already had an inline PCV valve in place, due to the Vortech blower install. If you have this, Brett suggested keeping it with a forced induction application, but also suggested pulling it out, and cleaning it good, with the throttle body cleaner you used above....

This is with the first line hooked up to the separator....

Now, as I noted earlier, I originally intended to do a strut tower mount, which is why Brett installed an angled input on one side, and a straight output on the other. However, since I swapped mounting locations, I used the 90 degree elbow that was included with the kit, on the output side. Eventually, I will pull this in favor of a direct threaded 90, but for now, it is just fine....

Next, the only thing left is re-connecting the line from the output of the oil separator, back to the intake input...

AND, THE FINISHED PRODUCT......

This is a great budget friendly mod for those that are considering installing the Oil Separator. As I said earlier, BKU Motorsport was a great group to deal with, and Brett at BKU is a great guy, that runs a class operation. These separators, as noted in Charlie Horses earlier posts, are bench tested to a specific flow rate for the S197. I highly doubt the others that are available can honestly say that...

Mike and Karen

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sweet Thread! Thanks!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Mike,

Man a 1st Class step by step Thread on adding the Oil Separator to the S197 Mustang.

Nice job and it turned out just like I would think with you handling

the install :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
As Usual Another Great Write Up. Thank You John

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate it.....

Terry, on that other deal, I heard back from the guy, said someone is talking to him about it at 250....I told him thanks......

We shall see if I hear back from him again...I will let you know....

Mike

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Nice right up!!I put one on my '03 GT,and it's amazing on how much oil that little sucker catches!!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loop said:
Great job Mike!

Is the drain plug hand tight or do you need a wrench?
Finger tight only....no wrenching......:smile: :smile:

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Ordered one from Brett at BKU yesterday coming next week. Nice write up Mike did you use tranny hose?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
first ford said:
Ordered one from Brett at BKU yesterday coming next week. Nice write up Mike did you use tranny hose?
Indeed I did....I think it was a total of like 6 bucks for 4 feet of hose......:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Hey Mike - GREAT write up!!

Finally got the bolts & nuts & washers, and the Separator bracket primed & painted. I went with the install on the back of the Bullitt CAI. It fits nicely in that pocket. I got the petcock too so it will be easy to drain. Stinkin' tranny hose here was $12 for 3'. The final install looks pretty stock. BKU rocks!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Charliehorse, Did you put a pcv valve in the line? I like that install .Mine should be here tomorrow gonna size up a couple options but think I will put it where you did.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
first ford said:
Charliehorse, Did you put a pcv valve in the line? I like that install .Mine should be here tomorrow gonna size up a couple options but think I will put it where you did.
No I didn't install a PCV.
Brett at BKU didn't think it was necessary on a N/A. He said since the hose from the cam cover has to rise to meet the Separator, that other than strong crankcase pressure (such as from a SC), that should help minimize any excess oil collection. And since he makes such a point about cfm specs, I didn't want to restrict the flow of his bench tested fittings.
I cut the hoses a bit longer than necessary so there is an arc in both lines. If there seems to be too much oil collecting, I can always try a PCV, but I would be sure and get one that is as free flowing as his Delrin fittings. Just my hunch.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Charlie, I really like that install. I wanted to stay parallel with the factory hoses as well, but the darn intake for the blower kept me from doing so....It looks good.....nice work and thanks again for the pointer to BKU. Class operation....

Rick,
In speaking with Brett over at BKU, he only suggested keeping the pcv valve since I am running a forced air setup. If you don't have one laying around, I don't think I would worry on it.....

Mike

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
GOT OATZ said:
Charlie, I really like that install. I wanted to stay parallel with the factory hoses as well, but the darn intake for the blower kept me from doing so....It looks good.....nice work and thanks again for the pointer to BKU. Class operation....

Mike
That's because I'm being trained by Mustang/Bullitt experts like You! :wink:

I like how Brett tweaks each setup for each application. He doesn't just pull some parts off the shelf and throw them in a box to ship. It might seem small, but notice how he has the intake elbow set differently for each of our applications. You can also tell by the detailed conversation when you call him. He listened to each of us. For $29 (plus $4 for the petcock)... geez... what a deal for clean engine insurance!

I guarantee, if Clearwater FL was within smelling distance of me, BKU would be the first race shop I'd interview for any involved mods on a 4.6L 3V!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Mike ,Have which laying around a vortech or a pcv valve? LOL.Gonna do my MGW install tomorrow if I get good weather.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
first ford said:
Mike ,Have which laying around a vortech or a pcv valve? LOL.Gonna do my MGW install tomorrow if I get good weather.
:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: The vortech, of course.....LOL.....

If you run into any snags on the MGW, shoot me a quick PM, I will monitor from work tomorrow.....from behind the NannyWeb.....

Charlie,
Thanks for the compliment, and I could not agree more about BKU....class outfit....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts