Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did (does) anybody here drive a black Trans Am while wearing parachute pants?

Either now or during the 1980's?

Just wondering! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

:py1:

For the record, I drove a white Camaro while wearing parachute pants. (early 1980's)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I had a 1977 Trans Am TA 6.6 (the Pontiac engine), Black with Gold striping and modified by Hurst.

The pic below is what it looked like but its not mine. Back in '77, this was a head turner car.

But no parachute pants! :wink:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool.

Isn't the "Smokey and the Bandit" TA a '77?

EDIT: After some seaching, looks like that TA was a '78.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
No Camaro, no Trans Am, and no parachute pants!

I had a 1979 Yamaha XS 750, which was painted black-gold metallic and gold stripes like the T/A above. And a 1974 F-100 XLT with duals, grill brush guard, a 390 4 bbl. and C6 tranny. Went like heck, but couldn't corner worth anything... :lol:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
no camaro,t/a, or parachute pants here either. I was actually too young to drive in the 80's, but have had a few vehicles from the 70's.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I loved Trans Ams and Z-28s but I NEVER wore no freakin' parachute pants ... (ROFLMAO)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Back in those days, I was more into motorcycles. I had an '80 KZ 1000 that I bought new. I kept it till '87. It was black with gold pinstripes, though. Really nice looking (and running) bike. I had acid washed jeans then. :lol:

·
Registered
453 Posts
SmokinBullitt said:
I had a 1977 Trans Am TA 6.6 (the Pontiac engine), Black with Gold striping and modified by Hurst.

The pic below is what it looked like but its not mine. Back in '77, this was a head turner car.

Still is a head turner car!!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I can honestly say I never wore parachute pants. But I did have a friend with a 79 black T/A.

Now that I think about it, I think everyone either owned, or had a friend with a black T/A.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
01GTB said:
I can honestly say I never wore parachute pants. But I did have a friend with a 79 black T/A.

Now that I think about it, I think everyone either owned, or had a friend with a black T/A.
I know what you mean. Although Burt R. would have to be counted as one of my friends to qualify. I did have a couple guys at work that owned Z28s. Do they interchange? :smile:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Negatory on the parachute pants but I did own both of the cars below....

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I always liked the Z/28 more than the T/A, likely because everyone was so into the T/A that I wanted to different.

Anyone remember the 1980 Ultra Z? http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/history/concept/index.asp?decade_start=1980 I remember being so excited when I read about it in a car mag, only to find out they had taken advantage of my 10 y/o mind by saying at the end that it was merely a prototype :D

I used to make my Dad drive up to the local Chevrolet dealership so I could just look at the same Z's over and over again. This was a really small dealer, but they always had a few in stock. They even got in a Bill Mitchell Hugger Z/28. In 1980 there were only about 90 of these made.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I didn't have any parachute pants...

But I did have a 74 Firebird - Poncho 350 w/ Saginaw 3Spd.

Loved that car!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
SmokinBullitt said:

I had a '78 exact same. Regular pants though. That was a nice car.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
kaylan1521 said:
I Had a 79 Trans Am with the 6.6 but no parachute pants
6.6 Liter or the T/A 6.6?

The 6.6 Liter had the Oldsmobile engine (402ci, 180hp) while the T/A 6.6 (400ci, 200hp) had the Pontiac Engine.

Those latter years in the 70's saw the demise of the big block, big HP engines from all of the manufacturers. From '70 to '76 the T/A HP went from 400+ down to 180. You could buy a 455ci in '76 and '77 that only put out 210hp. It marked the end of the muscle cars. :sad:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts