Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Far from being a transmission/engine professional, I've wanted to know from other Bullittheads that have supercharged their Bullitts how they have compensated for the extra torque generated on the TR-3650. Do you have to modify the tranny in some fashion to handle the extra power so you don't blow it out or can it handle the power without modifications? Also, what about the warranty coverage if it blows up??

"The TREMEC TR-3650 is a 5-speed manual transmission for longitudinal engine automobiles. It includes a 5th gear that functions as an overdrive gear, light-weight aluminum housings, a synchromesh reverse gear, and synchromeshed helical cut forward gears. It is manufactured by Transmission Technologies Corporation and is rated for 360 ft·lbf (490 N·m) of torque. The loss in power transmission efficiency is rated at approximately 16% in 4th gear for a 2005-present Ford Mustang GT."

Just curious....

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
nice sig pic. fight on sc!

as far as the 3650, i had one go out in my 01. i think the issues have been fixed with them but adding a supercharger is not going to prolong the life of it. i'd bet the clutch would go first though.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
My car has been supercharged for 70,000ish miles and still has the stock clutch and transmission.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
54deuce said:
It depends on how you treat it.
maybe on a stock car or one that does not see boost. a saleen or whipple on an 08 that is actually using the boost is going to (in most cases) destroy a clutch! i don't think this trans/clutch was designed for 450+ rwhp/rwtq

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
It'll do fine with a blower; the clutch however... will not. After February 13th (when I get my car tuned and dyno'd)I'll post a video of a guy's '09 MGT that has a beastly turbo on it. He's at around 718 HP and is using the stock tranny and clutch. The clutch went out after 4,600 miles. He should've known better. There are TONS of FI guys over on other Mustang forums running blowers with the stock tranny (modified clutches of course).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
bullitt890 said:
maybe on a stock car or one that does not see boost. a saleen or whipple on an 08 that is actually using the boost is going to (in most cases) destroy a clutch! i don't think this trans/clutch was designed for 450+ rwhp/rwtq

I was talking about the trans. I assumed he was going to put a better clutch in.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Did any of you guys read my post from first hand experience?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
As far as warrenty goes, I guess it depends if the Joe doing the work at the dealer opens the hood or not!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No worries about the new trannies, they're tough! both in manual and auto form!

The clutch however, will need to be replaced sooner or later, but it depends on how you drive it.

I'm looking forward to the new dual disc clutches and lightweight flywheels available when mine decides to go!

Each broken part is just another opportunity to make it something better! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.