Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at a classic car show this past weekend, someone asked me if my car had stainless steel brake hoses. I checked and it didn't. He said that he'd heard the rubber ones can blow/leak under race-like conditions. Someone else told me there was a fatality at Sumit Point raceway recently. A guy in a Cobra apparently blew a brake line heading into turn one (at about 140). Since I'll be at Sumit Point this Friday (yes!) for the first time in my Bullitt, has anyone else experienced or heard of this brake hose issue?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know about the Cobra fatality, but there was a biker killed at the track the weekend of the 13th. My buddy and I were at the track that day. My bud was racing in the second race and (I don't know the persons name) the rider went down on the first lap of the first race. He came off of turn ten and got a tank slapper, couldn't recover and shot straight into the wall. There was a car race that morning also, so I don't know if stories got confused or mixed together. Either way it was a sad way to start the day. Be careful out there.

DHG #3272
99 Honda VFR interceptor

"Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."- B. Banzai

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CoolerKing on 2001-10-22 11:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
It is a problem with aftermarket pads which get a lot hotter than stock. The heat melted the lines and caused a failure. Some really bad.

There was a fix but I'd expect the newer Mustangs to have it already.

Should you be concerned?
If you are running race tires and aftermarket pads, then yes. Otherwise, I doubt you'll be making enough speed to melt the brakes.

·
Registered
959 Posts
As I understand, there have been numerous failuers of front brake lines on Mustangs used in High speed driving schools and track days. It is highly recommended that you upgrade the front to stainless if you plan to do this. You can get them from many different vendors and they are cheap insurance. I got mine from Maximum Motorsports.

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts