Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this happened early this week.
My clutch was slipping a lil...suddenly boom! Smoke everywhere. Tranny is completely destroyed(Actually broke the flywheel in half!)
Have a new 3650 on the way with a new MGW shifter, Spec stage 2 and a steel flywheel.
I just love wasting money! Yay for the evil bullitt that costs me tons of money and gives me very little back.....i'm seriously this close to selling it and buying a corvette or a cobra....if anyone is seriously interested in buying a bullitt lmk...at this point everything on that car has been upgraded and made solid so if you wanna buy a bullitt it's prolly the way to go. I have boltons, buitl rear, full suspension, new tranny thats beefed up and some good bodywerk etc. It's a wonderful car it's just that i'm sick of everything breaking and pouring buckets of money into a car that i can't get to go faster than 13.8 in the 1/4 mile. Sorry for getting way off topic.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Sorry you have bad luick with your car. Most of us have had very few problems. Strange your flywheel actually broke. We have guys here putting over 500 HP on the stock clutch and flywheel that haven't had those problems.... :confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't get me wrong i love my bullitt with a passion, but things keep going out, but i think at this point not too much more could break unless the engine goes because i've fortified and replaced like everything @ this point. It's just getting to me the fact that i spent every dollar i earned and sacrificed for in high school and i'm not getting results from my baby. It's a fun car, but i have ceased to consider it fast.....its sad that i regularly get ACTUAL competition from imports and that any schmoe with a stock craparo can beat mine. I can't afford a supercharger or nitrous either because im in college (UT)and any money i did have is totally gone now that the tranny is gone. Yeah it actually cracked the tranny housing! Pretty intense stuff. I was only going like 55 on cruise control when it happened too!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sounds like the tranny had no oil in it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the tranny has been filled more than often enough with royal purple....so not the case.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've already checked its only the tranny. My mods are....i hope i dnr forget anything.
mac prochamber offroad, flowmaster 50's, mgw shifter, 4.10 gears, eaton ls diff., moser 31 spline axles, max motorsports lca's, steeda x2 balljoint kit, tockicko adjustable shocks/struts, steeda sport springs, max mtrsprts caster camber plates, sct xcal 2, MSD coilpacks, MRT CAI, Steeda UDP's, steeda upper control arms, k&n filter, mm full length subframe connectors, steeda bumpsteer kit....the new tranny will have a spec stage 2 clutch spec steel flywheel and probably i will get an aluminum driveshaft also. I have a bunch of visuals too btu it would be a whole nother paragraph. Those are the performance mods that i have...i might be forgetting something else thats insignificant. I also have dr's but i dont think that counts. Dammit....i got off topic again.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Only thing I can think of that you are forgetting is that you should be buying a Centerforce Clutch and Flywheel. They support us and we should support them. Their's is better than others anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Absinth,

One of the issues that we see with the factory flywheel is that it is a GRAY Iron flywheel. Gray Iron can get brittle when they are overheated (Slipping Clutch) and break. Just ask Don Garlits about Gray Iron flywheels he lost half of his foot in his dragster when the flywheel let go. Anyway I just wanted to get on here and give you some sort of reason why the flywheel broke you don’t here of flywheel explosions that often. Good to see you are going with a Steel Flywheel make sure the Pressure plate is not Gray Iron though? Glad to see no one was hurt hope you get everything back up and running with no problems.

Best Regards,

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If I were you I would rethink the Spec 2 clutch you are getting.

I am running one currently and I don't like it. It chatters too much. I MUCH preferred the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch I had in there before.

I say try and drive a car with each and see what you like better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts