1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
898 Posts
You may know this, but its mostly not recommended to use a harness on the street. The harness doesn't break away in stages like a normal seatbelt. The other thing with the roll bar/cage is that depending how its oriented you would need a helmet any time you drive or risking hitting your head on it in a crash.

I have driven a car though during autocross (mini cooper) with a harness and it was really nice how it perfectly held me in the seat while cornering.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking at AP roll bar because it has removable/detachable harness bar and cross bar. No door bars. Since this car is not a race car, I just need harness to lock me into the stock seat in the canyon. I will not be using the harness, harness bar or the cross bar on the street.

Roll Bars & Cages I am looking at the 4th one down.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
I've built a lot of race cars over the years. I like "Autopower's" street roll bar with removable harness bar. They are out of California and come with hardware and are painted. Good pricing, and aside from cutting trim on rear wheel wells, not too hard to install. (no welding) Buy padding for bar to protect your head. Harnesses not good for the street unless 6pt mounting, even then they don't give way as mentioned. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
For my road course tracking with the 08 BLLTT, I have installed the Watson 4 point roll bar, with the harness bar, cross brace and shoulder harness brackets.
The harness is the Schroth 2" 6 point cam lock. The harness angles are correct, with the shoulder harnesses going thru inside the posts of the head restaint, which I flip around to accommodate the helmet. The 2" lap belt is very snug on the hips, connected to quick connects to CoolTech eye bolts (no longer made) at the front seat rear mount bolts. The 2 sub belts thread between the seat bottom and back, to eye bolts, with backing plates under the body. Quick clip in with cotter pins to prevent disconnect. I also use a Schroth Flexi hans device, very comfortable. Also all areas of roll bar and braces potential helmet contact have zip tied certified padding
The unintended consequences of vehicle modification is the rear seat is no longer useable due to roll bar. I put the Ford Racing back seat delete kit with the X brace in. Back seat is now good just for luggage. Also a halon fire bottle on the cross brace behind the passenger seat.
And I machined the former rear seat belt clip in's to fit the OEM front receivers, to eliminate the front OEM seat belt warning.

SO, short circuit, for your canyon carver, to get you locked into the seat, for better control, I TOTALLY recommend the Schroth 4 pt harness with the Anti-Sumbmarine Technology. Uses factory fictures. No further modding needed. And you can adjust the tightest with the seat power control. And in an impact, fuctions like a 3 point, allowing your body to twist and not submarine under the seat belt.
And you can use the Shcroth on the streets, as it AST, like the OEM belts.

If you go to a Roll Bar a lot of more modding needed, including 6pt harness, helmet, hans device, padding...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your input. I will order and start with Quickfit pro harness.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look what I picked up today. 🤦‍♂️

I am stopping here. No more mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will you still use the Schroth 4pt ASM?
Remember the padding.
And "No more mods". 🤣
I will use the quickfit pro until this summer or fall at least.

I am not ready to install the roll-bar yet. A bit intimidated to install this thing in the car and start cutting plastic, drilling holes on my own. I am going to have a pro install the roll-bar and write the check. I will order the pads this weekend, also need to order the waist harness and crotch strap mount from watson racing. I am also looking at a set of Recaro seats but my wife is giving me the evil eyes. :(

Reactions: bullit4404

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
The roll bar is not too difficult to install. You just have to take your time and remove the front seats. Just follow the directions. One tip: The bar fits tight when arcing it into place. You may have to remove the insulation above the headliner. Make sure you seal all the bolts where they go through the floor or fender well. Good luck. Check is good as well, and a lot less skinned knuckles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update, I ended up returning the Quickfit Pro camlock and ordered the regular Quickfit buckle version. I ended up liking the regular buckle version with padding more.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Better.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts